• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Menorcan Report 6th - 20th May 2011 (1 Viewer)

Saturday 14th May 2011 (Part 1 of 1)

A quiet Saturday was in order. Simply chilled out in the morning after that long walk yesterday everything ached a little, plus a couple of blisters ouch!. The highlight of the day was catching the Greenfinches outside our apartment looking their best. Loved the blue sky, the white moon and a Greenfinch together in the same photo – the wolf howling Greenfinch LOL. :eek!:

The localised pair of Spotted Flycatchers remained as busy looking for food as ever. They ate all the flies and mozzies (I hope) that they could around the area of our apartment door. They where also collecting nest material from the base of the Palm Trees in view of our apartment, but I never found out where they where nesting at all. :-C

I sat at the base of a bush at the foot of the Ses Salines hotel, hoping to catch a photos of a Sardinian Warbler which was zzzz-ing and bouncing around the bush. Sadly the opportunity passed me by, and the bird must have flown off elsewhere

The Spotted Flycatchers on the other hand where very photogenic as always….posing was them. :gh:

Another enjoyable Beach party, and it was a chance for us to meet up with friends once more and catch up on their news. Plenty to say to people, and plenty to catch up with sailing or otherwise in our up and coming groups. B :)

The Scops Owl was in verbally fine fettle when the darkness drew in. it ‘poped’ its one note ‘tin can’ call from one tree to another, as it travelled around the whole area. Later on I decided to see if I could catch its call as a recording on camera. I managed to do exactly that after finding the tree it was hidden in above one of the restaurants.

The weather was starting to change. The change of air become more apparent to us. The sand started to swirl a little on the beach, and the Palm Trees created their usual sideway rustles. So the wind was on the horizon already.

I heard through the grapevine that it was going to be very windy tomorrow – knot 5 would be a good possibility for the days sailing – ekkk!!! :eek!:

1. Greenfinch
2. Greenfinch
3. View from apartment

more to come...

Attachments

• IMG_2453.JPG
    IMG_2453.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2454.JPG
    IMG_2454.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2450.JPG
    IMG_2450.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 44
Sunday 15th May 2011 (Part 1 of 1)

As mentioned yesterday, it was going to be a very windy day today, so we decided not to sail at all. The wind was hitting on 5-6 knots and 5 knots was the comfort zone limit for many who are on this sailing holiday.

The wind buffeted the boats all day, and the white horses flopped over and over in the bay. We saw our friends struggling to get their Laser Stratos back onto shore. It was a little on the mad side.
We where relieved as we watched them sail safely back in – even with a robust boat it was heavy going for everyone. We where glad we where well out of the water, and on dry land at times like this windy day.

Today was a quiet day, and all we did was go for a walk to Fornells and had a spot of lunch instead. I took some more photos here, and there.

I watched the Spotted Flycatchers contently from the apartment veranda. Such cuties…and I will miss them when we go back to the UK.
The pair of Spotted Flycatchers sat around the apartment from every perch while producing their on going quaint calls to one another. At one stage one bird perched on the Aloe Cactus plant sitting on our gateway. The bird looked really cute sitting on the flower stalk eyeing up the situation.

I made a large pot of tomato Pasta in the evening, and relaxed with some nice wine! Oh this is the life! :t:

1. Spotted flycatcher perched on Aloe Cactus

more to come...

Attachments

• IMG_2514.JPG
    IMG_2514.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 35
Monday 16th May 2011 (Part 1 of 1)

Once more we decided not to sail this morning. We woke up to the endless calling from our resident pair of Greenfinches. They can pack in a call all day without stopping for a break at all.

Armed with our Scope, binoculars and Camera, we went for a walk to the Saltpans close to the apartment. We where confronted with 1 Grey Heron, a few Kentish Plovers trotted about the area, 3 Little Egrets along with a sky load of Alpine Swifts and Swallows flitting in all directions around the skyline.

The Saltpans looked dried out, battered, and parched. The red earth underfoot was like cement underfoot. Quite unusual, as the water is usually much higher. A BoP stalked its way over the sky in the distance above the pylons on the other side of the main road. I could hear ‘mewing’ close by, and it echoed from the low hills close to the bay edge. The local Osprey was the first bird that came to mind, as we had not seen it this year so far.

We made our way back to the apartment, sat and had a cup of tea, and relaxed along with the local resident House Sparrows watching us contently hoping for some food.

The local Yellow Legged Gull watched us from the Ses Selines sign at the top of the local Restaurant nearby on the scrounge too!.

Tuesday 17th May 2011 (Part 1 of 1)

Another quiet morning, and my cold was slowly getting better if I had not the subject mentioned already. So I got some ‘cold’ tablets from the local chemist in Fornells, along with a visit to see my friend’s horses. I have got to say it is hard going to steer a boat, and blow one’s nose at the same time LOL.

