• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Serrania de Ronda/Sierra de Grazalema (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner said:
I'll be there (Sierra de Grazalema) for 5 days in the first or second week of April.

Jane, Just send a PM when you know your dates and I will try to let you know what exactly is happening and where. The Lesser Kestrels are back at Zahara, but even more in Setenil, do you know this village? :scribe:

Alan Seaton said:
This is getting even more interesting. Where exactly is the feeding station? Any directions?

Hello Alan,
Just get in touch when you are coming over and I should be able to point you in the right direction for the feeding station. However, I am a bit wary to go public on the exact site as I had a bad experience with one tour operator that visits the area each year. I told them how to get there and also not to get out of their vehicles as the birds get spooked. Of course they got out of their buses and a friend who had spent all night set-up in a hide to do some photographs quickly saw all his efforts dissappear into the skies!!! So you have to promise to stay in your car! (o)<

White-rumped Swift said:
Hi all

Peters due back tomorrow so these postings will probably get far more interesting. But for now, spent most of the morning in the Sierras near Ronda with a couple of birders from UK. Saw most of the regulars including the flock of 25+ Alpine Accentors, but only distantly. Lots of Griffons and a pair of Bonelli's Eagles. At the Vulture Station there were no Birds at all this visit, looks as though the food has stopped being put out, hopefully only in the short term. Whilst in the same area we saw Goshawk, a second pair of Bonelli's, and a group of 5 Common Crossbills displaying.

All the best

Thanks Mick for keeping the patch report going. Bit of a bu**** I missed the Black Vultures, still I was content to be watching Houbara's Bustards etc.!!! Had Booted Eagle over the garden this am, so hope they and other raptors are coming back.

Black Wheatear said:
Jane, Just send a PM when you know your dates and I will try to let you know what exactly is happening and where. The Lesser Kestrels are back at Zahara, but even more in Setenil, do you know this village? :scribe:

That is the one hidden down a gorge isn't it - seven nil?

Jane Turner said:
That is the one hidden down a gorge isn't it - seven nil?

You got it! Great little resturant in the gorge and very inexpensive. You can sit out and watch Pallid, Common and Alpine Swifts buzz past the table and see the LK's, Red-rumped, Barn Swallow, House and Crag Martin all at the same time!

Good day today, lots of Swallows, Black Kites moving through and a few Red-rumped Swallows. Had a fly-by of 240+ Griffon Vultures and didn't spot an adult amongst them, flying north, migration? Spectacular views of Bonnelli's Eagle mobbing a juv Golden Eagle, mentioned it before, but they really are an aggressive bird!! Good close view of Peregrine trying, without success, to take one of a pair of Chough, great day for raptors! Northern Wheatears (2) seen near Montejaque along with Black Wheatears, Blue Rock Thrushes, Alpine Accentors (38+ best count this year), several Rock Bunting and Cirl Buntings, but no sign of Ring Ouzel, first time I have not seen them at this site for the current winter period.

Very good couple of days. Managed to catch-up with a juvenile Imperial Eagle near to Cortes and also had good numbers of Black Kite. Yesterday saw very good numbers of Black Kite 50+ and 8 Short-toed Eagle, along with high numbers of Barn Swallow, some pairs already prospecting new/old nest sites. A few House Martins seen with both Common and Pallid Swift. Managed Booted Eagle and Bonelli's near to Montejaque. Blue Rock Thrush singing everywhere! Still no sign of Ring Ouzel, but could be feeding high in the Sierra. After such a good day for Alpine Accentor on Monday only managed 5!

Attachments

• culebrera-rafa-orozco.jpg
    culebrera-rafa-orozco.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 126
Black Wheatear said:
Hello Alan,
Just get in touch when you are coming over and I should be able to point you in the right direction for the feeding station. However, I am a bit wary to go public on the exact site as I had a bad experience with one tour operator that visits the area each year. I told them how to get there and also not to get out of their vehicles as the birds get spooked. Of course they got out of their buses and a friend who had spent all night set-up in a hide to do some photographs quickly saw all his efforts dissappear into the skies!!! So you have to promise to stay in your car! (o)<
Hi Peter.

