• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Devonian Goes Oop North! (Day Two) (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
22-02-04
Location : Penmon Point, Newborough Warren, Malltraeth, Penros Park & South Stack. Anglesey. SH641813, SH432644, SH408687, SH276805 & SH203823.

Anglesey was the destination for our second day's birding and we aimed for Penmon Point first to find me some Black Guillemots. We pulled into a lay by to look out into the Menai Strait and soon clocked a Black Guillemot flying in and landing out of view in the choppy water. That was an excellent start as the first bird of the day was a lifer for me! We wanted better views so we carried on to Penmon Point. It was extremely windy and absolutely arctic right in our faces. We braved it and had excellent views of large rafts of Common Guillemots and Razorbills. The water was quite choppy and it took a long time to find a good sighting of a Black Guillemot that I was happy with, there were at least four seen all in. On the small offshore island we ticked Black-legged Kittiwake which was a year tick along with Purple Sandpiper, Ruddy Turnstone, European Shag and Red-breasted Merganser. James and Jeannine had seen a Red-throated Diver fly past while I was searching for Black Guillemot. We were keen to get away from here as it was getting too cold so after embracing a welcome cup of coffee laced with a tot of brandy it was off to Newborough Warren on the south east corner for the Little Bunting. We pulled into the car park facing the fields and some birders advised us to turn round and we saw the Little Bunting feeding away on seed with other finches in the slate chippings around the picnic tables! A good study was made then we made a departure for the nearby forest to look for Crossbills. We had a nice walk but sadly no Crossbills so it was time to move onto Penros Park with a brief stop at Malltraeth to add Little Grebe and Northern Pintail. Penros Park was expected to provide Pale-bellied Brent Goose but instead only gave Ringed Plover. After lunch here we drove onto nearby South Stack which was a beautiful spot very much like a Cornish headland with birds to match including four Red-billed Choughs, Raven, Stonechat and Meadow Pipit. The Choughs were my first this year. There was a bit of a drive back so we left early with a stop at RSPB Conwy in the middle of the afternoon for some hot chocolate with a side helping of Water Rail and Reed Bunting in front of the shop! Back home we had a nice Indian meal and discussed the birds we had so far in two days. My total so far was seventy nine of which four were lifers.

Oops, you're ahead of me. You seem to have posted them all at once!

Another good report, although the brandy's becoming a bit of a habit! ;)

Andrew, I really hope you managed to take some pictures of them, You would be miffed if all those lifers were not got on camera! Jolly draughty places thoughare the headlands at this time of year.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back