• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macro Moth Literature (1 Viewer)

Samuel Perfect

I'm currently in the process of writing my dissertation on "The importance of urban greenspace for macro moths". So far, I've collected data by trapping at multiple sites around the Falmouth area in order to determine the distribution of moth diversities. This I then compared to the availability of "greenspace" by querying aerial imagery (using an unsupervised classification in ERDAS Imagine).

I'm keen to try and find literature on the subject (particularly concerning the availability of natural/semi-natural habitat) and the implications this has for the diversity of moths or the presence of individual species. Although I've found some good papers already I haven't come across a great deal regarding the overlap between macro moth diversity and habitat availability.

If anyone is able to give me some pointers for some relevant literature or the like I would be very grateful. :t:

If I was you, I would contact Richard Fox at Butterfly Conservation. He has done some work on habitat fragmentation and urbanisation I believe as part of The State of Britain's Larger Moths. Those reports may also have a bibliography?

(A friend is doing a post-grad in brownfield entemology so I suspect he'll publish something in due course....)

Larval searching to find breeders rather than wanderers would be very compelling of course.

All the best

Would access to the data from the Garden moth Scheme also be useful if you were able to plot the exact locations across other cities?

Thanks Paul, would you happen to have contact details for Richard Fox? I found Leon Truscott on the Cornwall County Moth Recorders list and got in contact with him.

I found a couple relevant papers on habitat fragmentation and meta-population studies as they are popular topics but if you happen to know any additional literature that might be useful that'd be great!

Many thanks,

Would access to the data from the Garden moth Scheme also be useful if you were able to plot the exact locations across other cities?

For the purposes of this study I'm restricted to studying the Falmouth area as this is where my aerial images are focused on. I'm mainly trying to unearth some literature on the subject and other works on similar studies. If you happen to know of any similar published studies that'd be great to know!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back