• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So California USA, large marsh birds (1 Viewer)

Juju222

These three birds we saw at a distance of several hundred yards...I used the digital zoom to photograph them. In these photos, they look like little birds, but they were about 20" tall, I would guess. There is one in the tree, and at first I thought it was an owl, but maybe it is another of these birds. The only other large birds we saw in the vicinity were egrets.

This was in the shrubbery on the edge of a dammed (not damned lol) wash. (In the third photo, I have placed a text just above the bird's head)

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Juju222

Attachments

• large marsh bird1.jpg
    large marsh bird1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 131
  • large marsh bird2.jpg
    large marsh bird2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 3 marsh birds.jpg
    3 marsh birds.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 130
Hi Lou, I took the picture about 4 p.m. yesterday (April 23rd). (What does "all 2cy" mean??) I thought they might be juvenile herons of some sort!

Judy

lou salomon said:
they look like immature black-crowned night herons to me, all 2cy. when did you take the pic?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back