• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Problem with ED50 tripod mount? (1 Viewer)

Blincodave

Faulty build with ED50 tripod mount?

Hi,

Just about to purchase an ED50 but notice two members (Dogfish and PDuxon) have reported the need for repairs to the tripod mount. Have any other users had this problem yet? If so, was it with an angled or straight version - just wondered if certain production batches might be involved or if it might be a broader problem perhaps caused by the scope carrying the weight of shoulder pods/monopods as opposed to sitting on a tripod.

Dave

Last edited:
Dave,
I have just bought an angled ED50 which I am delighted with. Its my first scope and the performance seems fine, its so light and easy to carry and it does allow use of eye pieces on a bigger scope if i decide to make a further investment. Maybe its too early to make a judgement on the tripod mount but no problems so far.
Regards Pat

ED50 tripod base thread problems

I had a problem where the screw thread pulled out from the tripod mount which, without reading the other posts you referred to, is what I guess happened to Dogfish and PDuxon.

I got a quick replacement from WarehouseExpress without any fuss. I avoid using the straps on the ED50 case while there is a tripod or monopod mounted to the scope. When carrying the scope with monopod, I ensure I use straps attached to the monopod.

I have a tilting head on a Manfrotto Neotec monopod and I am VERY happy with this configuration, to the extent that I hardly use my ED82 these days!

Regards

Andy

Blincodave said:
Hi,

Just about to purchase an ED50 but notice two members (Dogfish and PDuxon) have reported the need for repairs to the tripod mount. Have any other users had this problem yet? If so, was it with an angled or straight version - just wondered if certain production batches might be involved or if it might be a broader problem perhaps caused by the scope carrying the weight of shoulder pods/monopods as opposed to sitting on a tripod.

Dave

Andy Webb said:
I had a problem where the screw thread pulled out from the tripod mount which, without reading the other posts you referred to, is what I guess happened to Dogfish and PDuxon.

This is a bit worrying; it's happened to a few people now. The build quality of this part of the instrument is appalling; let all owners and would-be owners be warned. I had briefly carried the scope with a (v. light) Cullman shoulder pod attached, but never had a tripod dangling from it. My ED50 is with Nikon UK at present.

The optics are excellent, but if you can't attach the thing to a tri/mono/shoulder pod its usefulness is limited.

Sean

the problem with mine happened when I put the delta IV tripod. been ok with the cullman shoulderpod on it.

ED50 tripod mount

Blincodave said:
Hi,

Dave

Hi

I have an ED50 and have mounted it on a tripod for quite a while with no problems at all, an excellent small scope.

Dave

noddy008 said:
Hi

I have an ED50 and have mounted it on a tripod for quite a while with no problems at all, an excellent small scope.

Dave
Same here - since having a problem with a different scope in the past caused by my overtightening the tripod screw, I always now take extra care not to do so. Looking at my ED50 the tripod mount seems perfectly well made and secure.

??ampo]Looking at my ED50 the tripod mount seems perfectly well made and secure.[/QUOTE]

I looked at my ED50 and thought it looked great too, Steve. Then it fell apart. I think there's a problem with this bit of the scope, as several members of this forum can attest. The construction is of very soft, presumably cheap, metal, which simply 'unravels' under very little pressure. There's a revealing contrast between the superb build quality of Nikon's Japanese scopes in this regard and the made-in-China ED50.
I'd advise all ED50 owners to handle the tripod fitting very carefully.

Sean

Thanks for the tip. I've had my scope quite a time and no problems so far at all but I'll now take extra care just in case. As I said, I did have a similar problem with another scope but on that one there was a small chrome-plated "thread within a thread", as it were, and all I needed to do was buy a new threaded sleeve. If the Nikon goes it is, presumably, going to be a factory repair (under warranty)?

dogfish said:
Nikon are in the process of fixing it at their Richmond HQ but are charging £41.

Sean

now that's curious. I took mine back to infocus and it was done free of charge

Blincodave said:
Surely it was still under Nikon's 10 year warranty?

Dave

Probably should be, and I should have challenged it, but didn't. With hindsight, I probably should have taken it back to infocus, where I bought it.

Sean

dogfish said:
Probably should be, and I should have challenged it, but didn't. With hindsight, I probably should have taken it back to infocus, where I bought it.

Sean
It's clearly a warranty job and not chargeable. In Focus or Nikon is irrelevant - the warranty is clear.

Nikon ED50 Tripod Mount

Hi Dave.
I have had two ED 50's and have had problems with the mount on both of them. The first one failed to tighten up properly on my monopod after only a short period and when removed the metal thread insert started to unwind. This was replaced for a new one by the retailer. The metal insert in the replacement completely unwound itself when being removed after only a couple of months light use. To me this is a bad design fault and unfortunately despite the quality of the optics I would not touch another one with a bargepole

I really like these scopes and, ironically, decided to order one this morning from WExpress hoping that this was a problem with a small number of the units sold. Afterall, the positive endorsements equal the negatives on the thread so far and many users may have read this thread and not felt the need to respond because they are happy with their scope.
However, jimbo's experience on the back of the other replies in this thread has made me doubt the wisdom of this purchase. I wish Jimbo's post had been on this forum this morning before I ordered! There is a serious problem here that Nikon should address and Nikon retailers should be aware of it. I am serously considering sending the scope straight back and WE have confirmed that this is ok. What a shame!

Dave

I've had no problem with mine and - when all is said and done - the fault will be repaired under warranty if needed. Maybe a phone call to Nikon would help allay your fears.

scampo said:
I've had no problem with mine and - when all is said and done - the fault will be repaired under warranty if needed. Maybe a phone call to Nikon would help allay your fears.

Fair point Steve but I wonder what would happen if the scope came away from the mount in the field and became damaged in a fall. Would Nikon repair that kind of damage under guarantee when, arguably, that damage could be down to the negligence of the user? How would you demonstrate that the fault was down to a design fault?

Dave

Blincodave said:
Fair point Steve but I wonder what would happen if the scope came away from the mount in the field and became damaged in a fall. Would Nikon repair that kind of damage under guarantee when, arguably, that damage could be down to the negligence of the user? How would you demonstrate that the fault was down to a design fault?

Dave
Good point Dave, I was going to buy one but I have been put off by the build quality issue. I wonder if Swarovski etc will be bringing out a similar sized scope? Gareth

Blincodave said:

Dave
There's no doubt it would be covered. Not yours, Dave, but I think some of the comments in the thread are leaving reality behind.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back