• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steady Monopod. (1 Viewer)

I use a Gitzo monopod with my telescope. With the 12cm spike screwed in it is very stable in vegetation and soil but obviously not on hard ground.

Hi all does anyone know of a way to stabilize a monopod sideway movement

I think this is as much about how you use it than anything else. A monopod is no more than part of a tripod with you being the other 2 legs. I find this means that you have to have the monopod some way in front of you with your legs about a shoulder width apart. I think this is why I struggle with the concept of a monopod with a foot plate that you stand on, it seems to throw the balance right out.

There are lots of theories on monopod techniques but the best one I have found is to have legs apart in a comfortable position and have the monopod in front to form a tripod but have it so it is angled towards you and not up straight. You obviously have to have the Camera/lens also at an angle to the monopod so it is level/parallel (hope this makes sense as it is difficult to describe.

The closer to the ground you can get the more stable it becomes as well. I am habitually crouched when shooting, with the monopod braced against one leg/knee, and everything tucked in.

I too have a metal spike on mine its from an old fishing umbrela its about 12" long so good for sticking in sand .
Rob.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back