• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly help please (1 Viewer)

Sue Wright

Could anyone possibly help a friend on the beeb board who'd like to know, if possible, which Dragonflies she has photographed. I've tried to help and thought it might be a female BB Chaser or possibly a Scarlet Darter, but wanted a more expert eye if possible please as it's not easy with the photos. All or any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks all.

Sue

Attachments

• Dragon queries 1.jpg
    Dragon queries 1.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Dragon queries 2.jpg
    Dragon queries 2.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 134
Excellent shots of the dragonflies emerging from their larval skin-cases (exuvia).
I agree they are bbc s - appropriate for the Beeb board.
Ken

Hi Alex and thank you so very much indeed. I'm delighted and I know full well Pam will be as she also photographed the male as well!

Many thanks indeed.

Thanks so much for your thoughts also Ken, bbc's certainly appropriate! What a beautiful stage to have that photographic memory of as well as the inbuilt (??) one of course, I wish I'd been there with my camera too!!!

Thanks so much to you both. Best wishes, Sue.

Nice one, Alex. I've never managed to photo an emerging dragonfly. This bbc was newly emerged.
Ken

Attachments

• teneral_bbc (2).jpg
    teneral_bbc (2).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 96
AlexWinser said:
Here's one I took of a 4 Spot emerging this weekend.

Alex

That's really beautiful, Alex. And thanks to you all for helping an escaped birder who doesn't know one dragonfly from another. :t:

AlexWinser said:
Here's one I took of a 4 Spot emerging this weekend.

Alex

Beautiful Alex! Such a pleasure to see, thanks so much for putting it on.

Yours too Ken, a real beauty. So does this now make it my turn??? I sincerely hope so, but will be patient.....puh! If you believe that! Thanks again Ken and Alex, much appreciated.

Sue

Paminfra said:
That's really beautiful, Alex. And thanks to you all for helping an escaped birder who doesn't know one dragonfly from another. :t:

So good to see you here Pam and.....on yes you do, or at least had an idea, that's where the bug often starts. There's a good "WildGuides" book on them (if you're interested) called "Britain's Dragonflies" by Dave Smallshire & Andy Swash. Well worth a thumb through next time you're at a book shop.

Sue

Sue Wright said:
So good to see you here Pam and.....on yes you do, or at least had an idea, that's where the bug often starts. There's a good "WildGuides" book on them (if you're interested) called "Britain's Dragonflies" by Dave Smallshire & Andy Swash. Well worth a thumb through next time you're at a book shop.

Sue

I'll have a look for the book Sue as I do get lots of dragon and damsel flies at the pond so thanks for recommending it. (I still think mushrooms are easier though!!!!)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back