• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO Televid 77 (1 Viewer)

I am using the zoom eyepiece.What difference should be apparent betwen the zooms' 32x,and a fixed 32x eyepiece?
Even on both barrells(60x!) I don't see any AC or 'bent' image at the edges.
The fine focus is just that;operator error and tired eyes usual suspects for blurry views at any magnification.
I'm using The manfrotto r128c tripod head.The weight of the scope loosens the quick release plate regularly.I don't want to break the leg mount of the scope by over-tightening.Any advice?
What protective objective lens filter should I have got by now?

Ericmd said:
I am using the zoom eyepiece.What difference should be apparent between the zooms' 32x,and a fixed 32x eyepiece?

Mostly just a matter of FOV. The zoom lens gives more of a "tunnel" vision than the appropriately named wide angle lens.

Ericmd said:
What protective objective lens filter should I have got by now?

There seems to be a consensus that it is best NOT to use one (for optical reasons). I have a protective lens on my Nikon Fieldscope ED III, but none on my Leica APO 77. But I tend to cover the objective whenever possible. That means when travelling or so, but not while birding. My Leica Televid is among the first ones that came out, and that front lens still looks very good.

Ericmd said:
I'm using The manfrotto r128c tripod head.The weight of the scope loosens the quick release plate regularly.I don't want to break the leg mount of the scope by over-tightening.Any advice?

Do you mean the plate comes loose from the scope itself? If so, buy some "Loctite" from any car accessory shop. This is like a non-setting glue which you smear on the threads and prevents it shaking loose. There is also the possibility that your screw is fractionally too long, so it hits the base of the hole and so can never tighten properly.

As for a filter, there have been several threads on this. The consensus is that they can degrade the image and they are not really needed, provided you keep your lens hood extended. The exception is when you are likely to get the scope subjected to salt spray, when you might need to clean the lens frequently.

Pete

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back