• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recent sketches (1 Viewer)

Love the recent work Russ, seems like something new in your style is coming on...how about a spot of color in them, even if just in the background ;)

Cor! What fab birds and fab sketches. The upside down sand plover's an absolute joy and the ibises too! You have a real talent for capturing the solidity of a bird giving weight to its reality rather than simple outlines.

Mike

Cheers, Phil, Liam, Tim and User, your comments are most humbling! Seriously, I've been trying a more looser, sketchier style ( Mr Derry to blame for this!) The limited time I had to get stuff down whilst away may have actually helped. It certainly has with some passerines I managed. No time to fart around!
Another wader with X factor appeal is Little Whimbrel - occasionally seen passing over at height, but hardly ever down close on the deck. This bird performed amazingly well on the Jinshan Field (hallowed ground, this, with historic imperial connections, so drive a JCB on here and it's the firing squad!)
I had difficulty concentrating on this, such was the magntude of the occasion!

More to come

Ps - Mark was in rude health, mate. No worries.

Russ

LOL ;)

Nailed that one Russ! Here to compare these exquisite sketches with the bird in question..... Lovely!

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/video/little...ittle-curlew-adult-bird-feeding-stubble-field

Thanks for the comments, guys.
Well, after feasting your eyes on that video, perhaps it's time for more wooden waders - only joking! You're right Colleen, I'm trying to adopt a more quicker, looser and simpler style which, unless you have a photographic memory, (I thought I had at one point, but not now) seems the way to go. Yes, Phil's (and Lar's) adage of 'putting down what you see, not what you know' will now be my mantra.
Before the hard stuff comes, here's Far -Eastern Curlew ( the bill's that long, honestly) and Great Knots (what shapes!). Also stonking adult summer Saunder's Gull. The Colonel of KFC puts his name to what has become one of the world's rarest gulls. A bird that would warrant atrip here on its own.

Cheers

More to come

Russ

Ps - when's someone gonna sit me down, put a bib around my neck and say brush in right, water over there and paint here?

Attachments

• FE curlew.jpg
    FE curlew.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Great knot 1.jpg
    Great knot 1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 49
  • Great Knot 2.jpg
    Great Knot 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Saunders Gull.jpg
    Saunders Gull.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 53
I always told "amazing lies" to my kids to get them to check everything. Now they are grown and stuff? I regret it. Because they catch me out all the time with their revenge.
Well, who can blame them? And, I FALL for it EVERY time! ;)
I just wanted them to NEVER TRUST ANYTHING ON FACE VALUE.
But to check it all out for themselves. Understand it on all levels, and know it was safe to take it on board. As truth.

This is why I love your stuff Russ!

You draw what you see.

GoldDust!

It really IS the closest thing to Lars I have. And I love his work so much.

What does that say about what you do?

The colour can wait.

If you're ever down this way. I'll show you how to get over your reticence very quickly.

Just remember the photocopy idea?

Spoil as many as you like!

But, If you are not confident enough to do this yet?

Hang fire!

Nobody should force your hand!

When you are ready, you will be ready!

These wonders are enough for us all!

Best regards!

phil :t:

Thanks for the comments, guys.
Well, after feasting your eyes on that video, perhaps it's time for more wooden waders - only joking! You're right Colleen, I'm trying to adopt a more quicker, looser and simpler style which, unless you have a photographic memory, (I thought I had at one point, but not now) seems the way to go. Yes, Phil's (and Lar's) adage of 'putting down what you see, not what you know' will now be my mantra.
Before the hard stuff comes, here's Far -Eastern Curlew ( the bill's that long, honestly) and Great Knots (what shapes!). Also stonking adult summer Saunder's Gull. The Colonel of KFC puts his name to what has become one of the world's rarest gulls. A bird that would warrant atrip here on its own.

Cheers

More to come

Russ

Ps - when's someone gonna sit me down, put a bib around my neck and say brush in right, water over there and paint here?

Hi Russ

When I saw these sketches I had an extraordinary sense of deja vu! They reminded me so much of sketches I made 25 years ago that I had to go dig them up and stick them alongside yours - not for comparison - but to show you how amazingly similar they are!

Thanks for bringing back great memories of Beidaihe in 1985!

Dave

Attachments

• curlews.jpg
    curlews.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 65
  • G Knot.jpg
    G Knot.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Saunders' Gull.jpg
    Saunders' Gull.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 61
Beidaihe 1985 - astonishing!
Well Dave, as you know things have changed somewhat out there. Part of it's unrecognizeable from when I first went in 2005, from what I hear it's totally transformed from 1995, so in '85 it must have been like another planet!
Now I know you're behind Dig Deep ( how apt, considering the chinese fixation with digging holes!) perhaps you'd care to check out a few wader sketches from Thailand in Jan, they'e on another thread. Anyway, I love the annotated paintings.
Thanks again for your inspirational comments, guys. Phil, If you're really comparing me to LJ then I've no complaints! Some more especially for you, sir!

