• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rawshooter and Canon 400D raw files: problems? Solution! (1 Viewer)

First 40D picture processed in RSE...

I love how smooth the BG is (yes I know, it's "only" 400 ISO) - but normally I'd NR 30D pictures to get that level of smoothness.

Attachments

• redshank1.jpg
    redshank1.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 194
Heh!

Tell you something else too - the 40D attracts waders!

I got some curlews and redshank today that came much closer than they've ever done with my 30D or Nikons!

;)

Canon should make more of that feature!

;) ;) ;)

Keith, I must be a bit thick this morning, but what program is RSE is it Rawshooter my version can't see the files.I am having a heck of a job to find any software that will work with the 40D raw files. The programs that won't work are Capture One pro, Rawshooter won't, Lightroom is so slow I can make a drink while it load the files the same with every move of the sliders. Bridge is about the only one that will work but have to convert before doing any editing.

Hi Christine,

yep, RSE is RawShooter Essentials.

For it to recognise 40D files you have to apply the workaround detailed in the first post of this thread.

Basically, you open the RawShooter exe file in a hex editor, replacing every instance of (say) "10D" with "40D" and saving.

Then, download the latest Adobe DNG converter (it's free) and convert your 40D files to DNGs with it.

RSE will now recognise, process and convert your 40D DNG files just as if it was born to do it..!

;)

It's a bit of extra hassle, but worth it, I think.

Last edited:
Thanks Keith, sorry I didn't get back to you straight away I had a competition to go to. We decided last night to cut it short and come home. I will give it a go at changing the file and see how it goes, lightroom and DPP are so slow to open files and it was driving me mad.

Hi Christine,

someone on another forum identified a worthwhile improvement to my workflow which might be worth mentioning here.

I'd been copying the files off my CF card onto my hard drive, then converting them to DNG, then opening them in RSE.

What I'm doing now is combining the first two steps into one: I open the DNG converter, specify my CF card (or rather, the card reader) as the source (which means that it doesn't need to change from one use to the next), and convert to DNGs into the folder I select.

Job done.

I've also decided that it's pointless keeping the CR2 files after conversion to DNG.

I am worried about whether this might impact on the usefulness of Highlight Tone Priority (HTP) - in case only DPP can read that setting, so I still need to test that.

Last edited:
Thanks Keith,
I would be careful about deleting the raw files, I know they say that DNG may take over in the future but I would be worried in case it didn't take off and then we are left with files we can't use. I have still to download a hex editor I haven't got one at the moment.

Keith, I am only working with DNG now but still keep the CR2s. My biggest concern is that a future release of the convertor will have a bug that frags the data in the DNG files. Unlikely but...

HTP - that is an interesting thought Keith. As I understand it, from the limited info Canon has made available, the camera processes the sensor information differently to get more headroom from the highlights (similar to the push style processing at ISO 50 in the 5D). After that it is in the RAW processor and specific tonal curve. I believe that the latest ACR handles Canon HTP, so I assume that the DNG convertor will...but I doubt RSE will handle the data in the DNG in the best way possible.

Looks like you need a brightly lit, crinkled white subject against a white background to compare...

Having just re-read that, could I have got in any more acronyms? ;)

Last edited:
Hi all,

I haven't made the final decision as yet about whether to bin the CR2s - it wouldn't be hard to just dump 'em to DVD instead.

As to HTP, I've got a a few RAW converters on my PC at the moment including DPP, so I'll take some shots which demonstrate HTP's effect when converted in DPP, then convert them (either as CR2s or DNGs) in RSE, BBP, CO LE, CO 4, Bibble Lite (dammit! no acronym for that! ;)) and see what I can figure out.

You win on Acronyms Keith! ;)

I am planning on DVDing my keeper CR2s - I need to reduce the rate I am burning through HDD space!

Keith I still haven't found a hex editor that will do the job in changing rawshooter. I am getting rather frustrated with lightroom it is so slow and it is introducing lots of colour noise which I can't get rid of. I can view the files in Fastone viewer and there is no noise so know its only the program.

I used PSPad to edit the file, Christine (tick "As Text" in the search dialog if you decide to have a go).

But if you want to PM me with an email address, I can send you a "fixed" version of the RSE exe file (it's only 1.5 mb - less if I Zip it).

You should then simply be able to rename the current one (that's your back-up) and drop the emailed one straight into the RSE folder.

Thanks Keith, unfortunately freeserve won't allow me to download anything bigger than 1gb, I just wouldn't receive it, thanks anyway I will get PSPad and have a go. PSpad is in a foreign language how do I change it to english ?.

Mine is in English, Christine - aren't you given the choice of language during installation?

Incidentally, the zipped RSE exe file is only 615kb...

No installation, it download as a cab file which I extracted in a directory I made. No installation instructions. I tried deleting all the language files except the english one but still foreign.

Managed it, I had downloaded from their website which was the cab file. I have now downloaded from snapfiles which is an exe file, its installed fine. I have saved a couple of photos as dng to test and they are showing, I am going to play a little with a copy of the rawshooter file in the hex editor and see if I can get it to see the raw files. Thanks for your help Keith.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back