• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (1 Viewer)

Boquer Valley - Revisit

Visit to Boquer Valley showed ususal suspects:

Blue rock thrush
Booted Eagles
Crag Martins(>10)
Sardinia warblers
Balearic Warbler
Song Thrush
Black Redstarts

One Alpine Accentor was reported at the end of the valley as the path descended o the shore (I failed to see it)

A fabulous day spent up north despite the rain and cold. The main reserve was full of birders which surprised my but then I remembered that it was the annual count of aquatic birds.
Nothing unusual, lots of Kentish Plovers, some Dunlin, Little Stint and a report of an unseasonal Little-ringed Plover although I didn't see it.
On to Tucan Marsh for Little Grebe and then to Albufereta which was the best of them all. The new tower is amazing, really high and overlooking the whole reserve. My guess is that there will be a queue to use it at peak migration times. Two Great White Egret and a Spoonbill and five Sandwich Terns were present. Mike

Albufera / Albuferera

A fabulous day spent up north despite the rain and cold. The main reserve was full of birders which surprised my but then I remembered that it was the annual count of aquatic birds.
Nothing unusual, lots of Kentish Plovers, some Dunlin, Little Stint and a report of an unseasonal Little-ringed Plover although I didn't see it.
On to Tucan Marsh for Little Grebe and then to Albufereta which was the best of them all. The new tower is amazing, really high and overlooking the whole reserve. My guess is that there will be a queue to use it at peak migration times. Two Great White Egret and a Spoonbill and five Sandwich Terns were present. Mike

Hi Mike

Very sorry to miss you in the rain today
We got to Albufera late.
Nothing unusual but nice number of Marsh Harriers.
Also went to Depudora and again not that unusual.
Nice flocks of linnets

The Tower is amazing

Hope to meet up eventually

Good birding and enjot St.Antons day

Mike

La Gola

On a very noisy but fun St. Antoni day, visited La Gola.
Birds seen included: 2 Little Egrets, Common Kingfisher, Common Sandpiper, Black redstarts, Sardinia warblers, Goldfinch, Siskins, Cormorants, Black headed gulls, common tern and sandwich tern.

Mike, no sign of Audouins Gull along the beach area - has the construction along the beach had any impact?

Met Andy at the tree climbing event in Port Pollensa

On a very noisy but fun St. Antoni day, visited La Gola.
Birds seen included: 2 Little Egrets, Common Kingfisher, Common Sandpiper, Black redstarts, Sardinia warblers, Goldfinch, Siskins, Cormorants, Black headed gulls, common tern and sandwich tern.

Mike, no sign of Audouins Gull along the beach area - has the construction along the beach had any impact?

Met Andy at the tree climbing event in Port Pollensa

Hi Mike
I assume from previous Ann. Orn. that your Common Tern will be a very early record (usually not seen until April).
I've not been to PP recently, what is the construction?
Best wishes
Martin

Hi Mike and Martin
I don't know what the construction is either but I have seen Audouin's gulls along the beach this year.
Common tern would be very unusual. I have seen more Sandwich terns this year than any other. All along the south and east coast has produced sightings including one in the harbour of Porto Colom this morning and three in Porto Petro, my first record ever in my local port.
Mike, did you get good views/photos? Anything is possible but as Martin says, they are not usually seen before April.
Mike

On the annual count of aquatic birds in Parc Mondrago, the staff showed me some orchids which are just coming into bloom. I am no expert but I will try to find out and post here all orchid sightings. Parc Mondrago is quite good I believe but there will be many other sites around the whole Island.
Woodcock seen locally again tonight just before dark. Mike

If my Catalan translation is correct, there are some odd things about, including a Golden Oriol recently on Cabrera.
Martin

All very strange Martin what with a December Spotted Flycatcher and other unseasonal birds. I have seen so many terns recently and as I still have no telescope I could not be sure that they were all Sandwich, some were just my assumption. As you know with birding, never assume! It will be very interesting to see what else turns up. Mike

Hi Mike
I assume from previous Ann. Orn. that your Common Tern will be a very early record (usually not seen until April).
I've not been to PP recently, what is the construction?
Best wishes
Martin

Hi Martin, Mike

The construction works in PP involve roadwork changes along the beach to create a one way traffic system. The road will also be widened to create a dedicated cycle lane

The beach road is now like a bomb site and hopefully finished by the summer!

Black headed Gulls and Shags still on the small rocks off the beach but no sign of ususal views of Audouins Gulls

Interesting about the timing of the common tern

No photos I am afraid.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info.

Would that be one-way out of town, heading towards Alcudia, or the opposite?

Martin

All very strange Martin what with a December Spotted Flycatcher and other unseasonal birds. I have seen so many terns recently and as I still have no telescope I could not be sure that they were all Sandwich, some were just my assumption. As you know with birding, never assume! It will be very interesting to see what else turns up. Mike

Hi Mike

I wonder if there will be any unseasonal moths, too. I guess I'll have to rely on my new Mallorca and Menorca mothing contacts!

Martin

I have not been able to get back to the UK Martin as I was going to bring back a moth trap. Otherwise I would have been bombarding you with photos and questions!
I hope that my operation happens soon so that I can get fit again and start mothing. That's the plan anyway, I know I will enjoy the challenge very much. Mike

Boquer Valley

Alpine Accentor just seen at the enterance to the Valley on Roof of Finca (17.00)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 99
I have not been able to get back to the UK Martin as I was going to bring back a moth trap. Otherwise I would have been bombarding you with photos and questions!
I hope that my operation happens soon so that I can get fit again and start mothing. That's the plan anyway, I know I will enjoy the challenge very much. Mike
Hi Mike
I thought you had Peter's trap - or did you just borrow it once?
Anyway, that sounds good as I've not seen any moths from Mondrago since we ran our Pinar studies some years ago. There should be some good stuff.
It's freezing fog here overnight so I think I'll pop out tomorrow to my local patch as 4 Bittern were seen there today. I may then visit Richmond Park on the way back to try for the Dartford Warbler that's been there.
All the best
Martin

Hi Martin
I did buy Peter's trap but I could never get it to work. It needed a generator and as I live in a block of flats, that didn't go down too well. When clearing out our garage my good lady insisted it went so I no longer have it!
I think you said these new compact ones ran on batteries which would be much better. I could go to Mondrago and set it up there.
Lucky you with Bitterns, there are very few here and I have yet to see one. Dartford Warblers are also scarce but there are a few at Son Real.
Good luck with the winter birding, there are some great birds here at the moment. Mike

Hello Mike I am an avid reader of your posts, I read all of your posts last year prior to my visit in late April and I am heading out there again end of April, I tried to cover most of the gosneys book but Son Real was one which I just never got round to visiting.
I have tried to find info on the "Blue Walk number four" and wondered could you give me the co-ordinates of the hide location on google maps, I've tried to zoom in to try and spot a building, but no joy.
Cheers Brian

Hi Martin
I did buy Peter's trap but I could never get it to work. It needed a generator and as I live in a block of flats, that didn't go down too well. When clearing out our garage my good lady insisted it went so I no longer have it!
Mike
Hi Mike
It should have run off the mains - that's what I do in s'Albufera - but it does need a choke. If that wasn't there, or was faulty, it wouldn't work.
Shame you disposed of it as it would have come in handy at s'Albufera.
I hope you are fit enough to visit the UK some time soon - as well as making sure you can get out and see all the fantastic birds.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back