• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (6 Viewers)

"If your photographs aren't good enough, you're not close enough."
Robert Capa

;)
That is true but if you cannot get near enough then it helps if you have a lens that will stand a fair amount of cropping if only for web size images, I am beginning to think that the Tammy does not take the amount of cropping that some other lenses that I have had will which,for me, does away with a lot of the Tammy focal length advantage as I rarely get that near to the birds, especially waders in the Estuary.
The attached images shows the original full frame and then a heavily cropped version (both with the 400/5.6 as it happens). I have not been able to crop anywhere near as heavy as this with the Tammy yet but am still trying.
BTW both these images were shot with the 40D!

Attachments

• bw3.jpg
    bw3.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 72
  • bw2v2.jpg
    bw2v2.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 99
  • wren_org.jpg
    wren_org.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 81
  • wren3v2.jpg
    wren3v2.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
As I promised, I'd post some shots with the 150-600 on my Sony body when I got the lens - I received it today when I got home from work, and though it was very late with failing light and I only had my backyard for test subjects, I did snap a handful of shots just to test the lens and make sure it wasn't damaged in shipping, was aligned, that focus was accurate on my body and didn't require any adjustments, etc. I tested two specific things in my yard - wide-open aperture (F5) at 150mm to test the wide end performance, and wide-open aperture (F6.3) at the 600mm end to test that performance (which admittedly is the part that's most important to me). As a general caveat for my tests - I owned the lens exactly 8 minutes when I took these, I could only photograph what was available in my backyard at 6:30pm, I shot only in JPG, straight from camera, handheld, and these are unedited, and because of the lower light, I had to raise the ISO quite a bit at the long end so the shots are at ISO1000 and 1600. Still, I was able to confirm the lens seems all OK and to spec, and the performance just in these first tests looks very good to my eye. The shots linked below are all posted at full size, from-camera JPGs with no editing...go to the link for each image, then click 'original' just under the photo to see the full size:

150mm F5:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3702150612/photos/3020135/tamron-150-600-first-tests-041

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3702150612/photos/3020134/tamron-150-600-first-tests-035

600mm F6.3:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3702150612/photos/3020133/tamron-150-600-first-tests-029

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3702150612/photos/3020132/tamron-150-600-first-tests-001

Once I get to the weekend, I'll have a lot more opportunity in good light, and a lot more birds and wildlife to choose from...but I wanted to share the very first shots as I promised I would for those waiting for Sony-body examples.

Looks like you're in for some good times with the Tamron, Justin! Looking forward to further results

Managed a quick session with the 40D + Tammy combo again today. The shots turned out a better than yesterday's effort IMO and I am reasonable pleased with these. Shot from around 20 metres I guess so still big(ish)crops. The first two were taken at 600mm but the third one was at 500mm and cropped a bit more.

Attachments

• 40D curlew2.jpg
    40D curlew2.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 40D curlew1.jpg
    40D curlew1.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 40D curlew3 500mm.jpg
    40D curlew3 500mm.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Thank you Peter. Looking forward to it myself, though mother nature is playing tricks on me, and this weekend may end up being a rain-out. So my first proper weekend to get out and try the lens is now forecast for a 70-80% chance of rain both days as a tropical low floats over South Florida from the Bahamas and dumps a load of rain. We ALWAYS have rain, pretty much every day, but it's just a brief passing shower...this weekend, unless the forecast changes, looks more ominous and permanent than that.

Looks better Roy ,it could be a case of needing some Micro adjustment ,my heads spinning with various combinations of how to achieve the same result from different combos ,think I need to win the lottery

Thanks Roy.

I'm vaguely unhappy with this image, but I'm not sure if it's the lens or me. (And it's not the thistle down the bird has on its face.)

So, some questions for the experts, please:

The tail is out of focus, presumably I needed a higher f number to capture the whole bird?

There is a quality that suggests to my eye a very slight blur. Do you sense any blur here, or am I becoming paranoid?

The seed in the bird's mouth seems to have an 'aura' of light around it. Do you agree? If so, do you know why?

Any other issues?

Thanks

ISO 250
focal length 360 mm (720 mm)
f/6.0
1/250 sec
distance approx 6 metres

100% crop

Handheld, supported by "sniper" position on the ground.

