• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

California Bird - Grey with Yellow Underside (1 Viewer)

Norogoth

Hello all this is my first post. I made this account because some birds have been driving me crazy as far as IDing them goes.

Today I saw a bird in Colton, southern California that was Mockingbird-sized, had a black head, and slender beak, yellow undersides, white rump, black tail-feathers and was grey everywhere else. I think it's body was somewhat close to a fly-catcher though it had a pretty slender head (no prominent crown). It was sitting at the very top of a tree for a while (like a fly-catcher would if he was hawking for insects). I believe it was eating a nut or a seed when I looked at it.

Thank you for your help!

:eat:

Cassin's kingbird or western kingbird sounds like a good match. Cassin's sounds more likely in your situation, western is usually more a wild bird found away from urban areas (with exceptions here and there) and doesn't seem to perch high in trees so often.

Cassin's kingbird or western kingbird sounds like a good match. Cassin's sounds more likely in your situation, western is usually more a wild bird found away from urban areas (with exceptions here and there) and doesn't seem to perch high in trees so often.
It'd have to be leucistic / partial albino on its rump, though!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back