• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (2 Viewers)

Wonderful sketches Phil.....!

There's been a couple of these birds put down..[not killed]!...in Leicestershire recently....other records have just been fly-over jobs....[think i need to get to high ground...or get a very long ladder]....

So far i have counted this autumn...none..!!

ps...never seen a breeding plum bird...they must be amazing things...[have seen rustic bunting in breeding garb tho]...:cat:

completely wonderful classic only Phil could do it drawings...makes me want to get down on the ground too, cow pats or no:-O

Really great sketches Phil! They are fresh, lively and have the sense of really being there in front of the birds. I'm going to need to come back and take another look.

Attachments

• lap resize.jpg
    lap resize.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 41
  • lap resize1.jpg
    lap resize1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 56
  • lap resize2.jpg
    lap resize2.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 38
  • lap resize3.jpg
    lap resize3.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Lap Habitat.jpg
    Lap Habitat.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 44
Thanks for your kind comments! ;)
I've decided, from now on, to offer all artworks I do to the individual website that focuses on the "patch" on which I sketched the birds. For free of course!
Normally all of my stuff would've collected dust in my many records. (Until I began this thread that is.)
I think it only fair to offer up the stuff, as a kind of thankyou, and by way of a "plug" for the habitat/area involved. And the people who commit themselves to promoting it through their tireless coverage, and expenditure on web-site upkeep. From which we all ultimately benefit...
Also as a gesture towards encouraging other artists to have a go at submitting their record sketches.
Hell! If I can do it, why can't they? ;)
When I began birding in the 70s, and into the 90s, artistic representation of bird records were to the fore. Now it seems that photography has replaced this delightful form of expression of an individual's "take" on an experience. :-C
I would really like to see more and more artwork on birding sites, to balance out the "whitewash" of photos.
And more artwork in annual bird reports.:cat:

Rant over.
Here are links to the sites where this artwork has been donated. And if you go to the first, you can get a massive download of the Laps!
(3 wonderful web-sites from my area. Paul Bowerman - Severnside Birds. Martyn Hayes - The Birds of South Gloucestershire (my birthplace.) Jason Williams - Clevedon & Portishead Birds.)

As it is my thread, thought you'd all like to learn more about where I bird and sketch, and crawl through cowpats? :-O

http://www.clevedon-portisheadbirds.com/latestnews1a.htm

http://www.thebirdsofsouthgloucestershire.co.uk/Recent News.htm

http://www.severnsidebirds.co.uk/page4.html

PS GREAT PHOTOS TOO!

PPS We watched Red Deer rutting today. But were distracted by a female Common Kestrel catching, dispatching and portioning a Short-Tailed Field Vole. Here's the last of it going down. Yum! :eat:

Attachments

• FemKesVole.jpg
    FemKesVole.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 48
good man! Get them pictures all over the internet. I think that genuine artists are equally cursed and blessed by a generosity derived from the need to share what they have seen. I remember one of my freinds telling me not to post my art on the internet as it would be too easy for people to download it, forge it, and sell it! I would love that to happen!
Maybe it's time that we all infiltrated these sightings sites with more artwork and bring artwork back to the fore.

Just zoomed into the lappies - Yes!, Yes!, Yes! Just brill!
I echo what Nick says and fully support your call for more bird art! I often yearn to bump into artistically-inclined birders when in the field, but the more I yearn, the more cameras I see! (and dog walkers).
This may be a double-edged sword, as they say, 'cos whilst searching for inspiration I suppose there'll be times when I'd compare - very 'human' and very difficult for me to avoid. I'm sure, though, after this stage, the road on which I travel would become slightly clearer!

Back to the bunts; all bird reports should have examples of this kind of work.
I'm gonna treat myself to BB Interactive for xmas so I can pore over the illustrations and field sketches of rarities at leisure. Some of the 80's and early 90's issues I posess have truly mouth-watering art in them. I wish I could travel back in time - set it to 1988, Doc, and lets have some Stock, Aitken and Waterman job on the stereo.

Russ

It's a bit like "Guerrilla Planting."
The central roundabout in my city comes up in wild flowers every year. Who has done this I don't know, but I applaud it!
(I've also done a little bit myself.;))
All it takes is for people to take the plunge and do it. Local websites are always pleased to post "a different angle" on sightings, and it certainly breaks up the endless photograph stream!
Yes, of course artists should earn a living. But this is different. It's more like a peaceful protest against the "photo overload" we all seem to be subjected to these days in birding.
I think there's enough mileage in this to start a new art thread, and get some mobilisation going. With feedbacks, where people can post their successes as links to the websites involved.
In fact I may just do that...B :)

Ooo I don't like the sound of '...everything went ploppy...'

Certainly glad you're better and returned to sketching. Superb stuff as always, that 'recording' style of yours sets you apart and allows the creation of very special work.

Mike

Glossy Sketches #1 "Preening." (WIP)

Back in September we spent a happy 2 days with a confiding Glossy Ibis. A 3 year old bird, originally ringed as a pullus in Coto Donana, Spain. It made its way to a ditch on an Industrial Estate on the outskirts of Bristol. At the time I did a few sketches. But 600+ photos were taken, primarily by Mme. U. (See collage!)
Now, with Winter approaching, I thought it time to begin working with all the data we had collected during the more clement months. Great to revisit and relive those memories again! B :)
Today I began concentrating on the Glossy's "preening poses". So many to chose from...
I attach pencil stage and initial colour washes. Hopefully a more finished result will be posted soon. Hope you enjoy them...:cat:

Attachments

• Hoar Glossy Collage resize.jpg
    Hoar Glossy Collage resize.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 56
  • HoarGlossPreenPencil100dpi.jpg
    HoarGlossPreenPencil100dpi.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 52
  • HoarGlossPreenGouache100dpi.jpg
    HoarGlossPreenGouache100dpi.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 83
Ibis are great Phil. Make a full scale painting of them! Also, looks to me like Mme. U is an excellent bird photographer. Handy to have someone like that around while you are busy sketching.

Ps. Seems to me an old cartoonist like you could make something neat out of Matteo's "Tawny Frogmouth". Just the name is funny, and certainly the birds shape lends itself to caricature!! Just a thought from my warped viewpoint!!!

Wow! These Ibis studies are right up there with your finest work, sir! Knowing how difficult preening birds are (especially those with long necks) these are quite exceptionally well done. May I be a devil and ask how much the photos played a part in these? This is not to detract from such fine work - I just wonder if it's really worth slogging away for hours with pencil and paper trying to capture that pose, when a bit of guidance from a pic would bring it all together. I need educating sometimes!

Cheers

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back