• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about luna moth (1 Viewer)

countrybum

I don't get to see these very often in the daytime, usually just at night when they are attracted to the lights in the house. I never noticed the purple on the edge of the wing before and all the pictures I googled showed the edging more as brown. Is the purple edging unusual?

Thanks in advance (and I am glad to find others that find moths to be so interesting, I'm always checking my deck for cool moths)

Attachments

• luna_moth.jpg
    luna_moth.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 95
What a beautiful photo!
Looks like a Luna Moth to me, seen only at night myself, I would imagine they look different in the daylight...

I`m 55 and have lived in the South all my life and have cought 100s of luna`s and have never seen one like that, or a photo of one like that. Hope you got some really sharp photos.

Unfortunately it was a windy, dark day so it was tough to get a really clear picture. And I just got a macro lens but this was just the second time I had used it.

I did find a website showing another one with the purple edging but the eye spots are different. I was surprised at the variations that I did find when I googled luna moth.

Here is a closer picture of one of the eye spots. Looks like lips!

Attachments

• whatami.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 1,479
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back