• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Forum ? (1 Viewer)

Izzat how it works? You've got to be a sponsor to get a forum? I guess that explains why Kowa, with only two lines of binoculars, with two models in each has a forum while Meopta has two lines with nine models in the B1 series; two in 32mm (plus Cabela HD 32mm); 7x42, 8x42 and 10x42 (plus a 10x42 HD under its own label and Cabela's); 7x50, 10x50 and 12x50; and an 8x56. Plus three models in the Meopro series, and yet it doesn't have a forum.

Perhaps Meopta doesn't think sponsoring a birding forum is worthwhile because most of its customers are hunters.

<B>

For that to happen, I fear, they would have to leave a bit of sponsor-money ;-)

Cheers,
Holger

Absolute nonsense.... you really think that? Forums are created when there is sufficient demand and that often means a reasonable number of previous threads to move into amd populate a new forum.
We'll look into it.

I think he (Holger) was joking. ;)

But I do agree that it would be great if Meopta had their own forum. :)

Last edited:
He had to be kidding… after all, I just can't see arrogancia at Leica dropping even one mark (ok, Euro) to ante up for a forum.

I think he (Holger) was joking. ;)

But I do agree that it would be great if Meopta had their own forum. :)

Frank, you were a pioneer when it comes to using Meoptas for birding. I hadn't heard of the brand until you started writing about it. Steve C. has also written extensively about the brand, here and on Optics Talk.

Yes, it would appear that Holger was joking, but I'm glad that he brought up the subject so Andy could clarify how getting a forum works since I'm probably not the only one who was wondering why Kowa, with only two models, has its own forum, and Meopta with many models, does not.

As to the thread count being the main criterion, I don't have time to add them all up, but I would hazard a guess that Meopta (including the Cabela Euros) has at least as many threads on BF's general binocular forum and "Others" sub-forum as Kowa binoculars has on the general forum and Kowa forum.

Now that the Meopta/Cabela HD version has been released in the 32mm format, and an 8x42 HD is bound to follow, I think we'll see even more interest in this brand by the birding community since their former objection - slight yellow color bias - has disappeared and ED glass was added to reduce CA and to enhance contrast (another criticism in earlier models was their lackluster contrast).

Brock

I couldn't agree more with your last comments Brock.

Now, to wet your appetite on another subject, I am about to post a new thread..."A Tale of Four Porros....";)

Now that the Meopta/Cabela HD version has been released in the 32mm format, ... I think we'll see even more interest in this brand by the birding community since their former objection - slight yellow color bias - has disappeared and ED glass was added to reduce CA and to enhance contrast (another criticism in earlier models was their lackluster contrast).

Brock

I have a Meopta/Cabela HD 8x32 (bought from Cabela's last week) and I, a complete novice, saw right away it is more yellow than Zeiss HT, Nikon M7, Cabela's cheap porro, and old Leupold. Very sharp, bright, contrasty, handling is good for me, and eye cups full down are perfect for my glasses. However, eye cups do not extend far enough for my wife who does not use glasses, and must hold just on/short of her brow. A bit heavy, but ounce less than Zeiss Conquest HD, and not too shakey for me. Focus knob a notch down from the top.

I like them because they are easy to use, and quite close optically to HT using my untrained eyes.

Absolute nonsense.... you really think that? Forums are created when there is sufficient demand and that often means a reasonable number of previous threads to move into amd populate a new forum.
We'll look into it.

Yes Meopta makes some nice upscale bins. However several brand specific forums can go for weeks between posts. A few have not had a post for well over a month. While I think Meopta would initially generate some traffic it too could lapse into long stretches of silence. I wonder if the less frequently discussed brands would get more sets of eyes and possibly more posts in the general discussion forum.

I couldn't agree more with your last comments Brock.

Now, to wet your appetite on another subject, I am about to post a new thread..."A Tale of Four Porros....";)
"whet your appetite" Frank, unless you're trying to conjure up a image of Brock slobbering like a dog 8-P

Izzat how it works? You've got to be a sponsor to get a forum? I guess that explains why Kowa, with only two lines of binoculars, with two models in each has a forum

Brock - I've seen you repeat this odd falsehood elsewhere. Where did you get this tidbit of easily-verified-as-inaccurate info?

Kowa has FIVE current binocular lines listed on their website:

- entry level YF porros (Leupold Yo clone class in 6x30 and 8x30)
- entry level SV roofs (8x32, 8x42, 8x42, 10x50, 12x50)
- mid level BD roofs (8x25, 10x25, 8x32, 10x32, 8x42, 10x42)
- high end Genesis (8x33, 10x33, 8.5x44, 10.5x44)
- mega sized Highlander (normal and fluorite)

That's a total of 19 models across the five lines. Plus they appear to be coming out with a new Prominar version of the BD models.

Http://Kowasporting.com/binoculars

I have a Meopta/Cabela HD 8x32 (bought from Cabela's last week) and I, a complete novice, saw right away it is more yellow than Zeiss HT, Nikon M7, Cabela's cheap porro, and old Leupold.

:-C
The yellow hue (which to a certain degree impacts the contrast and brightness) is the only thing I don't like about the older Meostar 8x32.
I am planning/was planning to swap for the Meopta badged Meostar HD when it is released. I wish someone could have both versions side by side for a review.
The new version must have considerably better colour representation if it's going to be worth upgrading.

//L

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back