• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Devonian Goes Oop North! (Day Four) (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
24-02-04
Location : Trough of Bowland & Stocks Reservoir. Lancashire. SD610505 & SD727572.

Like a good Sunday' roast dinner, the best had been kept for last. We spent our last day in the Trough of Bowland to search for Red Grouse and have a good walk in a wild location as opposed to a managed bird 'theme park'. The good run of sunshine had ended with heavy rain on the journey. It cleared up as we approached the middle of Great Britain, Dunsop Bridge. Just past the village we were close to a Merlin on the wires by the road. James pulled into a lay by for Dipper. I had not even got my bins out the bag and James found a White-throated Dipper in the river below us. Local expertise was showing well here. The Dipper was a year tick for us. A short while later, we were at the start of the trail into the Trough of Bowland at Langdale. We checked the river around the water plant and failed to see any Grey Wagtails. I was impressed with the sight of the huge hills that seemed powerful and moody in the low lying cloud and thin mist pockets. The cold air contributed to the awe of the landscape, here was a scene that has never been harnessed by man and never will be forever. About half a mile into our walk there were two female Red Grouse on the path that took flight with bowed wing tips over to the other side of the valley. James and I shook hands with glee as this was the main lifer he had promised to find me this trip. It was only a few more strides later that we caught sight of a red browed male leaving the heather close to the path and flying higher up the valley. They were a lot darker than I expected them to be. There were also a couple of Common Ravens and a male Kestrel patrolling the valley. We carried on until we reached a disused stone barn for a warming cup of coffee with a dramatic backdrop to admire. Every time we thought we saw a new raptor it turned out to be the Ravens or the Kestrel. On the return walk, James stopped to listen to a Grouse close to us and a female took flight to the other side and settled down on a small patch of open ground giving excellent views. It got better as her male companion glided down to the river for a drink and we had cracking views through our bins for as long as we wanted. A touch of brandy in our coffee with a Kit Kat back at the car warmed us up before we headed over to Dunsop Valley to watch for raptors while we lunched. All we managed to add was European Goldfinch. Two hours later we were in the car park of Stocks Reservoir where we hoped to see the Great Grey Shrike. A birder was sheltering from the miserable rain in the hide said he had a quick look up the path and not seen anything. We walked the path slowly up to the derelict barn and back keenly scanning the pine trees. I raised an alarm at one stage and it turned out to be a clump that looked like a Shrike! Half way back we stopped and watched with no luck but glimpsed the redhead Smew. The birder passed us on a second search. Near the car park we had Green Woodpecker followed by two Great Spotted Woodpeckers. The Green Woodpecker was bird number one hundred for me on the four day trip and on that note was shook hands and exchanged knowing nods with broad grins! We thought the rain had reduced the chances of seeing the Shrike. Back home in the evening a review of our notes discovered I had forgotten to log Chaffinch so my list was actually one hundred and one which is preferable as round numbers look suspect. James had finished two more birds ahead with the Red-throated Diver and a well spotted Bewick’s Swan at Martin Mere. We groaned heavily when we discovered the Shrike had been seen fifteen minutes after we left. It had been a fantastic four days’ birding with two good like minded birders and friends and I shall remember it for a long time to come.

We fitted in so many places and enjoyed them all that time simply flew past!

I forgot to mention James putting the childlock on when we drove through Liverpool away from Seaforth Docks! 3:)

Andrew,
Wondered where you had got to as you seemed to be missing from BF for a few days. What a great series of reports. Lots of good birds including some scarce ones. I have not been out of the county this year yet but have been doing lots of survey work in the Severn Estuary. However, a few days ago, I was in the Forest of Dean on a birding trip when I spotted a property for sale. I have been looking for somewhere smaller to buy for some time now but had no reason to rush to find a property. Now, however, the ball in rolling and I will be quite busy in the next couple of months not only in moving but getting rid of lots of stuff as the new property is much smaller. So, not so much birding for me. See what happens when you go out birding!!! So, go steady with these exotic trips ooop north or anywhere else or you may succumb to expensive purchases like me. ;) ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back