• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Carrington Moss, Greater Manchester (1 Viewer)

Rob Smallwood

Carrington Moss is a large area, flanked by the huge chemical works known as Shell (haunt of the infamous "Shell Birders"), cut into by the training grounds of Manchesters United and City and merging into the farming areas of Dunham and suburban Partington.
As a boy I used to cycle the area, excited by the prospect of Snipe in the winter and Green Sandpiper and Little Ringed Plover on the then more accessible site of Altrincham Sewage Farm. (Read any old "where to watch" type book to see how impressive this site used to be, well regarded on a national as well as local scale.)
Later in the summer brought Turtle Dove to the riverside copses and Whitethroats were common.

Then as now the Moss would throw up interesting birds, always a good site for returning Wheatear, odd migrants such as Redstart and in the winter, Merlin and Sparrowhawk. Now Buzzards have moved in reflecting the expansion of their range across Cheshire.

There have also been a number of rarity records from the area - but it is the "bread & butter" birds that now catch my interest.

I have taken to walking a small portion of the Moss on a regular basis. I share this patch with the odd horse & rider, the odd motorbike scrambler from nearby Partington and the local farmer.

I first re-discovered this area last year when out looking for Bramblings. Last year around 50 hitched up with the local Chaffinch flock but this year I have hade to wait until February for the first birds - at least 4 are present with one male beginning to moult into its striking summer plumage.

Other birds in the area are a flock of wintering Corn Bunting, a widespread but not numerous breeder in the area, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting and Skylark. Yesterday I flushed 2 Grey Partridge, another bird whose numbers have dwindled over the years. A large flock of Fieldfare has adopted the area, accompanied by smaller numbers of Redwing.

Raptors have included Merlin, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk and Kestrel and the odd Little Owl.

The main pleasure of watching this small area regularly is to see the ever-changing birds. A flock of 40 Teal flushed off the brook by a Buzzard have never returned - perhaps they found safer refuge at Shell Pond or within the fenced off area of the Sewage Farm? In January I only saw 1 Reed Bunting, now there are at least 5 (and there is an unconfirmed report of over 15) - but they have replaced the Yellowhammers whose numbers have dwindled from over 20 to a handful. Have they moved on to better feeding areas or are they dispersing to set up territory?

I still like to get out further a field, but these days the lure of a new tick is being balanced by an appreciation of what is on my doorstep. You will probably see me lined up when this years equivalent of the Black Lark turns up. (I admit it - I went to Hoylake to look for and miss the Little Auk. It remains the last "tick" on my list that I am uncomfortable with - a ropey fly-by record from Cley many years ago) , but for the time being at least you are more likely to find me searching out that illusive Tree Sparrow or wondering if I might find this year's Dark-throated Thrush with the Fieldfares - we can all dream!

Hi Rob

enjoy your birding there! Sounds an interesting place.

I wouldn't fancy being in danger of catching a glimpse of Man. City 'training' though :eek!: ........I thought they just turned up at 3.00pm on a Saturday. Despite their heroic comeback midweek, I notice normal service was resumed yesterday. :news:

For City fans only no reds allowed??? Ever tried crossing the canal to Chat Moss sounds as though some good birds are to be found there these days.

Rob Smallwood said:
Sorry - that link gives me a message saying I do not have permission to access the page - now I am intrigued!!

I think this was in the Ruffled Feathers section, and you have to opt in to this before you can use it. Before a big re-vamp a little while ago, the serious-minded people on BF were getting upset at the number of "off-topic" messages that were filling up the "recent posts" slot. You can easily sign-in to RF if you wish. (Hope I'm correct in saying this, it was posted E&OE).

Sounds great Rob. Even though I grew up only 10 miles or so from Carrington Moss I've never actually been but I must go there on my next trip, especially for Grey Partridge. A chap I know who birds it regularly says it's best appreciated in the winter.

E
(Massive Red)

Last edited:
Winter and Spring are probably best - but Whitethroats are visible later in the year.

If you are hoping for Grey Partridge I would warn you that they are now far from common - I've only seen them once in the last 15 - 20 visits.

Do go though - like anywhere, the more it is watched, the more that will be seen.

Hey Rob, and other local carrington birders, I live in Hale Barns and would like to explore the carrington site. On the couple times i've been access to the fields haven't been easy and the ackers lane near man utd's training ground seems a no go. Can you help me with access arrangements. thank you. Henerz

You can access from various spots.

One of the better routes in is to park on Sinderland lane, oppositethe turn off to the Crematorium. There is a stile here that takes you along Dark Lane (a track) over the brook and out on to the Moss.

Once on the other side of the brook you get to a set aside field that has held Quail this summer and you can walk around the various fields.

Alternatively park at the entrance to Altrincham Sewage Farm (off Sinderland Lane) and you can access through the sewage farm.

I'll try and post a map later.

Cheers for the info Rob. I had a walk through the moss today but there was very little around apart from a pair of buzzards. The shell pond I noticed has a footpath along the south side but there were no good viewing places. Do you know of anywhere better for good views of the lake? Thanx, Henerz

Only if you can get hold of a permit I'm afraid - and they are rarer than..... well - they are not easy to come by due to restricted access.

Little Owl are showing well at the moment, and the long staying presumed escape Harris Hawk is still around.

Finch & bunting numbers should start building up soon - and the odd Hobby is still being seen - but they are impossible to predict.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back