• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (29 Viewers)

Had another fantastic afternoon at Upton Warren yesterday. A big thanks to the UW volunteers and for giving us directions to the singing Lesser Whitethroat which we finally managed to locate (albeit briefly) - my friend no longer believes that it is a mythical bird.:-O.

Bring on a Wilsons Phalarope, so you can complete your set

Already got it (twice!). The complete list of the 14 phalarope sightings at Upton Warren is as follows:

RED-NECKED: 8th July 1972 - female on the Moors Pool
WILSON'S: 14th September 1985 - juv moulting into first winter at the Flashes
RED-NECKED: 6th-7th June 1989 - female on the Flashes
GREY: 7th November 1996 - winter plumage on the Moors
RED-NECKED: 25th May 1999 - female on the Flashes
RED-NECKED: 16th June 2007 - female on the Flashes
WILSON'S: 23rd-26th September 2007 - juv moulting into first winter at the Flashes
GREY: 8th-9th November 2007 - first winter on the Flashes
GREY: 11th-12th September 2008 - adult winter on the Flashes
RED-NECKED: 21st June 2009 - female (poss first summer bird) on the Flashes
RED-NECKED: 20th June 2010 - female on the Flashes
GREY: 15th-21st September 2010 - juv moulting into first winter at the Flashes
RED-NECKED: 28th-30th May 2011 - female on the Flashes
RED-NECKED: 30th May 2011 - female on the Flashes

Last edited:
Update on the last post is that one was seen from 6.00 am and is still there at the time of posting (per John - Upstarts1979).

Typical, thats the trouble when you have to get the car back to the wife before 7am so she can go to work & you have to look after the kids, looks like i'll have to be content with McDonalds, then The Transport Museum & Herbert Art Gallery.

Mike.

Common Rosefinch

There have been no accepted records of Common Rosefinch for Worcestershire and just one for the entire West Midlands region, a first summer male visiting feeders in an Alcester (Warwicks) garden early morning on the 29th May 2003. The similarities between the two records are notable.

The complete list of the 14 phalarope sightings at Upton Warren is as follows:

RED-NECKED: 8th July 1972 - female on the Moors Pool
WILSON'S: 14th September 1985 - juv moulting into first winter at the Flashes
RED-NECKED: 6th-7th June 1989 - female on the Flashes
GREY: 7th November 1996 - winter plumage on the Moors
RED-NECKED: 25th May 1999 - female on the Flashes
RED-NECKED: 16th June 2007 - female on the Flashes
WILSON'S: 23rd-26th September 2007 - juv moulting into first winter at the Flashes
GREY: 8th-9th November 2007 - first winter on the Flashes
GREY: 11th-12th September 2008 - adult winter on the Flashes
RED-NECKED: 21st June 2009 - female (poss first summer bird) on the Flashes
RED-NECKED: 20th June 2010 - female on the Flashes
GREY: 15th-21st September 2010 - juv moulting into first winter at the Flashes
RED-NECKED: 28th-30th May 2011 - female on the Flashes
RED-NECKED: 30th May 2011 - female on the Flashes

Brandon Marsh Phalaropes
RED-NECKED: 10th June 1959
GREY 2: 11th November 2007

not much chanch of seeing 1 species never mind all 3.

Mike.

Brandon Marsh Phalaropes
RED-NECKED: 10th June 1959
GREY 2: 11th November 2007

not much chanch of seeing 1 species never mind all 3.

Mike.

With 14 records (including 9 in the last 4 years which surpasses any other inland body of water) there is obviously something at UW that is attractive to phalaropes. With all but two of the records coming from the Flashes I can only assume it is the salinity of that habitat.

Last edited:
Well im actually chuffed about that, cause i Id'd it right, i also posted on the dragonfly fourum with it asking if it was club tailed :king:
It was next to the river in Stourport near blackstone :-O
MB

Blackstone is actually a well-known local stronghold for Club-tailed Dragonfly...has been for a few years now. They tend to favour the area by the bridge and a number of nearby fishing jetties. Its also a good area for Scarlet Tiger Moth...especially around the Comfrey as you walk along the river towards Bewdley...heres a record shot of one from there last year.

