• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Netted Mountain Moth (1 Viewer)

Just a question but could this be a bit of a rare one to be publicising exact locations for? I don't know anything about specific threat but thought I'd ask the question.

It looks as though you just have to look for Bearberry in any case. Mind you I wouldn't know a Bearberry if one bit me! ;)

brianhstone said:
Just a question but could this be a bit of a rare one to be publicising exact locations for? I don't know anything about specific threat but thought I'd ask the question.

It looks as though you just have to look for Bearberry in any case. Mind you I wouldn't know a Bearberry if one bit me! ;)

I have found that when looking for an insect species that relies upon a single foodplant, that it pays to try and obtain a recent local Flora for the area concerned. Wherever that particular plant is shown in a concentrated block of records that is the place I would look for the insect.

Of course searching a tetrad (2x2km.sq.) can be arduous, but it better than just guessing where the plant or insect is. It also pays to 'swat up' on the foodplant, e.g. how to recognise it, where does it grow, on what substrait, and is it restricted by altitude etc. All this data can narrow down the area you need to search.

It helps if the distribution of the plant is restricted or localised as looking for an insect that feeds on a common plant species is far more difficult.

Harry

Last edited:
Bearberry grows all around this area so I will have to keep an eye out. I just thought a local rarity would make an interesting challenge. I even had another look at the Comnmon Heath moths I posted here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=17338
just in case but without any luck :) At least it will give my local walks some added purpose :)

Yes I undersatnd your point Brian. No idea how much a problem collecting would be for such species.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back