• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

January 2015 Moths (1 Viewer)

0°C and snow on the ground in Bromborough this morning, but this ridiculously hardy Mottled Umber has found its way to (the outside of) my living room window!

Attachments

• frostythemottledumber.jpg
    frostythemottledumber.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 65
At the moment, Sunday night looks reasonable for a little trip out. Min of 7 overnight and cloudy (in Kent). Will probably take the kids along and try some woods nearby.

Tried last Sunday night and caught nowt - I was eyeing up this Sunday as well, looks OK as Andy says.

Just re-read thread. My references to Scarce Umber were Mottled Umber!!

An Angle Shades looking very fresh and bemused by the trap today. So year-list a mighty 6:-

December Moth - 01.01.15
Light Brown Apple Moth - 02.01.15
Winter Moth - 03.01.15
Mottled Umber - 06.01.15
Case-bearing Clothes Moth - 10.01.15
Angle Shades - 24.01.15

All the best

Whilst I am happy to venture into my garden whatever the weather, is there any point in putting the trap out when the temperature is going to be sub-zero all night, or does all moth activity stop when it's below freezing?

Mark, my golden rule is that it's not really worth bothering if temperature under 6 deg C. That said I've caught Hebrew Character in March when it's 3 deg C. As has already been said (by Paul I think) some species seem to be incredibly hardy though. I guess the real golden rule is that if you don't run the trap you will certainly get nowt!

Mark, my golden rule is that it's not really worth bothering if temperature under 6 deg C. That said I've caught Hebrew Character in March when it's 3 deg C. As has already been said (by Paul I think) some species seem to be incredibly hardy though. I guess the real golden rule is that if you don't run the trap you will certainly get nowt!

Well, as there are a few winter specialties that I've not seen yet (being relatively new at this) I'm happy to try; my main problem is lack of time in the mornings to check the trap, and no chance to check around the general area as it's still dark when I leave for work. Hopefully tomorrow night will be worth a shot.

Well, as there are a few winter specialties that I've not seen yet (being relatively new at this) I'm happy to try; my main problem is lack of time in the mornings to check the trap, and no chance to check around the general area as it's still dark when I leave for work. Hopefully tomorrow night will be worth a shot.

What I'm going to do, hopefully in the next couple of days on, is to run the trap from c.5pm until 10 or 11pm or so - checking it last thing at night before turning it off and going to bed! (catching the dusk flight an not worrying about the lesser dawn one) ... we'll see how it goes.

(Doing this also to save the battery completely draining overnight)

I have just got back from a really quick session in the local wood (East Hoath Wood, Gillingham in Kent) with the kids and managed just the one moth, but it was a cracking-looking Satellite, so I'm happy.

That puts me on 8 for the year.

Andy M

A couple of additions:-

Chestnut - 25.01.15
Dark Chestnut - 29.01.15

With the weather set cold, it seems January will end on 8.

All the best

Ran the trap c.5 - 10.30pm 3 consecutive nights earlier in the week as planned.

Night 1 - 2 Light Brown Apple Moth mf
Night 2 - 0
Night 3 - 0

A couple of brown house moth type things inside too. Gripping stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back