• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cabelas Outfitter 10x42 HD - What are they REALLY? (1 Viewer)

Internally, they are probably the same as 25 or 30 other binos of similar aperture and magnification.

Bill

"But these are a different color, and have a different name on them, and the armor is thicker, so how can they be the same?"

Gee whiz, Bill.

PS I enjoyed your book. Thank you for writing it.

"But these are a different color, and have a different name on them, and the armor is thicker, so how can they be the same?"

Gee whiz, Bill.

PS I enjoyed your book. Thank you for writing it.

1 : Practice.
2 : Many thanks.
3 : We weren't being at all being rude or flippant, merely observant. Virtually any aperture and magnification has, at any time, dozens of cousins differing only in cosmetics, AR coatings, and price. The truth is not always pleasant or popular. But, latching onto it can help one up to the next rung on the ladder of optical realities.:cat:

Bill

Last edited:
1 : Practice.
2 : Many thanks.
3 : We weren't being at all being rude or flippant, merely observant. Virtually any aperture and magnification has, at any time, dozens of cousins differing only in cosmetics, AR coatings, and price. The truth is not always pleasant or popular. But, latching onto it can help one up to the next rung on the ladder of optical realities.:cat:

Bill

Actually, those were two of the most rude and flippant responses I've ever received in my years on this forum, but go ahead and believe the narrative in your head if you want.

I'm not after a pleasant or popular truth, and that suggestion speaks to the motivation of your replies.

If you don't wish to hazard a guess or simply don't know, just admit it and move on. Or don't bother replying at all. It's not a difficult concept.

Coin hound, the eye cups twist up and down.

Hmm. Almost a dead ringer for the Eagle Optics Platinums, but those are polycarb body and I'm pretty sure these Cabelas Outfitters are magnesium. Also these are made in Japan while the Rangers are made in China...

The search continues.

Actually, those were two of the most rude and flippant responses I've ever received in my years on this forum, but go ahead and believe the narrative in your head if you want.

What, exactly, was rude about Bill's answer?

You asked a question, and he answered it, based on his personal experience.

Sounded like a pretty smug way of saying "I have no idea." I think by now we all know that many companies contract with a few suppliers and repackage the same internals, yada, yada, yada.

Good grief.

Last edited:
Sounded like a pretty smug way of saying "I have no idea."

You have made a bold and INACCURATE statement. So, let’s look a little deeper. In my time as a Texan, as you are, most of my associates and acquaintances wanted to cut to the chase and get to the “brass tacks.”

You said:

“Now I'm trying to figure out what they really are. Anyone want to hazard a guess?”

Frankly, I don’t know who would care or who COULD narrow it down to an answer you might like. With no harm intended, that was like a person dipping a bucket of water from the middle of the ocean and asking others—2,000 miles away—about the exact location from which it was dipped. If realities make me "smug"—guilty. Of my 3 responses, only the third addressed your question, and it was addressed accurately.

“Anyone want to hazard a guess?”

Please give us an example of the kind of answer you might want.

Suppose someone had said it was a Bushnell so and so. Would that have been good enough for you, if you knew Bushnell, TASCO, and Jason come out of the same warehouse in Kansas and had origins in Asia?

You were answered accurately and honestly. From my standpoint, honest is not the BEST policy ... popular or not it’s the ONLY policy. :cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Attachments

• Bino Book Screen Shot copy 2.jpg
    Bino Book Screen Shot copy 2.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Bill, you made a generalized statement that basically anyone could have made. Is that supposed to prompt some sort of grateful thank you?

Mal, plenty of times we have all seen the optic community "figure out" what a rebranded bin really is, or also is. That's all I was looking for. Nothing more.

Knowing that would seem to me to preclude asking the question, since "indeterminate" would seem to be the best answer possible.

My response was based on the questioner probably not knowing that. In addition, I've found that answers like "indeterminate" leave the door wide open for a flurry of other questions equally impossible to answer. But then, no good deed goes unpunished. :cat:

Bill

Justa ..... It does look a little like the second model from the left in this picture.

0-Light Optics.jpg

It is from Light Optics Works, Japan. I believe they are an oem for multiple relabelers.

Here is the page the where you can see the photo. Scroll partway down.

What do you think?

http://www.light-op.co.jp/english/?page_id=25

Alpen Apex also has the screw on objectives look but the hinge is not quite the same. I believe the Apex is a China import but I am not sure.

Please give us an example of the kind of answer you might want.

Cheers,

Bill

Justa's post number 8 is a good example of what kind of answer he was looking for.

Thanks Bruce. That's helpful. And yes, that's a dead ringer for what I have.

My bins are clearly marked "Japan"

Coin Hound, thanks. I am enjoying them quite a bit. Haven't found fault with them yet, but I usually do given enough time. LOL

LOW describes their bins as "easy on the eyes" and so far I have to agree. Extended viewing has given me no strain whatsoever, and my eyes are particularly sensitive to misalignment.

Last edited:
My last trip to Namibia, Africa, I gave a pair of those Cabelas binoculars to one of the PH's there. He loved them, and last i heard was still using them. They really are quite good.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back