• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone up for a challenge? (1 Viewer)

mike from ebbw

please have a look at the attached pic of a little grebe i took on saturday.as you can see due to the high iso and the conditions it came out really noisy.i have tried to get rid of the noise in photoshop and neatimage but due to being fairly new at using these programmes this is the best i can come up with.please feel free (if you are bored that is) to have a go.
cheers,mike.

Attachments

• ff copy.jpg
    ff copy.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 271
I'm bored all right - off work for a week and miserable weather :-C

Any better?

Attachments

• ff copyo.JPG
    ff copyo.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 169
Or Maybe This!!!!!
A great original shot as it is anyway Mike.

Attachments

• ff copy.jpg
    ff copy.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Mike, there is nothing wrong with your shot other than that it was taken in drab, grey, flat light (but Bob has made a good job of resurrecting it).

Colin

Attachments

• Little Grebe 002 (Medium).JPG
    Little Grebe 002 (Medium).JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 141
thanks everyone for having a go.i wish i had the light you had when you took yours colin.what programme did you use bob?that is one hell of a difference!

Yo Mike,

Just got back on BirdForum and found your Thread!
How do I save this image to mess about with?

Gary

Not much noise in there at all, but some visible at 300% in photoshop.

I put this one through Picture Cooler and then re-sharpened the bird. Result is similar to Bob's.

Attachments

• filtered_untitled2.jpg
    filtered_untitled2.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 119
That's weird, I tried that in the first place and ended up with a small thumbnail, now it's saved OK....... must be the homebrew!
Here's my effort.
To be honest I thought the original was fine.
If you shoot at a high ISO/ASA you'll get noise and any manipulation will degrade the image to some extent. Also, anyone trying to re-manipulate and resave as a JPG will never match the origianl posted image due to further compression!

Attachments

• ff copy.jpg
    ff copy.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 115
Gary Howells said:
That's weird, I tried that in the first place and ended up with a small thumbnail, now it's saved OK....... must be the homebrew!
Here's my effort.
To be honest I thought the original was fine.
If you shoot at a high ISO/ASA you'll get noise and any manipulation will degrade the image to some extent. Also, anyone trying to re-manipulate and resave as a JPG will never match the origianl posted image due to further compression!

Yup, just to repeat what I and others have already said, the original shot was fine and didn't shout "noise" to me. I think that some of the attempts to improve it have been over-sharpened and give a "synthetic" look (Bob's is the best, though).

I just chucked my shot of a juv. Little Grebe in because I liked the lighting and the dappled shade on the bird from the reed stems. This is a heavily cropped shot (the bird was about 80 metres away as far as I recall) with no post processing.

I often go to this locality (the lake at Quinta da Lago) and have taken many hundreds of shots of the same species of grebes, ducks, etc under very different light conditions and know that if the lighting in the original (JPEG or RAW) is not good then any amount of post processing will not make a drab shot perfect.

Colin

Here's my try :

1- I would crop it a bit differently ( thats why i cut out your signature , sorry ) . - A matter of composition .

2- Photoshop . ( S\H , Levels, contrast, colors, usm )

I don't find your photo to be noisy , it has turned a bit noisy after the crop .
( on the original i would expect almost no noise ) .
Neat Image did not help in this case...

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 125
thanks again everyone.i think if i had the original back from the processers when i was using film i would have been chuffed to bits.i find since turning digital i have become a lot more fussy.

mike from ebbw said:
please have a look at the attached pic of a little grebe i took on saturday.as you can see due to the high iso and the conditions it came out really noisy.i have tried to get rid of the noise in photoshop and neatimage but due to being fairly new at using these programmes this is the best i can come up with.please feel free (if you are bored that is) to have a go.
cheers,mike.

I wish all my pictures were as disappointing lol looks good to me

mike from ebbw said:
thanks again everyone.i think if i had the original back from the processers when i was using film i would have been chuffed to bits.i find since turning digital i have become a lot more fussy.

Mike,

If you ever become satisfied with the shots you take, you will cease to improve.

Colin :brains:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back