• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

32WW lens fault (1 Viewer)

Den

My 32xWW developed a milky spiral appearance on the inside of the eye lens. typically out of warranty. Never been wet ,dropped or anything. My other lenses have no problem. Sent it to Leica who sent me an estimate after a month for £93 for cleaning. Ouch!
The cannot tell me what caused it but if I do not accept the estimate they will send it back to me at a cost of £20+carriage. Nice one Leica. We all love you. I wonder if others have had similar problems?

Den said:
My 32xWW developed a milky spiral appearance on the inside of the eye lens. typically out of warranty. Never been wet ,dropped or anything. My other lenses have no problem. Sent it to Leica who sent me an estimate after a month for £93 for cleaning. Ouch!
The cannot tell me what caused it but if I do not accept the estimate they will send it back to me at a cost of £20+carriage. Nice one Leica. We all love you. I wonder if others have had similar problems?

I have a camera lens that has developed a strange pattern on an internal surface that might be fungus. I contacted various companies for estimates, and decided against it as the cost of cleaning was significantly more than the used value on ebay, and it's not a lens I use any more. I learnt from a bad experience with Jessops and Nikon that a) the manufacturers charge a lot for cleaning and b) they also charge for the estimate if you send them the lens. So I sent emails before sending the lens. BTW Nikon woud have charged me £10 for the estimate, and no P&P costs as it was via Jessops. But the cleaning costs were £200 (almost 10 years ago) and I was recently quoted about £120 from respected camera repairers. So you can guess who I now deal with. (Note also that I took a camera and lens to Jessops for repair, and they sent them to Nikon. I was quoted £200 and accepted. I was amazed when the items were returned to find they had cleaned the lens, and marked the camera as 'beyond repair'. I felt that I had been screwed. £200 to clean a lens was outrageous. And I'd been led to believe that the camera repair was included in the estimate.)

Leif

Last edited:
That sounds like bad after sales service to me. The cheek of it charging you 20 quid for your own lense to be returned is outragous.

Den said:
I have heard this about Leica. How long is the warranty - I thought it was for many years?

Just got the 32ww lens back from Leica. Only took 8 weeks! Everything seems to have to go back to Germany apparently. They decided to replace the lens rather then repair it at the original estimate cost of £110 (inc vat). I feel so lucky that, through no fault of my own the lens needed replacing!. I would have liked to know what went wrong with the original but Leica feel I do not need to know. I am glad to have the problem resolved as the scope is superb but can't help feeling Leica could treat customers a little better. At least I have saved over £59.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back