• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

October Moths (1 Viewer)

smokenack

Around 10 species a night so far in October with L-album Wainscot, Feathered Ranunculus and Lunar Underwing being the predominant species, but only a few of each.

Easterly winds forecast for the weekend so fingers crossed there might be something different blown my way!

Tonight outside the trap....my 1st Merveille du Jour of the year....outside temperature circa 10 degrees Celsius!

A few bits and bobs still but thin pickings - Merveille du Jour, Green-brindled Crescent, Black Rustic, Large Wainscot and Common Marbled Carpet pictured from this morning. Large Wainscot is a staple for me at this time of year as it plainly breeds well in the local reed-filled roadside ditches.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Merveille du Jour 17.10.15.JPG
    Merveille du Jour 17.10.15.JPG
    737.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Green-brindled Crescent 17.10.15.JPG
    Green-brindled Crescent 17.10.15.JPG
    721.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Black Rustic 17.10.15.JPG
    Black Rustic 17.10.15.JPG
    733.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Large Wainscot 17.10.15.JPG
    Large Wainscot 17.10.15.JPG
    723.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Common Marbled Carpet 17.10.15.JPG
    Common Marbled Carpet 17.10.15.JPG
    775.7 KB · Views: 50
Nothing last night. It's been miserable here for the last week or so, cold east winds and rain. After an enjoyable summer's mothing the autumn has been poor. Large Wainscot is regular for me as well normally but not this year, nor have I had any of the Sallow species. I'll persevere until I go away in November and then retire the trap until March.

First trapping session for quite a while on Sat night, and decided to try the MV as the neighbours were away!

8 moths of 6 species, with Blair's Shoulder-knot new for year.

Just two moths last night, one of them a female Gem Nycterosea obstipata.

I've got about a week left before the trap goes away for the winter. November through to March it's a complete waste of time to put the trap out in my garden.

A thoroughly enjoyable year, 5980 moths of 273 species and the garden total is up to 367 which considering my urban location never ceases to astonish me.

I have a holiday in Mozambique coming up in November, a plant hunting trip but I've got my fingers crossed for plenty of moths.

Different season I know but the trapping here has been as dead as it is with you back in UK. On one night I caught just one moth in six hours (temperature 20oC, overcast and humid) suspect all to do with complete lack of rain

I've had just ones and twos this week mostly Red Green Carpets...but last night 2 RGC's were joined by 2 "Bricks" a lifer for me!

With unseasonal weather, a very unseasonal Bordered Beauty last night. Pleasing to see Feathered Thorns and Cypress Carpets both at home and on some pub lights midweek. Otherwise recently three Large Yellow Underwings, good numbers of Epirittas, a Beaded Chestnut, Large Wainscots, a Setaceous Hebrew Character, Chestnuts, Dark Chestnuts, Green-brindled Crescent, Eudonia angusteas, Tachystola acroxantha and Light Brown Apple Moth.

All the best

Just two moths last night, one of them a female Gem Nycterosea obstipata.

I found another female Gem at work the same day. Never seen one before and then two on the same day at two different locations ( only a mile apart though). Small influx locally it would seem.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back