• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

Happy Christmas!

Dear All,

As I won't get to Upton now until the 28th December at the earliest just a note to say Happy Christmas and Merry New Year!

May your lists be all you want them to be and here's hoping for a splendid new years birding in 2011.:t:

Cheers

Gert

Dear All,

As I won't get to Upton now until the 28th December at the earliest just a note to say Happy Christmas and Merry New Year!

May your lists be all you want them to be and here's hoping for a splendid new years birding in 2011.:t:

Cheers

Gert

Nice one, Gert

Frohe Weihnachten!

And Merry Christmas to everyone else.

Last edited:
Happy Christmas to everyone who reads and posts on this site. Here's to another good year in 2011. (although there is still chance of a goody in the next 8 days)

Sy
is the small area on the moors still ice free.
B :)John

I got good views of a small male Sprawk that circled around me while I was on the boardwalk and then landed atop the trees to the rear of Hen's Brook (clearly visible in the last picture).

By "clearly visible" you mean that small blob in the background? 8-P

Many thanks for your tome and effort today re Bittern feeding; hope you didnt get into too much trouble with Mrs V. Just think of the pleasure you will get when you hear them booming in the spring ....

Feral Pigeon is not acceptable on anyone's year list BTW (per rules outlined on Brian's website) so I certainly haven't counted it. I hope you haven't (?)

Dont worry, I am playing fair. However it has occurred on the reserve this year; Brian's rules dont cover what individual sites have amassed?

John asked us to post this... these views are what I remember as a kid. Before my lay off

Last edited:
Yes, indeed. May I take this opportunity to wish all of you the very best for the the Festive Season and hope that you have a bountiful and ultimately rewarding 2011.

Cheers boys!

When is the crowning of Woodchat?

Thats a bit premature - still two short. Can see that Tawny being tape lured in the Edy and Dave tramping around the reserve everyday until the 31st; wouldnt it be ironic if Stuart put him onto the record breaking bird?

All of sudden those January grey geese will definately have been Pink-foots!
(only jesting Dave, know you have far more integrity than that) ;)

Here's the picture

Nice one Sy
How things have changed - no plantation at the North Moors
I am not 100% sure if it was from the 'old hide' or the SW marsh
I have attached a similar view from last week

Attachments

• A view of north  of moors pool in -10 degrees 7th Dec 10.jpg
    A view of north of moors pool in -10 degrees 7th Dec 10.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 78
Thats a bit premature - still two short. Can see that Tawny being tape lured in the Edy and Dave tramping around the reserve everyday until the 31st; wouldnt it be ironic if Stuart put him onto the record breaking bird?

All of sudden those January grey geese will definately have been Pink-foots!
(only jesting Dave, know you have far more integrity than that) ;)

Phil. I'm talking about the 2010 year list, not Stuart's record.

Phil. I'm talking about the 2010 year list, not Stuart's record.
Sorry Des - bit slow on the uptake; been a hard day in the office. Think I would have quite happily awarded the crown to Dave when he saw the @&**£$ skua; that must have been quite a sight. Shame it didnt roost overnight :-C:-C

Best wishes to everyone for the coming year. May your kestrels and your spotted woodpeckers be lesser and your egrets be great.

Peter

Ho! Ho! Ho!

Christmas came early for me today when a suberb male Brambling showed up on the flashes feeding station - it even called a few times too - fantastic!! This bird puts me on 142 for the year - equalling Stu Croft's all-time record with one week still to go. Anything could happen....

On the moors, a Water Rail showed well and one of the Bitterns (the darker, smaller bird) showed up at the north end.

Just to top it off, five Waxwings were around the sailing centre overspill car-park and the entrance to Webbs as I left. What a great start to my festive holidays!

A few of the other birds noted included female Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, Buzzard, Mistle Thrush and Siskin.

Included in the pics below is a photo of the male Brambling, provided courtesy of Phil Carter (who was sitting in the hide with me when it turned up) - cheers for that Phil, I owe you one B :)

Attachments

• BRAMBLING.jpg
    BRAMBLING.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Bittern Moors 241210.jpg
    Bittern Moors 241210.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 99
  • Education Reserve.jpg
    Education Reserve.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 77
Christmas came early for me today when a suberb male Brambling showed up on the flashes feeding station - it even called a few times too - fantastic!! This bird puts me on 142 for the year - equalling Stu Croft's all-time record with one week still to go. Anything could happen....

He shoots - he scores! Well done Dave, a just reward for many hours watching the reserve. Wonder what the last seven days will hold?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back