Would you believe that I forgot to take your phone number with me!?

I went to Puerto de las Palomas last Sunday looking for alpine accentors, but as we arrived at about mid-day low cloud was rolling in on a strong wind and it made the area pretty bleak. I searched the area between the car park and the weather station on the eastern peak to no avail - only chough, black redstarts and a kestrel.

I went from there to Montejaque and checked out the area as well as I could, considering I was strange to it and I didn't have your number. About a kilometre from the village I had a Bonelli's eagle flying towards what I later found out was the dam. Cirl bunting further along the road on the journey back, just before a small farm on a curve. The weather was getting worse and we had a few drizzly showers by now. I walked along the road and around the corner opposite the farm I found a track that led down to the dam. 4 or so largish pipit-like birds (I couldn't identify them; slim, brown back, pale belly was all I got) flew off from the peak between me and the road, but no sign of any accentors. A Green woodpecker was near the dam.

If only I'd held back a day and gone there on Monday when the weather was better and you had your flock of accentors!

I finally caught up with alpine accentor a couple of days later on a beautiful cloudless and windless day at El Torcal, where it was T-shirt weather even at 4,000 feet - what a contrast from Sunday afternoon at Puerto de las Palomas.

On the topic of Griffons I got this shot from the road into Benarraba on Friday afternoon. These two with another 13 of their pals put on a great performance.

Attachments

• Griffon 02 copy.jpg
    Griffon 02 copy.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Jane Turner said:
Your pipit-like birds sound like Tawny Pipits to me.... they are quite flava wag-like in structure.

That was the impression I got too Jane, I got a glimpse of a similar bird at El Torcal a couple of days later, slim, erect and long legs glowing pink in the sun but it flew off just as I was about to check out its back. I didn't like to call it because I thought that late Feb, early March might be a bit early for them. They did seem to fit the bill on what I did get of them and some migrants are now coming in. I had three Iberian BH wagtails at La Janda.

(Actually, having read what I've just written I don't know what else they could have been, but they do seem early).

Alan Seaton said:
That was the impression I got too Jane, I got a glimpse of a similar bird at El Torcal a couple of days later, slim, erect and long legs glowing pink in the sun but it flew off just as I was about to check out its back. I didn't like to call it because I thought that late Feb, early March might be a bit early for them. They did seem to fit the bill on what I did get of them and some migrants are now coming in. I had three Iberian BH wagtails at La Janda.

(Actually, having read what I've just written I don't know what else they could have been, but they do seem early).

Have to say it would be 'extremely' early Alan. Still, one thing you learn in this business is never say never! Sorry we missed one another, I had a couple of free days last week and was looking forward to perhaps showing you the site for the Alpine Accentors, so many other birds at the same location, so maybe next time? You were actually very close to Eagle Owl roost near to the dam!!! Eygptian Vulture breed just around the corner and I am expecting the pair back very soon. I am off to Morocco again on Sunday and not back until 26th, so hope some kind folks will keep my patch thread going?? Ask Jane if she has id the competition photos yet??

Hope the photo helps for Tawny P. Alan, tried to pick one with what sounded like a similar view. Good photo by the way of the Griffons, great birds don't you think?

Attachments

• Tawny Pipit00.jpg
    Tawny Pipit00.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 141
Black Wheatear said:
Have to say it would be 'extremely' early Alan. Still, one thing you learn in this business is never say never! Sorry we missed one another, I had a couple of free days last week and was looking forward to perhaps showing you the site for the Alpine Accentors, so many other birds at the same location, so maybe next time? You were actually very close to Eagle Owl roost near to the dam!!! Eygptian Vulture breed just around the corner and I am expecting the pair back very soon. I am off to Morocco again on Sunday and not back until 26th, so hope some kind folks will keep my patch thread going?? Ask Jane if she has id the competition photos yet??

Hope the photo helps for Tawny P. Alan, tried to pick one with what sounded like a similar view. Good photo by the way of the Griffons, great birds don't you think?

