• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I need to identify these birds Thanks (1 Viewer)

kyrani99

I am using the sounds of these birds, which frequent the trees on my property, for their various sounds in my videos and I want to give them special mention at the end of my videos. I would like to be able to say what they are. Here are the first 5.
Thanks
Kyrani

Attachments

• bird1.jpg
    bird1.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 111
  • bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 68
  • bird3.jpg
    bird3.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 72
  • bird4  black bird.jpg
    bird4 black bird.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 53
  • bird 5 young bird brown.jpg
    bird 5 young bird brown.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 73
1 looks like a young Helmeted Friarbird to me.
5 is a Little Shrike Thrush.

The latter rarely occurs in Cairns, so I'm guessing you're up the hill a bit?

Thanks for IDs and here is some more birds

Thanks avesjohn and chowchilla.
Yes I am up in the hills, about 80m I think from sea level. I have built my house in amongst the trees so I get to see a lot of wildlife everyday.

I have some more pictures.

Attachments

• bird 6.jpg
    bird 6.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 61
  • bird 7.jpg
    bird 7.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 48
  • bird 13.JPG
    bird 13.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 51
More birds1

Are the first two also friarbirds?

Thanks
Kyrani

Attachments

• bird 14.jpg
    bird 14.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 29
  • bird 15.jpg
    bird 15.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 32
  • bird 9.png
    bird 9.png
    255.6 KB · Views: 49
  • bird 10.png
    bird 10.png
    216 KB · Views: 46
  • bird 11.png
    bird 11.png
    263.5 KB · Views: 45
Are you still getting Pied Imperial Pigeons around your place? Most of them must have cleared out by now.

The two pictures of the pigeons (I had thought them doves) are old. The two birds in the tree is Nov. 2006 and the one close up is Dec. 2007. I had seen them in the years after that but I haven't seen them in the recent years. I just thought that they were still in the area. Do you mean they leave seasonally? Where do they go?
Kyrani

One more bird and I think that is all the birds that I need to identify, thanks.

Attachments

• bird 12.png
    bird 12.png
    161.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
The Pied Imperials go to PNG and Indonesia.

The new pics:
1 and 2) Helmeted Friarbirds.
3) Grey Goshawk.
4) Spice Finch/Nutmeg Mannikin.
5) Metallic Starlings.
6) Metallic Starling adult.

Thank you for your help identifying the birds.
With the Pied Pigeons are they here every year around Nov Dec Jan and then migrate?

I would also like to ask the birds I sometimes hear ooooooing are they some type of owl?

Last edited:
Thank you for your help identifying the birds.
With the Pied Pigeons are they here every year around Nov Dec Jan and then migrate?

I would also like to ask the birds I sometimes hear ooooooing are they some type of owl?

Pied Imperials have a long drawn out 'oooo' call; if it's during the day, it's probably them. It doesn't sound like the call of any Aussie owl to me.

Yes they visit in Summer. The recent cyclones have smashed their traditional nesting sites on offshore mangrove islands to buggery, so they are mostly nesting on the mainland now.

I don't know if they also nest in the hills now, so if you spot any PIP nests around your place that would confirm it. A few do overwinter; I see the odd one or two in the winter months.

thanks for your information

Pied Imperials have a long drawn out 'oooo' call; if it's during the day, it's probably them. It doesn't sound like the call of any Aussie owl to me.

Yes they visit in Summer. The recent cyclones have smashed their traditional nesting sites on offshore mangrove islands to buggery, so they are mostly nesting on the mainland now.

I don't know if they also nest in the hills now, so if you spot any PIP nests around your place that would confirm it. A few do overwinter; I see the odd one or two in the winter months.

Yes the sound is a long drawn out oooooing call and it suits some areas of my video where I am making a point that is significant. And it is during the day, but I have heard it in the late afternoon. I don't know if there are owls around my place (Whitfield hills) but I just associated the sound with owls.

You may be right that they are not nesting in the hills because of the cyclone damage some years ago. I hope I'll see them again because they were magnificent. The oooooing sound I recorded from the bird calls at dawn and in the daytime is recent in the last few to six months so they must be still around.

Thanks again for all your help.

some birds songs which birds are they?

I have some audio of some of the dawn chorus last summer and I am wondering what birds these are.
At the end of the audio file there is the oooooing sounds but you have to turn up the volume to hear it above the other birds. Is that the Pied Imperial Pigeons?
Thanks.

Attachments

• 150427_006 for bird id2_1.MP3
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
My apologies for not replying sooner:

The most prominent melodic call is a Black Butcherbird, with at least one bird replying; there's Spangled Drongo in there with their harsh buzzing call; Helmeted Friarbird is chipped in now and then with a loud nasal 'quack'; Olive-backed Sunbird is calling with its 'chip-chewee' call and various high-pitched trills; and finally, a Superb Fruit Dove starts calling towards the end.

I can't be entirely sure if there are fainter calls in the background or whether it's just the Sunbirds, but those are the main ones anyway.:t:

EDIT: forgot to mention that the soft 'tup tup tup' call is a Gecko.

Thank you very much for your identifications.
I did not know most of them and you have confirmed the ones I thought I knew. I had not known the first calls were the butcher birds. Some of the calls that they have made when they come early in the morning and wake me up for some chicken are in the attached file below.

The first call is the one that I have seen them make and the second one I assume is their call too because I have seen them in the trees when I heard it.
Thanks Kyrani

Attachments

• butcher bird calls.MP3
    329.7 KB · Views: 33
Yes that harsher call is also Black Butcherbird; often heard at dawn and dusk.

There is also a call that sounds like a slow Yellow Oriole, often fooling people into believing it's that species. Apart from the Friarbirds, that call is often the first I hear in the morning- unless the Kookaburras strike up; they don't always. Black Butcherbirds have a huge repertoire; Xenocanto barely manages to cover a small percentage.

Thanks again.

I have also heard the harsher call of the black butcher birds in the daytime when they have complained. Sometimes the kookaburras get to the chicken first and the butcher birds protest with this call. They won't tackle the kookaburras, they usually wait until the kookaburras have eaten what meat they want and fly away. The first day that this happened a butcher bird flew down and more or less brushed past the kookaburras making a big protest but the kookaburras didn't get bothered at all. They just laughed.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back