• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron adaptor available without camera? (1 Viewer)

Paul Brooks

Hi,
I'm looking at the Panasonic Lumix FS45 Camera Kit that Opticron suggest as a good fit for an Opticron HR 80 GA ED scope. The question I have is whether the adaptor is available to buy separately from the camera? II have a similar camera to that already which I'd like to try with the scope. The camera itself is available out there for less than £100 which makes the adaptor pretty pricy imho.

Cheers for any advice.

The adapter isn't available without the camera. As the adapter is machined to fit the camera exactly with no adjustment needed, unless your camera is a perfect match for the body layout of the FS45, ie same thickness, tripod mount in exactly the same place it won't work for you. As to price don't forget that roughly 20% of the price is VAT so goes to the tax man.
I have the mount for the FS7 and it is a good piece of kit.

Hi,
I have a similar camera to that already which I'd like to try with the scope.

Not even the Panasonic cameras we have used have been exactly the same from model to model. Dimensions change by millimeters or even fractions of millimeters and any change in the optical design of the lens means the positioning distance from the eyepiece of the scope can also vary very slightly each time.

We only purchase the same number of custom lens mounts as we do cameras, hence the reason that the mounts are not sold separately.

When the camera goes end of line, there are usually a dozen or so mounts left over (from customer returns or as a result of faulty cameras that went back to the supplier etc.). As a result, we have small quantities of mounts for the FS7, FS10, FS16, FS18 and FS40 in stock and which we can sell to people who have those models. Price for the mount itself is £49 and you then need a push fit adaptor for the eyepiece (priced from £50).

Camera £100
Lens mount £49
Push fit adaptor £50+
8GB SD card £free
Total price £199

Kit price? £199. And you get a nice carton to keep it all in for free :)

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back