Thanks Peter. Nice photo. I've actually seen tawny pipits before but the problem with these ones were that I just got general colour and outline. I didn't get the chance to check out the head and back markings in detail. My immediate gut respose to them was "tawny pipit" when I saw them, especially the bird that I saw sitting in profile at El Torcal, it's just that I'm put off by the dates. I booked it down as a tawmy when I first saw it, but then thought better of it when I checked the references in Garcia's book. If it wasn't for the date I wouldn't have thought twice about what they were. Have you seen any this early in the year?

I've just put up the first parts of my trip report on the vacations board by the way.

Egyptian vultures are on the way back already. I had two adults low overjead at Bolonia last Monday.

Last edited:
Alan Seaton said:
Thanks Peter. Nice photo. I've actually seen tawny pipits before but the problem with these ones were that I just got general colour and outline. I didn't get the chance to check out the head and back markings in detail. My immediate gut respose to them was "tawny pipit" when I saw them, especially the bird that I saw sitting in profile at El Torcal, it's just that I'm put off by the dates. I booked it down as a tawmy when I first saw it, but then thought better of it when I checked the references in Garcia's book. If it wasn't for the date I wouldn't have thought twice about what they were. Have you seen any this early in the year?

I've just put up the first parts of my trip report on the vacations board by the way.

Egyptian vultures are on the way back already. I had two adults low overjead at Bolonia last Monday.

Excellent, will keep my eyes peeled over next few days for my pair to arrive. The earliest record I have here for Tawny Pipit is 3rd week April!! They are among the latest back to their breeding territories, around about the same time as the 1st territorial male Rock Thrushes. You know birds though, they can always turn things on their heads and guess the unexpected is what makes our pursuit so great. I had Black Stork over Ronda today and also last Friday. Visiting Fuente de Piedra there wasn't much around, but did find some 30 odd Cranes behind an Olive grove.

Black Wheatear said:
Excellent, will keep my eyes peeled over next few days for my pair to arrive. The earliest record I have here for Tawny Pipit is 3rd week April!! They are among the latest back to their breeding territories, around about the same time as the 1st territorial male Rock Thrushes. You know birds though, they can always turn things on their heads and guess the unexpected is what makes our pursuit so great. I had Black Stork over Ronda today and also last Friday. Visiting Fuente de Piedra there wasn't much around, but did find some 30 odd Cranes behind an Olive grove.

I couldn't find any cranes at La janda, but I had three black storks on the salt-marsh at Algaida on Wednesday and a juvenile standing on its own in a field next to the main road at Laguna de Medina on Thursday (also crested coot on the laguna). I'd forgotten that I had cranes at Fuente de Piedra in February 2005. I didn't get round to going there this time.

I've looked at my records for Tawny Pipit and they've all been May or July birds, with the exception of one on Mallorca on 19th April 03 and one in the Ronda area on 21st March 04. Not conclusive because I'm only a sporadic visitor myself, but still three weeks away to my earliest. I guess I'll just have to leave these records from last week as unidentified.

Last edited:
Alan Seaton said:
I couldn't find any cranes at La janda, but I had three black storks on the salt-marsh at Algaida on Wednesday and a juvenile standing on its own in a field next to the main road at Laguna de Medina on Thursday (also crested coot on the laguna). I'd forgotten that I had cranes at Fuente de Piedra in February 2005. I didn't get round to going there this time.

I've looked at my records for Tawny Pipit and they've all been May or July birds, with the exception of one on Mallorca on 19th April 03 and one in the Ronda area on 21st March 04. Not conclusive because I'm only a sporadic visitor myself, but still three weeks away to my earliest. I guess I'll just have to leave these records from last week as unidentified.

Alan,
Just 'cause I haven't seen it this early doesn't mean you couldn't have. I was looking through other sources of trip reports and found Feb records this year in Morocco, so not far to come for your early birds! Anything is possible here and it is great to have folk like yourself coming and contributing your observations. So many are guilty of a visit and leave no trace of what they have seen, when all records are valuable for our local group. Myself and Juan Luis Munoz are preparing a 2nd edition to my book of the area, which will be much more detailed, so any records help the group, Juan and myself. Keep it coming Alan and a big thanks for the records. Had several large flocks of Short-toed Eagle, Black Kite and Pallid Swift today, also Barn Swallow are back at most of their breeding areas and 1pr near to Jimena carrying mud!! Between Jimena and Gaucin I also had Black-shouldered Kite.