Shrikes are my fave passerines 'cos they do sit about a bit. Here's Brown (very common migrant) sketched on Happy Island, followed by a stuning male Tiger Shrike. I see a bit of Lars in these...ah, ah I wish!

More to come

Russ

Attachments

• Brwn shk 1.jpg
    Brwn shk 1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Brwn shk 2.jpg
    Brwn shk 2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 73
  • Brwn shk 3.jpg
    Brwn shk 3.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 58
Male Tiger Shrike, found among huge influx of Brown Shrikes, and taking refuge in the Friendship Hotel from.......Sibe Thrushes!
Oriental scops in the aptly named Magic Wood darn sarth.

More to come

cheers

Russ

Attachments

• Tiger 1.jpg
    Tiger 1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Tiger 2.jpg
    Tiger 2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 57
  • scops.jpg
    scops.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 62
My scanner is slowly on the way out. It's making a noise like the teleporters on 'The Fly'. A quick death from my study window it is sadly facing!

Russ

Russ,

Visceral! Full bodied representations!

I probably will never see these birds.

But, through you, I understand them.

In that way way you have impacted their joy on us all.

Thank you for doing that!

PS New scanner time!!!

Last edited:
Beidaihe 1985 - astonishing!
Well Dave, as you know things have changed somewhat out there. Part of it's unrecognizeable from when I first went in 2005, from what I hear it's totally transformed from 1995, so in '85 it must have been like another planet!
Now I know you're behind Dig Deep ( how apt, considering the chinese fixation with digging holes!) perhaps you'd care to check out a few wader sketches from Thailand in Jan, they'e on another thread. Anyway, I love the annotated paintings.
Thanks again for your inspirational comments, guys. Phil, If you're really comparing me to LJ then I've no complaints! Some more especially for you, sir!

Shrikes are my fave passerines 'cos they do sit about a bit. Here's Brown (very common migrant) sketched on Happy Island, followed by a stuning male Tiger Shrike. I see a bit of Lars in these...ah, ah I wish!

More to come

Russ

Hi Russ

I've been keeping a regular 'check' on your evocative sketches - like many I suspect - I'm a bit of a lurker on this forum - oft inspired but seldom contributing!

As for Beidaihe - it's one of a growing list of venues that I'm afraid to revisit - prefer to remember them the way they were! More from memory lane - Beidaihe 1985 - here!

So they're still digging eh? Wonder if they've found what they're looking for yet?!!

Cheers

Dave

As for Beidaihe - it's one of a growing list of venues that I'm afraid to revisit - prefer to remember them the way they were! More from memory lane - Beidaihe 1985 - here!

You should be rightly proud of your work as one of the original 'commitment's', wish I'd seen it then ;) but both Russ and I will understand the above. I see Martin every now and again, the changes are perhaps beyond comprehension!

So they're still digging eh? Wonder if they've found what they're looking for yet?!!

LOL, not as far as we're aware ehh Russ?

Some evocative sketching once again Russ, but how often did I say 'wanna borrow a brush" ;)

Each to their own, a great style developing!

Last edited:
Chats, chats, chats rather than chavs ( this was China, not Barnsley ). A selection quickly sketched when the oppo presented itself, some lager than life, literally - quick sweeping strokes with one eye in the scope quickly joining the other on the pad (or something like that), so very unfussy, which seems to work! A detailed approach this is not!

Bluethroat in the middle of Beijing

Red-flanked Bluetail in the Friendship Hotel

Singing Daurian Redstart at Zu Shan - if time would have allowed I'd have tried the open-bill bit. I have to admit such a bird does need colour - a criminal representation, really, particularly with stunning blue sky behind. It'a all good fun.

More to come

Russ

Attachments

• Bluethroat.jpg
    Bluethroat.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Bluetail 3.jpg
    Bluetail 3.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Redstart 1.jpg
    Redstart 1.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Redstart 2.jpg
    Redstart 2.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 47
I've just fallen in love with a Bluetail!

Was I the only one to notice you've started using colour????!!!!! :eek!:

I had 147 PMs suggesting we call you "Smudger..." ;)

Blimey Russ! These are so brilliant! The RFB is so endearing and alive! (That's the one I'm drawn to because of its lovely eyes!) But the rest are textbook examples of "sketchbook wonderment!" :t:

I think the Chinese want to teach you something about adding colour! :cat:

In the meantime, I'll be focusing on that little BLUE tail! B :)

You've got great talent! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back