• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sub forums within the Id forum (1 Viewer)

Hi Folks - I'll just chip back in here (not on the Nationalistic argument - I'll leave that one to those who care about those things ;) ) - but on the issue of Country of Origin flags - Y'see, I wouldn't have a clue about most country' flags either - That's why those clever folks at BIRDFORUM have given us this splendid device:- ROLL YOUR CURSER OVER THE FLAG WHICH THEN BRINGS UP A NAME FOR THE COUNTRY WHOSE FLAG IS DISPLAYED.
- Simples,Peeps!

Thanks Tim for a helpful response to my comment.

Best,
Jim

I was going to write something like this, only not as succinct.

How about a split into:

"I've scoured every id book I own, searched the net and still don't know what it is" forum

and a

"I spent thousands on a camera but didn't bother to buy a book" forum!

Hi Folks - I'll just chip back in here (not on the Nationalistic argument - I'll leave that one to those who care about those things ;) ) - but on the issue of Country of Origin flags - Y'see, I wouldn't have a clue about most country' flags either - That's why those clever folks at BIRDFORUM have given us this splendid device:- ROLL YOUR CURSER OVER THE FLAG WHICH THEN BRINGS UP A NAME FOR THE COUNTRY WHOSE FLAG IS DISPLAYED.
- Simples,Peeps!

Well that naughty fugl ain't got no flag - where the hell is nevada anyway?? ;):-O

I was going to write something like this, only not as succinct.

How about a split into:

"I've scoured every id book I own, searched the net and still don't know what it is" forum

and a

"I spent thousands on a camera but didn't bother to buy a book" forum!

I'm with Mícheál on this ... would be the most useful sort of split. (Doesn't Surfbirds already do something like this?)

PeteR C.

Texas and California used to be separate countries, like Scotland. And the 13 original colonies were only very loosely joined until the constitution replaced the articles of confederation in 1787.

Best,
Jim

Whats your country of origin Jim? I only know the flags of the main countries in the world :smoke:

Only jokin buddy .

But I am surprised you didnt know Bolton was in Scotland.

Last edited:
As an aside, I think having US state flags offered would be awesome! I love learning worldwide flags and the more specific UK flags - all you have to do is mouseover the flag itself and it displays the name - I do it all the time.

But I am surprised you didnt know Bolton was in Scotland.

Where did I say that? Just because a city is in a certain area doesn't mean that the flag represents that specific area, because a specific city is in many different areas (city, county, province, country, continent, hemisphere, planet, solar system, galaxy, universe) and a flag can represent many different things (some even represent an ideology or people or now-defunct historical entity, rather than an area). I just discovered many here use a flag of "Europe", for example. (Changed my own flag to prove the point).

As an aside, I think having US state flags offered would be awesome! I love learning worldwide flags and the more specific UK flags - all you have to do is mouseover the flag itself and it displays the name - I do it all the time.

If you want to learn state flags, here they are: http://www.netstate.com/state_flags.htm Staring at that page doesn't get me too excited, but I guess I'm getting old and jaded.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
I posters stuck to the request for location in the thread header it would be a start.

Twite.

ps. What about a sub-forum for manky mallards.

I'm with this - four subfora...

Manky Mallards
Marsh/willow tits
Chiffchaff/willow warblers
Everything else

;)

I know it's not true in every case, but a quick glance at the Poster's country of origin flag usually gives a pretty good idea of what geographical location the querie is likely to concern.
Yes, it's not true in every case since many people post photos from their trips abroad but they usually add the information about the location where photos were taken. Personally I have most problems in situations when the user who creates a new id thread has no flag by the nick and in place of country I can see only a name of some town or area I have no idea about (I've already mentioned my laziness ;)).
I agree that location in title is very helpful and it should be obligatory.

I'm with this - four subfora...

Manky Mallards
Marsh/willow tits
Chiffchaff/willow warblers
Everything else

;)
That's a really great idea :-O ^^

Last edited:
Oops--thought it was around Roswell, NM (with all the space aliens). But I'm just a guy from Maryland; I'm ignorant of everything outside my home state, though I expect everyone around the world to know everything about Maryland.;)

Cheers,
Jim

And at one point you were just a guy from Massachusetts ...
|=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back