• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ruddy Duck cull continuing (1 Viewer)

ok pete...1 i keep my house clean so an "infestation" isnt likely and if there was 1 or 2 .so what they do no harm...2...pigeons eating crops??? thats called living isnt it..farmers arent know for animal kindness so they would shoot anything if i made them some money....3..pick hedgehogs up or trap and relocate(expesive prob but we waste billions) 4 cats going mental on some island ???tough 1 coz im not a cat fan ..they kill and dont eat ...like humans..ill pass on that 1 ..5mink should be left alone ..not nice but .. humans made the mess on the last 3 and killing more things to put it right seems daft to me...more to come no doubt

Its very worrying that someone that obviously thinks of themselves as a wildlife lover can come out with things like this.
"Minks should be left alone" dear me.

but are we as enthusiastic I wonder (and as we ought to be) at removing the invasive plants

Animal Aid and the like have lots of free time. Sentence them to community service of picking invasive plants. :D

PS. And then bait some veggies who think plants have feelings. ;)

ok pete...1 i keep my house clean so an "infestation" isnt likely and if there was 1 or 2 .so what they do no harm...2...pigeons eating crops??? thats called living isnt it..farmers arent know for animal kindness so they would shoot anything if i made them some money....3..pick hedgehogs up or trap and relocate(expesive prob but we waste billions) 4 cats going mental on some island ???tough 1 coz im not a cat fan ..they kill and dont eat ...like humans..ill pass on that 1 ..5mink should be left alone ..not nice but .. humans made the mess on the last 3 and killing more things to put it right seems daft to me...more to come no doubt

Arnie, I hope you don't take this the wrong way; but are you quite young?

Its very worrying that someone that obviously thinks of themselves as a wildlife lover can come out with things like this.
"Minks should be left alone" dear me.

I would go further and say that's it's miopic ignorance such as this that gets us into these situations - many of the mink that have destroyed our resident birds and mammals were released by those thinking they were doing good. Dreadful.

Even if he is, that's no excuse! I'm 14 and even I've answered all of his questions in proper, easily readable English!

Sam

You've misinterpreted my meaning, Sam; grammar and typing skill has nothing to do with age. I was trying to understand the reasons for Arnie's sentiments.

You've misinterpreted my meaning, Sam; grammar and typing skill has nothing to do with age. I was trying to understand the reasons for Arnie's sentiments.

Ok fair enough, I'm hot-headed after dipping the Yellowthroat yesterday 8-P . But again, I think I've put across fair, non-biased arguments without using derogatory language or making my self look a loon.

Sam

I am aghast that anyone who has an interest in wildlife can seriously suggest that Mink be 'left alone'. I do hope, Arnie, that you wouldn't have been one of those who so irresponsibly released Mink from 'fur farms' in the first place. Presumably, Arnie, you are also against getting rid of rats from seabird islands,

1 i keep my house clean so an "infestation" isnt likely and if there was 1 or 2 .so what they do no harm...

You don't need a filthy house to have a rat problem. And they carry a host of diseases, breed like mad, and are a public health hazard. Are you seriously saying you'd be happy to live with rats in your house?!

2...pigeons eating crops??? thats called living isnt it..farmers arent know for animal kindness so they would shoot anything if i made them some money

So farmers aren't allowed to kill anything at all that threaten their livelihood (and our food supply)? What about crows? Rats? Colorado Beetles?

3..pick hedgehogs up or trap and relocate(expesive prob but we waste billions)

Lovely idea but very expensive and impractical. And we don't waste "billions"; I'd love to see a wildlife organisation with "billions" to waste.

4 cats going mental on some island ???tough 1 coz im not a cat fan ..they kill and dont eat ...like humans..ill pass on that

When it gets to an animal you don't like you soften. Very telling, I think. Plus "cats going mental on some island" isn't some hypothetical situation. It has happened scores of times, and is still happening. If you want I can give you a list of species that are extinct because of this very situation.

1 ..5mink should be left alone ..not nice but .. humans made the mess on the last 3 and killing more things to put it right seems daft to me...more to come no doubt

So you actually don't care if Water Voles go extinct in Britain? Or, as you're lumping the last three into this, whole island species become extinct because some sailors have been idiots with cats, rats, pigs, mongooses, etc? How is that in any way right?

Last edited:
I think it's reasonable to say that there will always be a number of viewpoints and there will always be hypocrisy...Some vegans who wont eat honey because it 'exploits' bees for something they'll do regardless of whether we eat it or not, happily 'exploit' a dog as a pet or go to crufts to watch an animal being 'exploited' for entertainment, and argue on one hand that we are animals and no better than other animals, and on the other exploit other humans (squatting).

