• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moths 23-24.4.2003 (1 Viewer)

simondix

After a couple of blank nights I got.

Lead-coloured Drab 1
Common Quaker 2
Powdered Quaker 1
Hebrew Character 6

Still pretty poor.

Hi simondix,

May I ask, do you have your own "trap" (if that's the correct word), or are you mothing as part of a club?

Maybe you've said all this before, but if so, then I've missed it (sorry!).

I've been on a "Moth Spotting" night a couple of years ago (at Blacktoft Sands - a combined Bat and Moth Evening) and obviously they had all the proper gear with the light and what have you.

I've quite often fancied having a go myself.

What kind of set up do you have? Would I get any results with a loft torch, say, and a white sheet?

Any dos, don'ts, and watchouts you could tell me about?

Cheers...

I am interested in this too. On holiday in kenya I saw a butterfly trap which was a net sock hung up with the hole at the bottom stretched out. Below the hole a plate hanged with a cup of some sort of wine. The butterflies were attracted to the wine and those that went up got trapped with no harm to be exported. This was not what I wanted to hear but it contributes to conservation of the forest. It also offered a great chance to watch these butterflies.

I have seen light traps for moths at Aylesbeare and often wondered about DIY traps for my garden to see some moths.

I use a purpose built Mercury Vapour tap. It has a 250W MV bulb.

The Moths hit the light and fall into a box where they stay unharmed till I let them go.

You can see moths with just a light and a sheet.

However with MV 250 w bulbs you get more moths in types and numbers.

If you live in a urban or suburban area you need tolerant neighbours as it lights the place up like day. There are what they call Black bulbs which emit no visible light. They are more expensive and did not seem to last very long. You also get less of a catch.

Use a normal light bulb at first and see if you like it.

My set up works on a time switch. All I have to do is empty it in the morning. Mothing the lazy way.

ID can be a problem. I use the Colour identification of British Moths by Bernard Skinner.

This book only covers what are known as Macro-Moths. Micro-Moths are a different ballgame and very technical I tend to avoid them.

There should be a few people mothing on this forum, who are no doubt more qualified to talk about it than I am. There is however a paucity of people submitting records. I must admit I have lapsed over the last few years.

There is a software package Bird Recorder 32 where you can record all your British Moths, British and European Butterflies, British Dragonflies, World Birds and Mammals on the same package. Very useful.

I hope you find this useful and I do not receive commission for the above adverts.

Thanks for explaining what you do. I might give it a go with a torch and a sheet to to see what comes onto the sheet in the orchard. Don't think the 'daylighting' methods would be welcomed round here!

Ditto... but back garden for me, and then maybe the woods out back.

Cheers Simon!

Last night it was

Lead-colured Drab 1 (same one as night before mark on wing)
Clouded Drab 1
Common Quaker 2
Hebrew Character 3

Here's a nice one that was caught at light here on the IOM. Even though they're fairly common, I'm always awed by their wingshape.
Pebble Hooktip btw.
Quite a few more pictures on our website:
Isle Of Man Birding

Attachments

• pebble hooktip.jpg
    pebble hooktip.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 215
Moths are a whole new field of goodies and I reckon they are just as fascinating as Butterflies if not then more so!

Moths for last night the 25th April

Unidentified Pug 1
Brindled Beauty 1
Muslin Moth 1 male
Common Quaker 2
Clouded Drab 1
Hebrew Character 3

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back