Attachments

• sep11-ct-crop.jpg
    sep11-ct-crop.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 146
with 70d

Light years better than my shots from the 40D which proves my point that mine were very disappointing although I guess if you can get a lot nearer then that counts for an awful lot.

Probably a combination of both Roy. Older camera for you and I may have been closer. Plus after our little spat, I have been trying to take your advice and learn from it. All of these were shot in AI SERVO, and focused using back button and focus limiter set to full. :t: All hand held at 600mm. I am very happy with the results. I think it just goes to show that this is a good lens for the money as even a newb like me can get some shots showing nice feather detail in harsh mid day light.

Thanks Roy.

I'm vaguely unhappy with this image, but I'm not sure if it's the lens or me. (And it's not the thistle down the bird has on its face.)

So, some questions for the experts, please:

The tail is out of focus, presumably I needed a higher f number to capture the whole bird?

There is a quality that suggests to my eye a very slight blur. Do you sense any blur here, or am I becoming paranoid?

The seed in the bird's mouth seems to have an 'aura' of light around it. Do you agree? If so, do you know why?

Any other issues?

Thanks

ISO 250
focal length 360 mm (720 mm)
f/6.0
1/250 sec
distance approx 6 metres

100% crop

Handheld, supported by "sniper" position on the ground.

What processing have you done on the image? Personally I agree there does seem something that just doesn't jump out with it. Was your focus point on the eye? If this is unprocessed I'd run it through DPP/LR/Photoshop and see what the end result is.

Again this is a personal view but that shutter speed and handheld is low to me. At the very least I would have up'd the ISO and hence faster shutter. Yes the whole bird is not in focus due to f stop.

Cheers

Phil

Last edited:
Probably a combination of both Roy. Older camera for you and I may have been closer. Plus after our little spat, I have been trying to take your advice and learn from it. All of these were shot in AI SERVO, and focused using back button and focus limiter set to full. :t: All hand held at 600mm. I am very happy with the results. I think it just goes to show that this is a good lens for the money as even a newb like me can get some shots showing nice feather detail in harsh mid day light.
I have found that the lens is a very capable performer providing you do not have to crop all that heavily. I got the lens to use with my FF Camera but am finding it is too short for me to avoid heavy crops the majority of the time (= 375mm on a crop Camera like the 70D). I could get a new 1.6 crop Camera but from previous experience shooting at 600mm on the 7D I would still have to crop a fair bit at times - from my limited use with the lens thus far it does not take the amount of cropping that I was used to when doing a lot of bird snapping a few years ago. It still leaves me a lot to think about if I do decide to carry on bird snapping :eek!:

Cropping with Tamron

I have found that the lens is a very capable performer providing you do not have to crop all that heavily. I got the lens to use with my FF Camera but am finding it is too short for me to avoid heavy crops the majority of the time (= 375mm on a crop Camera like the 70D). I could get a new 1.6 crop Camera but from previous experience shooting at 600mm on the 7D I would still have to crop a fair bit at times - from my limited use with the lens thus far it does not take the amount of cropping that I was used to when doing a lot of bird snapping a few years ago. It still leaves me a lot to think about if I do decide to carry on bird snapping :eek!:

The east pond at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge in New York is great for photographing waders. Many of the birds walk right up to you when you stay very still. I have not had to apply too much cropping lately but find that the lens performs well with perfect conditions. Meaning I get the best crops when I have the best conditions that I took the shot in. Prior to my 70d I had a 20d and find the 70d leagues better in every way. Here are 2 shots I got this morning in decent light.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/15196026856/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/120553232@N02/15219188805/in/photostream/

Tammy shots

Great shots Issac and nice reflection,

Thanks. I am very pleased with my set up. Total cost was just about $2,000 US for the 70D and the Tamron. I fully acknowledge that it is not anywhere near the best set up out there, but for the money, I think good quality photos can be made with it. I'll be out soon trying to get some more shots.

I am starting think Roy if reach is needed for a lot of your estuary shots the astroscope set up was probably the best setup for IQ.

What do you think as you have had both a astrocope and now the tammy.

I am starting think Roy if reach is needed for a lot of your estuary shots the astroscope set up was probably the best setup for IQ.

