• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterflies of Croatia 4. (1 Viewer)

string boozel

Nearly there now, Mallow, Mediterranean and Pygmy Skippers and also two pictures of Rock Grayling. I don't know if the latter species behaviour was a male and female or two males. One of them leant forward in a bowing motion while the other responded by opening its wings. Initially there were three taking part but one disappeared fairly quickly in the process. Apologies for taking up so much space but at least it's over now.

James.

Attachments

• 367.JPG
    367.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 283.JPG
    283.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 074.JPG
    074.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 087.JPG
    087.JPG
    213.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 085.JPG
    085.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 72
Again I think you right with #1, #2 & #3 but I think #4/5 would need a detailed examination of the genitalia to confirm!

Shane

Yeah I thought that they were Woodland Graylings when I saw them as they were big, Purple Emperor sized butterflies and most of the others appeared to be of a more White Admiral stature. Having never seen either species before and without a book I didn't realise just how similar they were. The habitat appeared suitable for both though the butterfly guide I used when I got home said that they both stop flying in August! Mind you my guide is pretty old (it may even have a UK breeding range for Black-veined White in it) so may be due for replacement. At least similar looking birds have the decency to call. Thanks a lot for all your help.

James.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back