Attachments

• 0Black Redstart10.jpg
    0Black Redstart10.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 125
  • DSCN5733.jpg
    DSCN5733.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 131
Black Wheatear said:
Alan,
Just 'cause I haven't seen it this early doesn't mean you couldn't have. I was looking through other sources of trip reports and found Feb records this year in Morocco, so not far to come for your early birds! Anything is possible here and it is great to have folk like yourself coming and contributing your observations. So many are guilty of a visit and leave no trace of what they have seen, when all records are valuable for our local group. Myself and Juan Luis Munoz are preparing a 2nd edition to my book of the area, which will be much more detailed, so any records help the group, Juan and myself. Keep it coming Alan and a big thanks for the records. Had several large flocks of Short-toed Eagle, Black Kite and Pallid Swift today, also Barn Swallow are back at most of their breeding areas and 1pr near to Jimena carrying mud!! Between Jimena and Gaucin I also had Black-shouldered Kite.

I've added a full species list to my trip report on the Vacations board today Peter. It contains a bit more detail on the sightings of each species.

By the way (this may be old news to you, being local), when I was at the Black Wheatear cliff on the Cartajima road a couple of years back I was taken by surprise by a white-rumped swift that almost took my head off as it came down the gully and swept low over my car while I was looking around. It went straight on south and I took it for a migrating bird (this was 26 Sept 2004), but when I returned to the same place a week later on 4th October I was busy recounting the experience to a couple from Watford who'd stopped their car for a chat and I looked up to see a single swift feeding overhead, I said "There's another swift now" and put the bins on it. It was another white-rumped swift!

That made me think that perhaps the first bird that shot off south wasn't alone and that there may be a colony in that area close-by.

Lovely shot of the Black-shouldered kite by the way.

Several new year ticks today! Visited the Montejaque area and first appearance for the year was Alpine Swift (2) with Pallid and Common Swift. Lesser Kestrels were hawking insects together with several Crag Martins. Not sure who was playing with whom, but over 20 Choughs seemed to have fun with a Peregrine! For over 4 hours there was a steady fly-by of Short-toed Eagle (70+), Black Kite (120+) and the odd Booted Eagle (11). Had some terrific views of Hawfinch as 4 individuals parked on Broom bushes just a few yards from where I had set myself up! Watching a small flock of Swallow and House Martin I had the bonus of seeing a Merlin make an abortive attempt at snatching a Swallow! Wandering down below the Dam area I had 5 Short-toed Lark, a first for me in this area (Alan, they appeared very white breasted and sleek from a distance?). On the gorse in the valley I had my first Woodchat Shrike for the year and also I heard Nightingale. In between times, I was kept amused by the rivalry between several territorial Blue Rock Thrushes and Black Wheatears. Also had good numbers of Blackcap and Song Thrush. A good day at the office!

Its all gone quiet over there. Just booked myself and the kids into Hostal Casa de las Piedras (Grazalema) from next Wed (4th April) for a week. Any news?

Jane Turner said:
Its all gone quiet over there. Just booked myself and the kids into Hostal Casa de las Piedras (Grazalema) from next Wed (4th April) for a week. Any news?

I don't know if you are aware of it Jane, but there have been no less than five lesser flamingos in the flamingo flock at Fuente de Piedra and two of them are actually nesting. Rarebirdspain is getting quite excited about it. Unfortunately I didn't visit the laguna this time, even though I was only a few miles away at Antequera and the thought of a visit passed through my mind.

I was kicking myself when I got back and found out about them.

http://www.rarebirdspain.net/arbsr000.htm

Thanks for that. Just in case I go the other way, does anyone know the best route onto La Janda just now. My favourite way used to be straight across from the junction from Zahara de las Atunes. I drove past it last year and it looked like visitors are unwelcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back