• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptor in North Wales (1 Viewer)

Borobirdy1

First time on the forum. I was asked to ID this bird by a family friend. It was seen on 1st June over the Llangollen side of Ruabon moor near Wrexham in North Wales. A juvenile golden eagle has been seen in that area around that time and they wondered if this could be it? I'm not great with raptors but looked more Marsh Harrier to me? Not sure of size but said was very big. Picture has been cropped a lot so not great. any thoughts much appreciated .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 230
I know the angle's not great but is it not a bit dark towards the back of the wing for Buzzard? My first impression was Marsh Harrier

The wing markings do not fit Marsh Harrier, and tail seems too short and broad. Proportions and markings fit better for Buzzard. Had the picture been taken in the Balkans, I would have suggested Long-legged Buzzard because of its eagle like jizz;)

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back