Took a few photos of the flowers and wildlife as I saw it while on my walk about this morning. Butterflies are never around when it is windy and we have had a lot of windy days on this holiday.

Lots of lovely moon views to see in the evening time. :gh:

1. Moon at night time looking over bay
2 Saltpans at Ses Selines
3. Alpine Swifts

more to come...

Attachments

• IMG_2562.JPG
    IMG_2562.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2531.JPG
    IMG_2531.JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2536.JPG
    IMG_2536.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Wednesday 18th May 2011 (Part 1 of 1)

Another beautiful day and ideal for a bit more sailing. We started the day with a visit from our local cheeky Yellow Legged Gull. The Gull decided it would land on the balcony, and size up the situation with any food lying about. So with Gulls in mind, we made a point that no food was ever left unattended on the outside table, as it would have gone in a shot.

My OH went cycling with another couple of the guys from our sailing group. I went to the saltpans to have a mooch about for a while, and see if there where any wildlife of interest at all.

This time a group of Little Egrets x6 where busy feeding in the shallow areas of the Saltpans. They where sleeping in a row, and they all stood on one leg with their heads over their backs. The lone Avocet was back in the area of the saltpans, shifting the water with its bills for food. The Little Egrets woke up from their slumber, and started to panic by flapped up and down into air, and then they flew over to the Bay. The birds let out a flurry of alarm calls and flew off further on into the bay. The Kentish Plovers sounded their alarm, and they made themselves scare too.

Maybe the disturbance from people in general having a look in the area was coming a little too much for the birds. I crept about as not to disturb any wildlife, but on the other hand other people might not be so respectful of the birds. o:)

A vivid Green Lizard scuttled between the flora and fauna beneath my feet. The low growing foliage attracted all types of insects, butterflies and all types of small creatures. The Lizard made its mark but was gone in a flash. That was all I saw of the creature.

I made my way back to the apartment and watched the Spotted Flycatchers. picking up nest material from the base of the Palm trees. A House Sparrow enjoyed a dust bath in the heat of the day.

The Spotted flycatchers carried on with their posing by sitting in the evergreen tree amongst the pine cones right above my head… watching me, and the world go by at the same time.
The House Sparrows gave their version of entertainment. That meant they landed on the edges of the sailing equipment sheds looking very important, and official looking – cute! :gh:

1. Yellow Legged Gull on balcony
2. Yellow Legged Gull on balcony
3. Spotted Flycatcher searching out nest material
4. Spotted Flycatcher
5. Avocet at Saltpans... Ses Selines

more to some...

Attachments

• IMG_2669.JPG
    IMG_2669.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2670.JPG
    IMG_2670.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2676.JPG
    IMG_2676.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2682.JPG
    IMG_2682.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2639.JPG
    IMG_2639.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 45
Thursday 19th May 2011 (Part 1 of 1)

The last two days went quickly. Thursday afternoon was the big regatta race, and we did quite well in the afternoon. The weather was all over the place – it was windy, then calm so it was two extremes all of the time. It really affected the race, and how we progressed in the line up of boats. Still it is all part of the learning experience, and we enjoyed our fortnight a lot.

Thursday night was a big get together of all our sailing friends, and ourselves. We had a lovely final meal at Es Crache, and really enjoyed each others company before the big farewell tomorrow.

Friday 20th May 2011 (Part 1 of 1)

The ‘sailing’ holiday ended, and we will go next year as per usual in May 2012.

I have recorded bird songs that I will try to download in due course. The correct species will be added to photos on this report asap :t:

Take note: we are going to Northern Spain on the 20th-26th November 2011, and it is solely a bird watching holiday. I am really looking forward to it a lot. We have talked to the leader already on Sunday night past and cannot wait for the big event now. It will be a great experience for us.

1. Kentish Plovers
2. Avocet/Little Egrets
3. Little egret x6

All 3 photos where taken at Ses Selines Saltpans

Thank you for reading this report. :t::t::t::gh::t::t::t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• IMG_2642.JPG
    IMG_2642.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2650.JPG
    IMG_2650.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2652.JPG
    IMG_2652.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Thank you for a very interesting report, I enjoyed reading it very much. It must have taken you ages! Always nice to know what is going on nearby and good of you to include butterflies and insects. I was envious about all the Alpine swifts, we get them here but rarely in large numbers. Michael

Hi Mike

Thank you for your kind reply. Yes it took me a while to complete the report. I fell back on notes that I kept from my holidays

The Alpine Swifts seemed to be in good numbers in May-time. We are going next year no doubt in May-time once more, and see similar bird species as we do on a yearly basis.

