• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht SLC Binoculars 8x30WB (1 Viewer)

lozninja

Hi there i hope you guys can help .

I purchaesd these for my husbands xmas pressie second hand , Do you guys have any experience on these binos at all . I hope ive done the right thing ?
Any comments will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Maxine

Maxine,
It is a very high quality binocular. If it has no problems (being 2nd hand) he should be happy with it. Here are it's vital statistics and price (as new) in US funds. (See link below.)

It has short eye relief, so if he wears glasses he will have to roll down the rubber eye cups when he uses it (if it has rubber eye cups) and he might not be able to see the entire field of view, but it has a very wide field of view to begin with.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/swarovski.pl?page=swarovskihabicht8x30

Bob

Last edited:
Thanks For Your Responce & Help

Unfortunatly the link that you put up for the Swarovski Habicht SLC Binoculars 8x30WB Is wrong .

The ones i have purchased don't look anything like that at all .
They are not prro prism . They are Roof prism i think there called .
Black rubber with quite large rubber eyecaps .

I hope this throws some light on the situation ....

Many thanks again For your assistance

Maxine

The ones i have purchased don't look anything like that at all .
They are not prro prism . They are Roof prism i think there called .
Black rubber with quite large rubber eyecaps .
Maxine

Like this, I suppose:

Attachments

• slc 30.jpg
    slc 30.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 385
Yes Thats Correct Well Done

Are thsese your items or are they a link from a website etc.
If they are yours do you have any comments on them or reports ???

Again Many Thanks for your help

Maxine

Are thsese your items or are they a link from a website etc.
If they are yours do you have any comments on them or reports ???

Again Many Thanks for your help

Maxine

Hello!
No, these are not mine (unfortunately).
I have cast an eye on the SLC 30 but I am undecided.
If you ask 5 people about a specific binocular you will get 6 different opinions. ;)
As far as objective criteria go (i.e. measurable performance data), the Swarovski SLCs are absolute top league, among the best in the world.

If the one you've bought is in a good condition it should give top notch performance.
(If you've bought already, it's too late now anyway, isn't it?!)

Enjoy the fine instrument,
Tom

Hello Maxine,
I have used, and enjoyed, my SLC 8x30's for over ten years. While I have other first class binoculars, they still get a lot of use and work perfectly for almost all my viewing needs. Do you have any specific questions regarding them?
Regards, John (Originally from Southwick, Sussex)

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=171106&stc=1&d=1228471622

These Are The Ones ! Once Again Any Ideas Or Suggestions ???
Getting Technical It May Work First Picture !!

Maxine

If there is a flat glass plate in front of each objective lens (the big one in the front), then it is a waterproof Mk II model that is phase corrected. If not, it is not waterproof or phase corrected, it is a Mk I and the view will be darker.

I have owned and used a Mk II since 1993, and consider it to be fantastic even by today's standards. It's small, light and very handy. A great birding binocular. It also travels well.

Over time the seals may dry out, but Swarovski has fixed them with a smile — at no cost. The rubber eyecups should be treated with Armor-All every year or so to keep them supple, particularly if they are folded down for use with eyeglasses.

All in all, it's hard to go wrong.

Ed

I may be missing something here. I always thought that the SLC was a roof and the Habicht was the porro. It seems Cesar posted a Habicht link and everybody else has posted SLC photos.

I think I've seen the older SLC also being called an SLC Habicht.

Didn't this conversation already happen on another thread ;)

Search for Habicht in the Swaro forum (I think!).

I always made the same assumption too but it seems Swaro played a little fast and loose with this term a short while back (for the first small roofs? IIRC).

It is confusing, I admit. However, this is how Swarovski referred to their own products in the 1990s. Everything was a Habicht! The binocular in question is the one pictured on the right, except in black.

Personally, as I mentioned on the earlier thread, I prefer the word "Traditional" for the leather covered Porros, which they have also used.

Ed

Attachments

• Swaro Habiche.jpg
    Swaro Habiche.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 273
Well: Live and learn! In any case it is, or was, a quality binocular for it's time, and depending on it's condition and age is still useful. Especially if it has phase coated prisms. Roof prisms have had numerous up grades to their optics in the last decade or so while top quality Porro's like the Habichts have really not needed them.

Thanks for the pictures Ed.

Bob

Thanks for all your responces on these binoculars they are as pictured below but they where sold to me as the name : Swarovski Habicht SLC Binoculars 8x30WB so i dont know . Hopefully they will be okay .

One again many thanks Maxine.

Attachments

• SWASKI BINOS.jpg
    SWASKI BINOS.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 151
Maxine, The picture I attached is a 8x30 SLC from 1990/91 and it is in the same box as the one my Swarovski SLC 7x30 came in and I think that I bought mine in 1988. Mine does not have the optical window so is not fully WP. I used it hard up to 2003 and noticed some black spots on the prism line. I contacted Swarovski of North America [SONA] and they told me to send it back to them and they replaced everything except the eyeglass and objective glass, in other words this binocular looked new when I got it back. It cost me $9 for shipping.As far as the view, I have had some pretty picky people say they liked this binocular, except the focuser location.
Regards,Steve

Attachments

• swaro 8x30 2 (Small).jpg
    swaro 8x30 2 (Small).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 291
Thanks for all your responces on these binoculars they are as pictured below but they where sold to me as the name : Swarovski Habicht SLC Binoculars 8x30WB so i dont know . Hopefully they will be okay .

One again many thanks Maxine.

Hi Maxine, I was wondering if this SLC binocular was ok and if it was the Mk II?

Regards,Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back