• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

Brian: there are Tawny Owls calling in the day in several locations along the coast- and have been for some time. I have the impression they haven’t done badly this last winter.

However, Spanish Inquisitors will not wrest from me their sites.

Hi John
Thanks, should have said, not heard "mine" do this before despite living here for nearly 4 years now!
Cheers
Brian

Titchwell April 26th

Today’s highlights

Wheatear – 4 on grazing meadow
Little gull – 2 on fresh marsh
Whimbrel – 8 west
White wagtail – 1 on fresh marsh
Hobby – 1 west

Paul

As we arrived at Ormesby Little Broad, around 12 today, John Harris announced he had just found a Purple Heron, result.
Here are some record shots of the beast at c300m
+ female Garganey at Strumpshaw

Attachments

• IMG_5572aa.jpg
    IMG_5572aa.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_5574aa.jpg
    IMG_5574aa.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5576aa.jpg
    IMG_5576aa.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5610a.jpg
    IMG_5610a.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 162
Big numbers of Wheatear today on east coast eg 105 Corton area, 100 plus Winterton, 80 plus Landguard, just wondered if the north Norfolk coast got them too it appears not.?

Big numbers of Wheatear today on east coast eg 105 Corton area, 100 plus Winterton, 80 plus Landguard, just wondered if the north Norfolk coast got them too?

Nothing like those numbers: single figures, where I’ve been- but quite a few were large and upstanding.

The colour-ringed Stonechat below was by the Eye Pool at Cley. Does anyone recognise him ?

Attachments

• 093pse.jpg
    093pse.jpg
    332.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 179pse.jpg
    179pse.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 131
Latest report from the Winterton tweeters is of 300 at Winterton in the north dunes. Lowestoft area score is up to over 250. Maybe it was just the extreme east coast that is scoring and maybe they are moving in during the day also. Extraordinary numbers for spring for sure, probably grounded by rain in the more southern areas of the county.

Last edited:
Latest report from the Winterton tweeters is of 300 at Winterton in the north dunes. Lowestoft area score is up to over 250. Maybe it was just the extreme east coast that is scoring and maybe they are moving in during the day also. Extraordinary numbers for spring for sure, probably grounded by rain in the more southern areas of the county.

Numbers in North Dunes around midday much more modest where c. 30 birds present. However numbers appeared to be rising on walk back to Horsey where at Nelsons Head there were just 9 wheatears but a couple of hours later over 20 on posts along track. Also cuckoo and hobby through but sadly no rock thrush.....
Mick

I'm one of the winterton tweeters and I haven't heard the 300 figure! Where did it come from James? I have had over 100 but I would not say the number was that huge...
Sean

Big numbers of Wheatear today on east coast eg 105 Corton area, 100 plus Winterton, 80 plus Landguard, just wondered if the north Norfolk coast got them too it appears not.?

There was at least 40 at West Runton this evening, but strangely not a single one seen around the Beeston area.

Simon

It was tweeted out by someone as I told you in a private tweet. c130 is still pretty impressive tho and the biggest numbers I can remember in spring.

He must have got his wires crossed somehow I apologise.

It was tweeted out by someone as I told you in a private tweet. c130 is still pretty impressive tho and the biggest numbers I can remember in spring.

He must have got his wires crossed somehow I apologise.

Definitely an impressive sight, I wonder how many will still be about tomorrow morning?

Stone/Whin- chats- and reel two reels

Noel has again contacted me, in his customary helpful fashion, to posit that my ‘chat from yesterday was “most likely to be that of Brown/Pink, the 2012 Arnold's Marsh breeding male. After a brief association with at least one female late winter in the Cley Beach car park area, reports from a number of locations along the coast suggest his search for a mate has been unsuccessful. Marcus and Nigel reported Brown/Pink on the fence between Salthouse Beach car park and 'your patch', Gramborough Hill last Thursday the 25th.”

Yet another (with ‘double Blue’) poor fellow that remains a bachelor. Any females out there, desirous of a Sexy Cola ?

Another (Whin)chat leapt out on to the fence at Gramboro’, made a sally into the large bramble patch (taunting me to try to take its portrait through a massed tangle), went back on to the fence . . then disappeared off inland.

