• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June Moths - 2015 (1 Viewer)

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
A little better last night (which isn't difficult), with 24 moths of 15 species. Notocelia cynosbatella new for garden, Foxglove and Freyer's Pug, Willow Beauty, Vine's Rustic, Silver-ground Carpet, Pebble Hook-tip and Scoparia ambigularis new for year - year list claws its way up to 88.

Still terrible in SW London (Barnes) with just 15 moths of eleven species, but including two 'migrants' - Diamond-back and Rush Veneer.
Too windy & too cold.
Martin

2 nights trapping in June so far has brought 144 moths of 28 species. 42 of them were Epiphyas postvittana, by far my commonest moth virtually all year round.

New for the garden were Small Waved Umber and Argyresthia cupressella.

New for year have been Lime Speck Pug, Diamond-Back Moth, Rustic Shoulder Knot, Knotgrass, Yellow Shell, Monopis crocicapitella, Callisto denticulella, Bee Moth, Marbled Minor agg. and Green Pug.

Well I have dug the moth trap out now the weather is slightly better. Last night was not so good as the night before. I did have have a Privet Hawk Moth in the trap, but the night before I had two Bordered Straw, one more worn than the other.

Still getting very disappointing catches here - 20 species last night. Did get a NFM in the form of Borkhausenia minutella, assuming correct ID.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 75
Hi
From what I can see it looks OK. A rarity here but good to see it's still being reported in CI.
Martin

Still poor numbers here in East Cheshire over the last 2 nights.... I fear tonight maybe no different.

In the low catches I have had two new moths for the Garden with Muslin Moth and Shears.
Heart and Dart has now become the most abundant species of the year as it overtook Clouded Drab with another 5 in the trap last night. Still very low on Micro species. Diamond Back was only the 5th species of the year.

Still poor numbers here in East Cheshire over the last 2 nights.... I fear tonight maybe no different.

In the low catches I have had two new moths for the Garden with Muslin Moth and Shears.
Heart and Dart has now become the most abundant species of the year as it overtook Hebrew Character with another 5 in the trap last night. Still very low on Micro species. Diamond Back was only the 5th species of the year.

Six spotted Burnet today in Falmouth when I got out of the car this evening - presumably managed to pick it up somewhere out in the countryside earlier in the day unbeknownst to me ...

Cold and windy last night so I didn't expect much but had hoped for more than the two Heart and Dart nestling in the bottom of the trap. That was it. On the same date last year I recorded 32 species, it's all in the weather.

Cold and windy last night so I didn't expect much but had hoped for more than the two Heart and Dart nestling in the bottom of the trap. That was it. On the same date last year I recorded 32 species, it's all in the weather.

Same conditions here last night - cold (7 C), breezy and clear - but surprisingly not too bad at all, with 34 moths of 18 species. Heart and Dart most numerous with 10.

Best of the bunch for me was a Bordered Straw, a lifer, as was Rhyacionia pinivorana aka Spotted Shoot Moth; Scallop Shell and Dark Arches were new for year.

2 Bordered Straw and a Rush Veneer for me in the trap this week. However, the best moth - Psychoides verhuella - was seen in a mate's garden, so all my lifers this year remain day-flying moths.

Dave W

Another day-flying moth for the month, Hummingbird Hawkmoth in the garden briefly this evening (one earlier in May also).

Ran the trap up at Stithians a few nights back, but waiting for the list from the other mother (there were perhaps 30 moths of 8 species??) Pretty sure Oblique Carpet was a new one for me though.

Mild last night - no rain forecast but sharp shower about 10:30 so I put the trap under a table to keep the worst off. Managed 46 moths of 21 species inc 6 NFY, one of which (Beautiful Plume) was NFG.

Hi
Warm and humid today here in SW London. Lots of Ectoedemia heringella flying around and settling on fresh leaves of Holm Oak in my garden.
It's the perfect time to record this species as adults (as opposed to leaf mines) and I'd be interested to hear of any new localities for it.
Best wishes
Martin

Attachments

• Ectoedemia heringella garden 12.vi.2015 (2small).jpg
    Ectoedemia heringella garden 12.vi.2015 (2small).jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
At last a hint of summer with
Common Swifts
Lobster
Clouded magpie
Clouded Boarder
Privet hawkmoth
Poplar Hawkmoth
Brown Rustic
Ingraled Clay
Common Marbled Carpet
Green Carpet
Silver Ground Carpet
White Wave
Flame Shoulder

A hand full of late spring moths
Pale Oak Beauty
Great Prominent
Marbled Brown
White & Buff Ermine
And what for me is a rareity a Figuar of Eighty , my first for 12 years.

6 actinic traps used , 45 moths caught , best catch in a single trap 20 , so its still pretty poor. Last year at this time i was getting 50-100 + catches per trap.

Last edited:
Much better last night, 33+ species, still a few to ID a couple of which I'm pretty sure are new for the garden. One I think is Aethes beatricella which should be easy but I've had to use Sterling and Parsons, MBGBI and UKMoths to come to that conclusion. It was the photo on UKMoths that made up my mind for me. We are very fortunate to have such a wealth of resources. I've just had a look on lepiforum.de to confirm it |:D|

No hawk-moths yet this year |=(|

Last edited:
A much better night here in London, despite heavy rain just before dusk.

63 species so far plus a bag full of micros to work my way through, including an Aethes sp.

Some evidence of migration with plenty of Diamond-backed moths, some Silver Ys and a Small Mottled Willow (Spodoptera exigua - the second site record). Also no Hawk-moths yet.

Martin

Ran the MV Friday night 12th June, as it promised to be the warmest night of the year so far. Having had perhaps 5 moths (maximum) on the half dozen previous ''trap nights'' since Jan 1....I thought that the ''glorious twelfth'' might just get me into double digits.

Well it certainly did that...circa 50+moths, with my previous record for Light Emeralds (3) being eclipsed somewhat...25!!! plus a superb lifer in the shape of a Red-necked Footman, with a supporting cast of.. Pale Tussock, Buff Tip, Buff Ermine, Shoulder-striped Wainscott, Cypress Carpet and various Micros, H&Darts, Pugs etc. Am running the UV tonight, fingers x'd.

Attachments

• DSC05616 (2) Red-necked Footman.jpg
    DSC05616 (2) Red-necked Footman.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back