• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When is it safe to mow? (1 Viewer)

OK i am lucky enough to be the caretaker of some woods and mowing grass- I know I had sky larks and other ground nesting birds - i was able to lock out the people for most of the spring and summer but grass is collapsing now and will need cropping - when is it safest to do this? thanks for your time........

Agricultural outreach programs here offers specific info that relates to hay crops and birds & other critters that might be sensitive. Perhaps same is available there. Might try local centers of higher education for assistance.

Have used info given over here in past, delaying a few weeks until late june-early july was suggested. Last sentence isnt guideline by any means, usually whats suggested. Our bobolinks and some sparrows here for example have been hard hit by exactly this. Conservation outreach programs ask folks adjust schedule accordingly, has to be tailored to specific area.

If area isnt too large, scouting type stroll might be helpful in displaying anything worrisome.

This is probably not what you were hoping to hear but BTO Birdfacts gives the first laying date for skylark as late April to early July Skylarks lay multiple broods (1-4) so probably not entirely safe until September.

Thank you for your comments- September it is then!

It doesn't worry me when it is cropped as I just give it away to who ever does the job, but it is good to keep pernicious weeds at bay.

Last edited:
Minimum 1 August, most species finished by then. 15 August safer.

Unless you are an East European farmer, in which case the E.U. pays you a subsidy to cut grass with a stipulation it must be done right in the middle of the breeding season regardless of the numerous Corncrakes, etc, that are breeding. A criminal dose of irresponsibility by the E.U., made worse by the fact that much of the grass is dumped, not wanted by the fartmers, just cut to get the payment.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back