The south side of Walsey had 3 Tawny Mining Bees sunning themselves; Bee-flies persist there. A tail-less Whitethroat gave me a momentary fright- though a Shortwing is not particularly likely in the UK.

A reeling- mostly not of my senses- gave away the presence of a Grasshopper Warbler, south of the first section of Wells Woods, as I was slowly scanning for something even better. A pause, then another. Walking towards the source obviously didn’t help, as it abruptly shut up and didn’t restart.

My FoY Green-veined White fluttered about a bit here.

Attachments

• 031pse.jpg
    031pse.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 140
  • 155pse.jpg
    155pse.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 082pse.jpg
    082pse.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 087pse.jpg
    087pse.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 126
  • 055pse.jpg
    055pse.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 79
Translate to English

All

Off topic but I would like to highlight something that was flagged earlier today on Irish Bird Network - 1000's of migratory birds are being netted and slaughtered in fishing nets in an almost 700 kilometer stretch of North African coastline. Mostly Shrikes but obviously lots of other stuff. It is desperately sad, disturbing and shocking to see. Please follow the link and sign the e-petition.

http://www.nabu.de/tiereundpflanzen/voegel/zugvoegel/jagd/aegypten/15708.html

Thanks

Graham Clarke

http://grahamsphoto.blogspot.co.uk/

Copy link- Google search Google translate-paste link in box find language = German then translate. webpage opens on page click WWW.NABU search for article on page it will now be in English. To sign petition click petition opens in German however Herr = Man and Street Address is Strabe and Haus nummer,PLZ,ort =postcode and city.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Cuckoo flying past with sun back lit photo will be nightmare :(

_38A9967.jpg

Another Great Day on the Patch!
(Having been affected by 'computer problems' I haven't been inclined to update recently, so will add a few highlights from the previous week, too!)

A quiet start soon changed when four birds flew from the edge of one of the pits. One was a Meadow Pipit, another Wheatear, then Yellow Wagtail and the final bird: Whinchat! (This was my second of the week and only my 3rd ever in the Wensum Valley!). Altogther, 4 Wheatear and 2 Yellow Wagtail were present, to add to similar numbers seen at a different site yesterday - not bad for an inland site! 2 Commn Sandpiper were new in today, with both Green Sandpiper and Greenshank (now into its 3rd week) still present. Other summer breeders have continued to arrive, although it is probably those that have not been recorded that are more 'interesting': no Sedge Warbler (nor Reed or Grasshopper), no Terns, nor Cuckoo, Swift, Hobby etc!

An afternoon around Swaffham yesterday produced Woodchat, Osprey, Stone Curlew, Tree Pipit, Woodlark and Willow Tit - what a difference a 'few' miles makes!

To the Hills

Yet another surprisingly unpleasant day; the wind just too biting. A half dozen or so Wheatears were in the field S of Gramboro’- but nothing else.

Friary Hills produced the White Wagtail below, from near to the kissing gate. This is also an unpleasant place to be, as the season progresses: with three groups of dog-people, despite the prohibition notices in all the strategic places. “No, we didn’t see them!” is the characteristic response. How safe are these people, therefore, when they’re behind the wheel of a car ?

Returning from the territory of Wiveton Hall, where there are more Alexanders than I’ve yet seen this year (and a fine Tawny Mining Bee- these are flighty and not at all easy to get close to), a male Ring Ouzel flew overhead and on to the freshmarsh, where it immediately disappeared.

Attachments

• 143pse.jpg
    143pse.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 014pse.jpg
    014pse.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 130
A Whinchat was in almost the same place as Saturday at Gramboro’.

Nothing else, until on the way back, the unringed male Stonechat below jumped out at me. It’s a very bright and flashy one, with hooge white wing patches and a massive white collar. Neither of these can be well seen from my poor photo.

Attachments

• 001pse.jpg
    001pse.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 041pse.jpg
    041pse.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 158
Titchwell April 30th

Today’s highlights

Long tailed duck – drake offshore
Med gull – 2 on fresh marsh
White wagtail – 1 on fresh marsh