• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (31 Viewers)

Steve at 'lifestyles' is much cheaper I will see him later, how many do you want and what sizes.:t:

Well, I've put twenty up across the reserve in the last three years (albeit some were open fronted boxes). You put some up recently during the Tuesday work parties.
Twenty? With 50:50 between 25 and 28mm? Although, as I said earlier, I think we can use 28mm all 'round as neither a GSW nor a Grey Squirrel will get through a 28mm hole (I don't think). Although, maybe it's only a matter of getting their heads in far enough...

Last edited:
Hi All,
As a new member I just wanted to say thanks to all you regular contributors for an amazing website and your total commitment.I am learning a lot just by logging in.
Cheers Barrie

Well, I've put twenty up across the reserve in the last three years (albeit some were open fronted boxes). You put some up recently during the Tuesday work parties.
Twenty? With 50:50 between 25 and 28mm? Although, as I said earlier, I think we can use 28mm all 'round as neither a GSW nor a Grey Squirrel will get through a 28mm hole (I don't think). Although, maybe it's only a matter of getting their heads in far enough...

Probably not but a Rat would get in completely.:eek!:
Mind you they will get in a 25mm as well..... :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:
Keith :t:

Yes Keith, but our other Pied guest takes care of them! B :) You know, the bloke from the town whose name (in English) sounds like a famous series of Bird Guides!

Last edited:
You know what Dave, I reckon we should have a thread in the Worcestershire County Section with UW forum regulars' Year Lists and UW forum regular's Patch Life Lists.

Last edited:
You'd obviously top the Year List, with Upstarts @ No1 on the life patch list, wheatearlp second, Brian third, Phil and DJ equal fourth, you'd come in about sixth or seventh on that list too. Even Gert and Timmy would be top ten!

You'd obviously top the Year List, with Upstarts @ No1 on the life patch list, wheatearlp second, Brian third, Phil and DJ equal fourth, you'd come in about sixth or seventh on that list too. Even Gert and Timmy would be top ten!

Wheatearlp probably knows the list situation better than most - he's near the top spot himself IIRC. Steve Whitehouse is up near the top. Arthur Jacobs was up there too and people like Andy Warr, Terry Hinet, Roger Hill Richard Harbird, Des, Stu Croft etc. I doubt I'm in the top 10 for UW life list. There's a lot of history of keen birders at Upton that many of the newer enthusiasts might not be aware of.

Hows Cettis getting on lads? I understand the hard weather had an effect?

They have more than a toe hold now in Derbyshire (especially Trent Valley, around Derby and even up North at Carr Vale) despite the weather, so we hope they spread a little further this year.

Wheatearlp probably knows the list situation better than most - he's near the top spot himself IIRC. Steve Whitehouse is up near the top. Arthur Jacobs was up there too and people like Andy Warr, Terry Hinet, Roger Hill Richard Harbird, Des, Stu Croft etc. I doubt I'm in the top 10 for UW life list. There's a lot of history of keen birders at Upton that many of the newer enthusiasts might not be aware of.

Brian's Site has an accurate list but I was thinking about a Forum Members/Regulars representation.
Local Patch List is the second one here: http://www.worcesterbirding.co.uk/worcestershire_life_lists_51.html

Hows Cettis getting on lads? I understand the hard weather had an effect?

They have more than a toe hold now in Derbyshire (especially Trent Valley, around Derby and even up North at Carr Vale) despite the weather, so we hope they spread a little further this year.

Daniel after a practically blank year last year this Spring has seen the return of a few calling and singing birds. Comments have been made alluding to their relative openness but I think this has more to do with the late leaf development on the trees/plants due to the recent cold weather. Hopefully they'll increase their numbers steadily over the course of time.

The 2011 year list ranking can be seen here.

Happy to add a page for 2013 if there is interest and anyone can add their life lists to the table. Just email through the Worcester Birding website with name and totals.

I doubt I'm in the top twenty for Upton Warren, let alone the top ten. But at Grimley, well that is another matter, it's a very exclusive club :t:

Brian

The frequency of news updates from Upton over the past 48 hours has been remarkable and has at times been difficult to keep up with, but todays sightings (up to 3pm) via Birding Today are as follows:

Sanderling at the Moors Pool this morning, plus 2 Whimbrel through, Greenshank through, 6 Dunlin through, Ringed Plover, Whinchat in reeds on west side, Yellow Wagtail over, and Grasshopper Warbler still at North Moors but no sign of any Pied Flycatchers in a brief search (Dave Jackson). Also Arctic Tern on sailing pool early afternoon (Dave Jackson) and then at the Moors Pool mid-afternoon (Paul Rhodes), plus Sanderling at the Flashes mid-morning and still present mid-afternoon, Arctic Tern, Whimbrel, 5 Black-tailed Godwits, 25 Avocets, 2 Ringed Plover, 3 Dunlin and Green Sandpiper (Adrian Kirton & Terry Hinett).

Brian

The frequency of news updates from Upton over the past 48 hours has been remarkable and has at times been difficult to keep up with, but todays sightings (up to 3pm) via Birding Today are as follows:

Sanderling at the Moors Pool this morning, plus 2 Whimbrel through, Greenshank through, 6 Dunlin through, Ringed Plover, Whinchat in reeds on west side, Yellow Wagtail over, and Grasshopper Warbler still at North Moors but no sign of any Pied Flycatchers in a brief search (Dave Jackson). Also Arctic Tern on sailing pool early afternoon (Dave Jackson) and then at the Moors Pool mid-afternoon (Paul Rhodes), plus Sanderling at the Flashes mid-morning and still present mid-afternoon, Arctic Tern, Whimbrel, 5 Black-tailed Godwits, 25 Avocets, 2 Ringed Plover, 3 Dunlin and Green Sandpiper (Adrian Kirton & Terry Hinett).

Brian

Blimey! We should do the all dayer this Saturday!!

Brian's Site has an accurate list but I was thinking about a Forum Members/Regulars representation.
Local Patch List is the second one here: http://www.worcesterbirding.co.uk/worcestershire_life_lists_51.html

That list is out of date now - for instance, my own UW list is at least 193 (can't remember exact figure off the top of my head). My own fault for not resubmitting it though.

Also, it's evident that many of the big-hitters won't have submitted theirs.

It's only numbers at the end of the day. 8-P

Brian
1 ot 2 Sanderling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back