• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2014 (2 Viewers)

A few House martins were trickling through the south-east this evening at the lighthouse, Porto Petro, battling against a strong wind. Also one Northern gannet. Mike

Hi Kevin, it's moving around but has been seen by a few non-birders and the locals say it is usually in the same area. I saw it yesterday from the car just through Campos on the road to Llucmajor but they say it is usually near Campos the other side on the road to Santanyi which is quite a wide area. I have been about six times and only seen it once so it is a long shot I'm afraid. Good luck if you go! Mike

I looked all around Campos on Saturday and spent 4 hours at the saltpans without seeing the White Stork. Dipped on Bluethroat also. Had Marmoras and lots of Theklas at Porto Colom on the way back to Arta.

Sorry about that Kevinh, I went to Salobrar yesterday and have never known the place to be so quiet. I also went to Porto Colom today and saw just the same as you but at least it now seems to be the number one site for Balearic warbler. I hope you have had better luck elsewhere! Mike

A couple of House martins and a Barn swallow were the only signs of migration this afternoon in Mondragó. I will be up north tomorrow and will report. Mike

Eight Common crane in flight just outside Campos this morning was a fantastic sight against a perfect blue sky. Also one Sparrowhawk near Capdellà later in the day and five Red kites and three Booted eagles seen on the journey home. Mike

Hello everyone

I've been reading this thread as I will be visiting Majorca for the first time during the first week of April.

I am currently going through various trip reports to work out where the best places are.

The visit to the island has come about as my wife is going as part of a training trip with a triathlon club. That should mean I have plenty of time to go birding myself!

It would be good to hear from people who may be visiting Majorca at the same time. If anyone may be interested in sharing a hire car for a couple of days please let me know - I will be be staying in Can Picafort.

All the best, Chris

Hi Chris! Seems like I will miss you by a couple of days. I am only going on the 9th of April. Anyway, from Can Picafort it's just a little bicycle drive to S'Albufera, i.e. One of the best spots on the island! Have fun! Michael

Have to agree with Michael,S'Albufera Is a great place and even more so,at the time of year you shall be there.Also worth a trip a bit further north to Puerto Pollensa area.I could go on but I would Imagine you will have read about these areas.

I was there last summer and hope to be back this summer again,so that should give an Idea of how I feel about the place.

No sign yet of the Egyptian vultures near Artá, only one pair breed and this is the only place to see them. Otherwise, migration is much later and slower than the last few years, I have always seen Common swift by this time but none yet this year. Perhaps it will all come at once this year. Mike

I fully agree with Eric. The book is a must-have for Mallorca birders. The leaflet is a handout at the registration/info center of the S'Albufera reserve. Have fun there!

I am really looking forward to my first visit in 2014 - April 10. who's going to be there as well before Easter?

Best, Michael

I'll be out there the last week in April, its a great place to do some leisurely Birding, & get a bit of sunshine aswell

SÀlbufera is great, especially lodge no. 10 ;-)

Yes, the Sa Roca hide can be great, especially late afternoon to evening when the light is right. I had great views of Caspian Tern from there last year and one autumn had 50 Marsh Harrier in the air at once, a pre-roost flight. Stunning!

I'll be there from 24 March for three weeks.

Martin

Thanks for peoples replies to my post.
Unfortunately I got my dates wrong - it is actually the 2nd week of April that I will be there! Exact dates are 5th April to 12th April.
I do plan a few trips to S'Albufera, and probably will hire a push bike to get there and other nearby places.
Thanks again, Chris

Hi Chris

Remember to get a lock for your bike as some of the tracks are for pedestrians only and you need to leave your bike some way from the hides. We may bump in to each other as your week is in the middle of my stay - and I'm based in s'Abufera.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back