• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tropical Forest Canopy (Australia) as Birds see it (1 Viewer)

That's the Skyrail, a cable car which which runs from Cairns to Kuranda over the top of the mountains. I took my nephew on it just this Monday.

It's a brilliant way for seeing the rainforest from a birds-eye view.

That's the Skyrail, a cable car which which runs from Cairns to Kuranda over the top of the mountains. I took my nephew on it just this Monday.

It's a brilliant way for seeing the rainforest from a birds-eye view.

Hello, Chowchilla,
Yes, this is in Cairns, but this is a different facility -- High Canopy Research Crane (shown in the video) with remotely operated gondola (shadow on the canopy). The whole network of 11 of such cranes around the world is falling apart because of the lack of finances for research. Shame...The one in the conifer old-growth forest in USA (please see that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kgTP-CczBM&feature=plcp) was closed last year. Very sad.

Hello, Chowchilla,
Yes, this is in Cairns, but this is a different facility -- High Canopy Research Crane (shown in the video) with remotely operated gondola (shadow on the canopy). The whole network of 11 of such cranes around the world is falling apart because of the lack of finances for research. Shame...The one in the conifer old-growth forest in USA (please see that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kgTP-CczBM&feature=plcp) was closed last year. Very sad.
Wow you could have fooled me! Looks just like it! Where does it operate then and is it open to the public?

It is 140 km north from Cairns (16°17’ S, 145°29’ E) at Cape Tribulation; is still predominantly used for research, but probably is available for visitors for $$. By the way, please pass my greetings to Australia, Cairns, and specifically -- to this amazing area!
Best regards, SP

That's the Skyrail, a cable car which which runs from Cairns to Kuranda over the top of the mountains. I took my nephew on it just this Monday. It's a brilliant way for seeing the rainforest from a birds-eye view.

Chowch,
Now you could have a project, called the Skyrail Patch-Work, carrying out a canopy bird survey four times a day on the same schedule for a year! I could do that any time, and you could get pretty useful results out of it.

How's your nephew's birding coming on?
MJB

Chowch,
Now you could have a project, called the Skyrail Patch-Work, carrying out a canopy bird survey four times a day on the same schedule for a year! I could do that any time, and you could get pretty useful results out of it.

How's your nephew's birding coming on?
MJB
Hey Mike, nice thought mate! I wouldn't mind a research project to take me away from the tedium of work right now.

My nephew never had an interest in birds alas and he's now freezing his butt off in Melb'n. His loss.

It is 140 km north from Cairns (16°17’ S, 145°29’ E) at Cape Tribulation; is still predominantly used for research, but probably is available for visitors for $$. By the way, please pass my greetings to Australia, Cairns, and specifically -- to this amazing area!
Best regards, SP
Thanks Sergei. Best of time of year is now as well. Beautiful sunny days and low humidity.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back