Some animal rights activists (I've known a few including the one who got arrested for 'allegedly' blowing up the oxford boathouse) consider it ok to release mink etc into the wild (whether the sole cause or not certainly contributed to many massive wildlife problems) to 'rescue' a few individuals of one species (causing many more to be killed) with no regard for another indigenous species which may become extinct for their actions

Quite frankly there's a reason why a body like the RSPB has to make a decision on something like Ruddy Ducks rather than so called 'passionate' parties, and it's because if we were left with a 'it lives and we have no right to take a life away' attitude we'd be left with a few successful species dominating purely through our own endeavor, and many extinctions that we cause. It takes taking responsibility for something noone is comfortable with, but we have caused, and like it or not is neccesary.

Tackle the source of the problem and nothing else, and that is the pet trade, the right to keep captive animals unlicenced and without responsiblility, and prats who let animals that are kept responisbly into the wild because they are 'passionate'

Last edited:
a lot of you are pissing me off now ..saying im young cant type etc etc ,...im 41 i love animals and birds and im getting a right shafting from all of you. if id said i wanna collect eggs and poison goshawks i wouldnt ve had a tougher time,,,can you read all that you T**ts

I do hope, Arnie, that you wouldn't have been one of those who so irresponsibly released Mink from 'fur farms' in the first place.

thats pissed me off!!! go give the b stard s who kill seals and mink foxhunters etc a hard time not me !

I don't have a problem with grammar but occasionally my fingers don't find the keys I want - Arnie if you need to slow down or read you posts back before pressing submit, it will result in more respect for your posts - that must surely be a good thing?

Conservation is NOT about being nice to animals. Its about maintaining and restoring habitats and ecosystems to as near pristine as possible and the overarching rule in every case has to be protecting native species. That inevitably sometimes has to mean killing non-native species. This is not a judgement on individual animals, it is about preserving biodiversity. If unrestrained Mink were allowed to finish off British Water Voles, we would not only lose a charismatic native species, but an animal that helps maintain rivers and streams through its curbing of bankside vegetation. We have seen before how stopping something can have quite unexpected effects (e.g. loss of Large Blue butterflies due to ending of fiercely close cropping of the sward). There is so much we don't know about how inappropriate animals and plants can have knock-on effects on ecosystems.

Culling is expensive and requires persistence - it is no good doing a ninety percent job and then stopping, the population being culled will just march on doing its th again. Accordingly, conservation culling is a decision taken with reluctance after due consideration of lots of scientific evidence. This contrasts with economic culling which is done to preserve profits and authorised to keep votes (I'm talking Badgers now, right?)

I have spent happy hours watching Mink on my local waterways but I recognise that they must be annihilated for the benefit of the real UK wildlife. You need to start taking a less naive view and considering thedeep implications of the things said to you instead of shooting from the hip all the time.

John

To some degree grammar, typing skill and lack of spell-check may very well be age-related although I think all age-groups can be guilty of this. However, when trying to interpret people's sentiments, sloppy writing and punctuation etc. can make things much harder.
Russ
PS I fervently hope there are no errors above otherwise I'm in for it!!

I don't have a problem with grammar but occasionally my fingers don't find the keys I want - Arnie if you need to slow down or read you posts back before pressing submit, it will result in more respect for your posts - that must surely be a good thing?

Conservation is NOT about being nice to animals. Its about maintaining and restoring habitats and ecosystems to as near pristine as possible and the overarching rule in every case has to be protecting native species. That inevitably sometimes has to mean killing non-native species. This is not a judgement on individual animals, it is about preserving biodiversity. If unrestrained Mink were allowed to finish off British Water Voles, we would not only lose a charismatic native species, but an animal that helps maintain rivers and streams through its curbing of bankside vegetation. We have seen before how stopping something can have quite unexpected effects (e.g. loss of Large Blue butterflies due to ending of fiercely close cropping of the sward). There is so much we don't know about how inappropriate animals and plants can have knock-on effects on ecosystems.

Culling is expensive and requires persistence - it is no good doing a ninety percent job and then stopping, the population being culled will just march on doing its th again. Accordingly, conservation culling is a decision taken with reluctance after due consideration of lots of scientific evidence. This contrasts with economic culling which is done to preserve profits and authorised to keep votes (I'm talking Badgers now, right?)

I have spent happy hours watching Mink on my local waterways but I recognise that they must be annihilated for the benefit of the real UK wildlife. You need to start taking a less naive view and considering thedeep implications of the things said to you instead of shooting from the hip all the time.

John
A very considered and succinct reply; put better than I would've done.

a lot of you are pissing me off now ..saying im young cant type etc etc ,...im 41 i love animals and birds and im getting a right shafting from all of you. if id said i wanna collect eggs and poison goshawks i wouldnt ve had a tougher time,,,can you read all that you T**ts

John's replied with all that needs saying so I'll leave it there.

I can't believe you called us all twits! ;)

(And actually if you'd said you want to collect eggs and poison goshawks, I would have reported you to the mods and forwarded your posts to the police, so yes you would have got a tougher time).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back