I will look into some of your reports on BF, and see what you have bird-wise in your area.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Hi Kathy

Great report.

I'm intrigued about your observation "Lots of tiny Silver Speckled Moths flew about, and they where too small to see in the undergrowth due to their size. They landed and blended into the background perfectly as they always shut their wings once they had landed."

I've been studying the moth fauna of the Balearic Islands for some years, mainly in Mallorca. Do you recall anything else about the moths? E.g ground colour (light/dark), rough idea of size, elongate or triangular or restricted to a particular plant?

All may help in making a guess at what they were.

Best wishes

Martin

Hi Kathy

Great report.

I'm intrigued about your observation "Lots of tiny Silver Speckled Moths flew about, and they where too small to see in the undergrowth due to their size. They landed and blended into the background perfectly as they always shut their wings once they had landed."

I've been studying the moth fauna of the Balearic Islands for some years, mainly in Mallorca. Do you recall anything else about the moths? E.g ground colour (light/dark), rough idea of size, elongate or triangular or restricted to a particular plant?

All may help in making a guess at what they were.

Best wishes

Martin

Hi Martin

These 'moth' type creatures where really tiny, and very hard to photograph. A colouration of silver/beige was the main thing I noted about them

The main area that they resided was along the 'rocky' area where there was very little vegetation, and plants. They liked to perch on grasses mainly.

Can I ask what moth species that do reside in Menorca, and compare what i have noticed with current species in the area.

The last time I ever saw anything that small was a couple of years ago when I spotted a Green Hairstreak Butterfly at Ses Selines. The green was unmistakable, and the size was tiny.

Regards
Kathy
x

Hi Kathy

That would be a list of several hundred species.

Did your moth look anything like the one illustratd here:
http://www.lepiforum.de/cgi-bin/lepiwiki.pl?Eteobalea_Dohrnii

Best wishes

Martin

Hi Martin

Gosh Martin that is a hard one - I never knew there where so many species on one island

I can say it did have the lace wing effect that your photos show, and the size is similar

We will be going to Menorca next year 2012 in May time, and hopefully we will get a decent photo or two ((due to the new upmarket camera that we have now).

We live in hope. ;)

Regards
Kathy
x

There are probably a lot more species to add to the list that we've not found yet. I make new discoveries each time I visit.

I'll certainly look forward to seeing anything you may be able to photograph.

Best wishes

Martin

There are probably a lot more species to add to the list that we've not found yet. I make new discoveries each time I visit.

I'll certainly look forward to seeing anything you may be able to photograph.

Best wishes

Martin

Hi Martin

I would love to add to your list of new discoveries anytime, as each year in Menorca is never the same at all in the wildlife front.

Roll on 2012 and see what it brings. ;):-O

Regards
Kathy
x

hi there

After my trip to Northern Spain - November 2011, and a chat or too, about species that are connected to Menorca island that are unique to the area. I got an interesting result of two of my questions.

1) A Corn Bunting flew above our heads from both sides of the track. It caught our attention over and over again with its ‘bt’ ‘bt’ song as it bobbed up, and down over and over again.

This one bird that was making the continual 'zziting' 'bt' 'bt' noise was a Zitting Cisticola juncidis (Fan Tailed Warbler) (I thought it was a Corn Bunting and I was wrong) - (correction noted)

2) A group of Cormorants of at least 12 in all, flew across in unison across the blue sea, and aimed towards the groups of bird’s further out to sea. The sunlight shone on the group of mixed seabirds. There was a mass of brown, white, with longish tails in the mixed groups which put me in the mind of Shearwaters. (I have been lucky to have seen them before at Tirant) Another strong contender was Little Auks as the white, and black colouration showed up well in the distance with the sun shining on the one area of water that the birds congregated in a mass.

This area of my report stated Little Auks and the chance of these species are zero in Menorca, and Gillimots where the most likely contender for the species of birds noted (correction noted)

We live and learn everyday LOL :gh:

Regards
Kathy
x

Hmmm, the only alcids to be reliably found in the Balearics are Razorbills and Puffins (always in small numbers) and even those two would be very very rare in May. I guess they actually were shearwaters, probably Yelkouan or Balearic (Balearics in Menorca can look very similar to Yelkouan) or maybe even Cory's (Scopoli's) Shearwaters.

I have been birding here for 4 years including quite a lot of coastal and sea watching. I have not been lucky enough to see any Puffin or Razorbill. I do see plenty of shearwaters, nearly always Balearic and Cory's, but sometimes Yelkouan near Menorca in spring, so I agree with Motmot that they were more likely one of these species. Hope this helps and that you can solve the mystery! Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back