Attachments

• Scarlet Tiger Moth 2 - Ribbesford, Worcs 15.06.jpg
    Scarlet Tiger Moth 2 - Ribbesford, Worcs 15.06.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
There have been no accepted records of Common Rosefinch for Worcestershire and just one for the entire West Midlands region, a first summer male visiting feeders in an Alcester (Warwicks) garden early morning on the 29th May 2003. The similarities between the two records are notable.

There was a singing male just a few miles from the county boundary at Ashleworth Ham (Gloucs) which was discovered two years ago today and remained for another couple of days. It ventured widely around the reserve and appeared to be using several song posts so maybe the Upton bird is still in the area........

Brian

As she hums 'I remember it well' :-O Keep an eye on the feeders - that's where ours was.

Arrived at 5am had a look for the rosefinch. Then moved on to the Flashes where everything was in silhouette. The Phal appeared at 6am being chased by an Avocet, it would be nice to think it was a third one, but I don't think the lads would let me get away with that8-P
The bird was still attracting Trust members from as far afield as Bristol, St Helens and Leicestershire. Nice to announce that all were very pleasant people ..laid back and relaxed not in a rush, well 4 day's is a long time for a Phal to remain so fair play to these cool dudes :cool:
Apart from one.. our very own Gavo cutting short his Hols in Dorset:smoke: and not risking it staying for a 5th Day.
On the lagoons were : - Avocet 28 (10 ads), Lrp 9 + 2 chicks, Lapwing 6 ads + 1 chick, 2 Oystercatcher, Dunlin. 3 Shelduck dropped in mid am, Water rail was calling from oaktree reed bed
B :)John
Also just to mention that yesterday's rain had increased the water level from 0.34/5 on Sunday to 0.39 Today. This has freshened up the delta and other shallow muddy areas including the 2 new circular pools next to the grassy knoll.

Last edited:
Did anyone get any photos of the phal today? One very well respected birder who had seen the two together yesterday informed me "if you told me it was a different bird I wouldnt have disagreed". May be wishful thinking that we could attract a third bird but given it wasnt seen first thing today .....

Did anyone get any photos of the phal today? One very well respected birder who had seen the two together yesterday informed me "if you told me it was a different bird I wouldnt have disagreed". May be wishful thinking that we could attract a third bird but given it wasnt seen first thing today .....
Joking apart Phil I have just looked at the Photos and I think today's bird had more white on the face sweeping up to the rear ear coverts which I did mention to you. The birds plumage, extent of red and other anomalies can vary when the birds stretched its neck. Not seeing yesterday's bird all I can say it was not the first bird. :t:

Unfortunately I only saw the two birds yesterday in the morning compared to this afternoon today so the light was very different. However having reviewed the photos posted here and for the reasons John has just outlined, I consider there is more than a fighting chance that this could potentially be a third bird.

At the Moors Pool today:

1 Grey Heron, 5 Cormorant, 6 Common Tern, 1 Herring Gull, 8 LBB Gull, 1 Lapwing, 2 Gadwall, 3 ad + 2 young Oyks, 1 Little Grebe, 9 ad + 3 young GC Grebe (1 chick lost), many family parties of tits (esp between Lifestyles and the causeway), Garden Warbler at the rear of thew West Hide, Whitethroat by the concrete hide, Lesser Whitethroat by the horse chestnut tree. Several plays of Rosefinch song produced no reply.

PS There were 10 LRP at the Flashes late afternoon.

Joking apart Phil I have just looked at the Photos and I think today's bird had more white on the face sweeping up to the rear ear coverts which I did mention to you. The birds plumage, extent of red and other anomalies can vary when the birds stretched its neck. Not seeing yesterday's bird all I can say it was not the first bird. :t:

One thing I noticed yesterday re the differences between the two birds was the apparent extent of white on the flanks - as seen in the photos below:

The newer bird appeared to show more extensive white on flanks - how did today's bird compare in this respect?

Attachments

• RNP's Flashes 300511.jpg
    RNP's Flashes 300511.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Rednecks Flshs 300511.jpg
    Rednecks Flshs 300511.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back