• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a merlin? (1 Viewer)

jeen1965

I saw this one along a river and it looked like a merlin to me. Is it a merlin? -thanks-Jeen.

Attachments

• IMG_4334 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_4334 (800x600).jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 269
The reddish/brown back and its apparent small size (though not much to contrast against) makes me go with American Kestrel.

American Kestrel would have a double "mustache", rufous cap, and stippled, more rufous back. It's some other falcon.

That would leave Merlin - unless a young Peregrine is possible?

Merlin. Am Kestrel has a longer tail and the 'spots' on the flank tend to be black on a pale background, not white on a dark background as well as the points raised by nartreb.

It's a Merlin possibly a 1st Winter, the pale nape patch can be found on other immature Falcons/Accips. American Kestrel apart from having more rufous upper-parts, would not have the wing structure as shown on the OP's bird.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back