What do you think as you have had both a astrocope and now the tammy.
The Astroscope set-up certainly gave better results as I was at 840mm ( using a 1.4x tc) and I was also using the 7D then Paul so was getting 1344mm 'reach' against 600mm (Tammy + FF). Although the astroscope set-up weighed about the same as the Tammy it was more cumbersome to cart around on a tripod and of course the astro set-up was manual focus which was not ideal although it did not bother me a lot.
For those who wonder what we are talking about here is a pic of a 600mm astroscope (£300) used as a prime lens with a 7D. Strictly tripod and manual focus but very good IQ for distant birds.

Attachments

• skywatcher 80EDv1a.jpg
    skywatcher 80EDv1a.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 81
The Astroscope set-up certainly gave better results as I was at 840mm ( using a 1.4x tc) and I was also using the 7D then Paul so was getting 1344mm 'reach' against 600mm (Tammy + FF). Although the astroscope set-up weighed about the same as the Tammy it was more cumbersome to cart around on a tripod and of course the astro set-up was manual focus which was not ideal although it did not bother me a lot.
For those who wonder what we are talking about here is a pic of a 600mm astroscope (£300) used as a prime lens with a 7D. Strictly tripod and manual focus but very good IQ for distant birds.

wonder how the new monarch scopes will do in IQ,
750mm/f6 on DX sensor is not bad,
manual focus but with focus confirmation (nikon body only obviously),

with the new D750 it will be a lightweight setup, about 1500 grams (lens unit + adapter)
usable as tele lens and as scope (prism house + eye piece about 550 grams),

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/dsystem/fsa-l3/index.htm

If anyone in the UK is interested I have my mint copy of the Tammy in the 'for sale section' at a good savings from the new price. Just not long enough on the full frame to avoid heavy cropping.

Nikon D7100/Tamron 150-600mm

Thanks for your help Phil. Probably my focus point wasn't the eye. I've also taken your advice and tried to work at a higher shutter speed.

For anyone interested in the Nikon D7100/Tamron 150-600mm combination in a newbie's hands, here are a few more pics.

I've not been able to get out in the sunshine, so no blue skies here - hazy sunshine at best - but it gives some idea of performance with somewhat reduced light, which is unfortunately all too typical in the UK.

But we're not talking about seriously overcast skies for any of these pics.

All were handheld. All were single shots - I've not been using burst mode, although I will start trying this soon. All have been cropped.

All have been processed in lightroom, which has been pretty good at getting rid of noise from higher ISO shots, like the black headed gull.

Three action shots - the first at quite long range.

Long Range: Diving Black Headed Gull
Approximate Distance 65 m
ISO 800
Focal Length 550 mm (35 mm equivalent: 1100 mm)
Aperture f/6.3
Shutter: 1/1000 s

Carrion Crow
Approximate Distance 25 m
ISO 400
Focal Length 300 mm (35 mm equivalent: 600 mm)
Aperture f/5.6
Shutter: 1/2500 s

Flying Fulmar
Approximate Distance 60 m
ISO 400
Focal Length 300 mm (35 mm equivalent: 600 mm)
Aperture f/5.6
Shutter: 1/3200 s

p.s. very, very nice pics hosesbroadbill.

Attachments

• Black Headed Gull Diving.jpg
    Black Headed Gull Diving.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Carrion Crow in Flight.jpg
    Carrion Crow in Flight.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Flying Fulmar.jpg
    Flying Fulmar.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
And two more pics, this time the birds were stationary and I was closer. As above regarding handheld, etc.

Crusty Crow
Approximate Distance 10 - 15 m
ISO 400
Focal Length 280 mm (35 mm equivalent: 560 mm)
Aperture f/5.6
Shutter: 1/800 s

Blue Tit
Approximate Distance 6 m
ISO 800
Focal Length 400 mm (35 mm equivalent: 800 mm)
Aperture f/7.1
Shutter: 1/500 s

Attachments

• Crusty Crow.jpg
    Crusty Crow.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Bluetit and Seed.jpg
    Bluetit and Seed.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 109
wonder how the new monarch scopes will do in IQ,
750mm/f6 on DX sensor is not bad,
manual focus but with focus confirmation (nikon body only obviously),

with the new D750 it will be a lightweight setup, about 1500 grams (lens unit + adapter)
usable as tele lens and as scope (prism house + eye piece about 550 grams),

http://www.nikon.com/products/sportoptics/lineup/dsystem/fsa-l3/index.htm

would that be more of a digiscoping solution, or can it function in prime mode as the astroscopes?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back