• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

bushnell any good? (1 Viewer)

Bushtuck

Does anyone have any opinion on Bushnell bins, particularly the trophy 8x42 or the nature view roof prism 8x42 or the H2O 8x42 models

I am not a super serious twitcher and my budget is not huge. I need them for travelling and general bird and nature watching.

cheers

Bushtuck said:
Does anyone have any opinion on Bushnell bins, particularly the trophy 8x42 or the nature view roof prism 8x42 or the H2O 8x42 models

I am not a super serious twitcher and my budget is not huge. I need them for travelling and general bird and nature watching.

cheers

Hi,

I've briefly tried the Bushnell H20 8x25's and own a pair of Trophy 8x25's - I don't know how these compare to the full size models but I can give you views on the compacts. Both gave a good sharp image with minimal distortion and no obvious CA under normal viewing. I didn't test them together but the Trophy's appear to give a slightly brighter view. Overall build quality and handling are good. I'm very happy with the 8x25 Trophy's as an occasional use waterproof compact - to be honest considering the Trophy's supposedly retailed at almost twice what the H20's retailed at the Trophy's aren't that significantly better, but in a compact a little extra brightness doesn't go amiss.

If the full size bins follow the same quality/price ratio as the compacts then they're probably a good value budget bin. If you don't mind a lack of true waterproofing you might also want to consider the Nikon Sporter - whilst comparing an 8x25 compact with a 10x36 is hardly fair I'd say the Sporter gives a slightly better image in terms of brightness and clarity. The 8x36 Sporters generally get good reviews on here.

Regards Richard

Bushtuck,
Steve Ingraham, apparently favors the “Nature View” somewhat, as he mentioned it in one of his articles at BVD. I have been trying to find the article, to no avail. As I remember, he was writing about those costly birding bins, when he mentioned the great value of “Nature Views.”
I feel that Bushnell has some of the best values out there. At least in the USA.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back