• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (17 Viewers)

Anybody know if the Common Crane is still at Nosterfield? Heading up that way on Sunday with the family and thought of dropping in. If so, where is the best place to view it from?
Seemed to disappear a few days ago maybe disturbed by shooting part in the area.Last seen flying high and South.

Just seen c60-70 Barnacle Geese heading W over the A64 between hull and selby roundabouts. Feral or Wild? Thoughts?

Mark.

When this has been raised before it's thought that they originate from the Flamingoland flock which winter either around Whitton Sands on the Humber or around Hornsea Mere

Just seen c60-70 Barnacle Geese heading W over the A64 between hull and selby roundabouts. Feral or Wild? Thoughts?

Mark.

Sounds like the Uni flock, around 75 birds and often go wandering over the A64. If you get a close look at them there is a hybrid Barnacle X Snow Goose and most of them have small plastic rings on them.

I remember a little while back a posting referring to some new paths at Fairburn Ings,my memory has failed me as to what was said and I have failed to find the gen by going through back threads.Can somebody update me on the location of the new paths as we are going next Thursday with a group and would like to have a good look round,any other up to date info would be welcome,Thanks.

I remember a little while back a posting referring to some new paths at Fairburn Ings,my memory has failed me as to what was said and I have failed to find the gen by going through back threads.Can somebody update me on the location of the new paths as we are going next Thursday with a group and would like to have a good look round,any other up to date info would be welcome,Thanks.

From the visitors centre you can head up the path that takes you to the riverside trail. Ignore the left turn to that trail and carry on until there is the right hand turn which follows the river westward. This will take you to Lin Dyke and Hickson's flash.

Good views of a Jack Snipe from the Bittern hide at Old Moor this lunch time. Also nice to meet with a BFer there....Bushy Cliff....:t:

Joe

From the visitors centre you can head up the path that takes you to the riverside trail. Ignore the left turn to that trail and carry on until there is the right hand turn which follows the river westward. This will take you to Lin Dyke and Hickson's flash.
Thanks Chris that is the info I was after.

Looks like the new pool at Thornwick has done the business again, 3rd Buff breasted sandpiper this month, spotted redshank earlier, how long before a mega?

Good views of a Jack Snipe from the Bittern hide at Old Moor this lunch time. Also nice to meet with a BFer there....Bushy Cliff....:t:

Joe

We may have been in the hide at the same time then !! I was in there about 10 minutes after it came through on the walkie talkie !!

Adult Fin Whale stranded on Humber today -23.9 - attempting rescue from Skeffling - should be on Look North tonight

Whilst talking to the guys looking to refloat this animal one of them told me he has been going of Whitby for the last 4 weeks and is seeing Minke between 2 and 9 mile off and has 8 identified animals and believes there have been upto 20, they have now moving south to off Scarborough.

Looks like the new pool at Thornwick has done the business again, 3rd Buff breasted sandpiper this month, spotted redshank earlier, how long before a mega?

It's the same juv as last Sunday, so 'only' the 2nd of the month at Flamboro:eek!:

The location is nearly 1 km from Thornwick (so not on the pool there) - it frequents a grassy field but seems to be absent early mornings. Presumably it feeds elsewhere early on and moves to this area when it has been disturbed by dog walkers?

Buff-breasted Sand

Was showing well just after dinner, lifer for me too

Buff-breastedSandpiper002edited.jpg

Buff Breasted Sandpiper

Showed well until it flew NW as the rain came down. Appeared to land about 500m away.
More shots on the blog for anyone interested.

Attachments

• untitled-4.JPG
    untitled-4.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 95
  • untitled-8.JPG
    untitled-8.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 82
[I]Whilst talking to the guys looking to refloat this animal one of them told me he has been going of Whitby for the last 4 weeks and is seeing Minke between 2 and 9 mile off and has 8 identified animals and believes there have been upto 20, they have now moving south to off Scarborough. [/I]

Wouldn't be surprised by those figures Andrew.

I did two cruises this year, first one out of Whitby the back end of August, which was the first outing after a few days of rough seas. That one draw a blank, after failing to relocate the herring shoal (they'd been getting up to 10 whales prior to the rough weather) - some consolation was a few sooty shearwaters heading north.

Tried again the start of September, nice light and a flat sea. Dead easy this time around - always going to be subjective as to numbers, but I'd be surprised if I hadn't seen double figures, bearing in mind the time between sightings, direction the whales were travelling, plus taking into account the distances involved - the number of actual sightings of whales was huge (150+). At times 5 or 6 individuals were seen in very quick succession.

A few shots on here - http://www.eastaytonbirding.com/p324123276. No idea if the link works.

If the whales have moved on from Whitby, then may be too late for this year, but anyone considering a cruise needs to ring this number 079414 50381 to book. Always worth asking what the sightings have been on the last couple of days to increase your chances of connecting. The boat only takes 12 passengers, so lots of room to walk around, and no bun fight if something interesting appears.

Dave

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back