• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (2 Viewers)

Well I've got a 500mm f4L and I've ordered the tamron to replace my Sigma 150-500mm zoom. The big prime is great, but if i'm going out all day and walking around, I prefer the lighter zoom. The Sigma was my first long lens and I've been waiting for an update of the 100-400mm to replace it but Canon just waited too long.
Jim, I can understand anyone with a Sigma 150-500 wanting to upgrade to the Tammy that for sure (one that I tried was soft as soap at the long end and at normal shooting distances was not a lot longer than the 400/5.6). There will always be exception but I still say that in the main anyone with a nice big white super tele will not be rushing out to buy this lens - If its a case of wanting something smaller for walking around then I would much sooner have a used Canon 300/2.8 IS MkI myself - not a lot heavier than the Tammy, awesome at 300mm, you lose very little at 420mm and useable at 600mm.
At the end of the day Jim, you are obvious happy about the big hit you take between your existing Siggy and the 500/4 and that's fair enough but I would suspect that the majority of 500/4 users would not entertain it.

Last edited:
8-PI cannot understand the reasons behind...except 5D3 uses a far better AF system than any other cropped sized Canon bodies
From everything I have read thus far AF is way better with a FF Camera like the 5D3 than with a crop Camera - this would suit me B :)

I doubt it. I have enjoyed using my Panasonic 100-300 for the past 3 years but I want to upgrade the lens and I don't see anything coming from m43 for a long while. I will likely pick up a used D7100 with this Tamron 150-600mm as it should be a good upgrade for the next few years and limits the total cost to $2k.

Great

..except 5D3 uses a far better AF system than any other cropped sized Canon bodies
That is the reason I would suggest Mark!
I have not done any bird photograph as such with the 5D3 but I have played around with a few BIF with a 70-200 + 1.4x tc and although I am the biggest fan of the 7D the 5D3 AF system is in a different league IMHO.

This new Tamron Zoom would be good for wild life Vidio and if I shot more vidio i would no doult get one as I have at time's been stuck with a prime with a Heron etc walking right up to me and of cause not been able to zoom out .

Even if the len's proves to be a little soft at the long end it would not show for on a vidio.
Rob.

I'm interested to see how this turns out. Early shots look quite good. I had the old Tamron 200-500 but without IS it was pretty unusable without a tripod in the UK so I swapped to a Sigma. But the Tamron was slightly better IQ I thought is the best light. Now swapped to a full frame camera and the results with the Sigma are better than they were previously on the Canon 50D - despite having to crop more. So a 600mm would be very welcome to get some of the range back. Looked around today and everywhere seems to be out of stock so if there have been any they have all sold quickly. Price in the US seems to be about 30% lower than in the UK though so might wait to see if the price comes down.

Price in the US seems to be about 30% lower than in the UK though so might wait to see if the price comes down.
I am sure the price will come down Alan, once all the early adopters have had their fill and stocks become plentiful we should see some healthy competition. I would not be surprised if it was available for around £800 in a couple of months time (lower still from the gray market guys).
In the states they tend to go right in on a good price (but remember their prices do not include taxes) but in Europe you will always pay a hefty premium for getting in early. Its the same with Cameras, I remember the 7D when it first came out going for £1800 but within a few months it had come down to £1200 and even less in some places.

Will it work with a Nikon 1.4 TC [acknowledging that it may not autofocus even on newer Nikon bodies]?
The Nikon version has not been released yet (two months away) but it is f6.3 at the long end so adding at tc to that would not be highly recommended.

The Nikon version has not been released yet (two months away) but it is f6.3 at the long end so adding at tc to that would not be highly recommended.

Based on my experience with putting a Kenko 1.4x on a Sigma 50-500 OS on Nikon bodies, I would agree; autofocus should work even though the maximum aperture is f/9, but the image quality would probably be unacceptable.

interesting photo there mic .was this on a private pond ,we don't have goldfish in our lakes normally .have you tried b.i.f with the 70d on it yet

interesting photo there mic .was this on a private pond ,we don't have goldfish in our lakes normally .have you tried b.i.f with the 70d on it yet

This is in Cyprus. It is a very big lake that does have goldfish and the coot was quite far away.

AF on the 70D works just fine with birds in flight. Call uld track them ok, they were just too far for a good photo

Looks very nice to my eyes. I would say that this will be a very nice lens for birders - long reach (valuable for documenting a rarity sighting etc.), not too heavy (should be ok for carrying it around for longer periods), good (or even great if conditions are right) picture quality (especially compared to other xx-500mm zooms). And if the IQ is not completely garbage than I don't see much flaws in it. I mean all of it for less then £1000? That's awesome!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back