• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

After much deliberation, Nikon EDG 8x32 (1 Viewer)

As addressed to Dennis......
Surely there are areas where the EDG performs better than the SV but you choose not to mention them or ignore them and only state what the SV can do better which may be purely subjective or just personal taste. ..........

Cheers

Here are three areas where I found the EDG-II 8X32 preforms better than the SV 8X32:

- Better handling of stray light. This was noticed in a side by side of both. However it was indoors so the issue may be less notifable outside with the light coming from only one source.
- Significantly better focus mechanism.
- Less rolling ball tendency.

These items come down to personal preferences and priorities. A good focus mechanism is high on my list of priorities, but not so much for others. Dennis appears to like the small petite feel of the SV whereas the EDG feel works better for me. It has excellent pointability making for quick subject acquisition.

Regarding the slight metal finish issue Bruce, ................these things are just so nice to use and the view just too good so I'll put it down as a non issue........

While watching some intriguing behaviour of an Australian raven yesterday afternoon I marvelled at the interaction with this pair of binoculars. That incredible focus mechanism that is perfectly damped with excellent mechanical feel and feedback that just snaps images into razor sharp view with no fuss.

Cheers

It is good to hear that the blem is much less than I originally thought. I can see not wanting to send them in since there is always the risk where one issue is resolved but another pops up.

It sounds like these are working out well for you and it is great to read that you enjoy using your new EDG!

Hi Bob and Bruce,

Thank you for bringing this thread back on track, it looked like it was starting to go a bit pear shaped. This thread was never intended to be a mine's better than yours topic.
I don't need validation by scouring the internet for quotes or reviews to give me assurance that I got the best bins, I'm happy to read any information be it positive or negative as long the intention is constructive. At the end of the day what the user is happy with matters most.
Regarding internet reviews, Allbinos just gave the 8x32 a glowing one and I tend to agree with their findings. I'm also sure that when they get to the SV it will surely be positive also.
If we focus on reviews I recently read one declaring that the 8x32 SV doesn't stack up next to the 8.5x42 and that the latter is far superior, the site was called the Greatestbinoculars or something similar? I'm unaware of the reviewer's credentials but that is the opinion he gave. While it wouldn't sway me from buying a pair if I was interested in them I just thought it was an interesting point to add in relation to internet review quotes.
Perhaps I'm stirring the pot a little now so I won't revisit that topic going forward.
On the topic of glare control I can say that the 8x32 EDG handle glare exceptionality well for a small pair of binoculars.
Thanks Bruce, yes they're working out very well.

Last edited:
What is the divot in the finish that Nikon EDG's seem to have? At first I thought my pair had a manufacturing defect, but now I notice that most (every?) pairs have it.

Last edited:
Ads .... Now I understand! That "divot" is an indented white mark used as a reference point for the diopter adjustment. It is not bare metal. I will see about taking a follow up photo with the focus knob pulled back and exposing the diopter wheel.

Edit: Photo added with the focus knob pull rearward, and showing the diopter wheel with a setting on the + side. Once the diopter is set, then the focus knob is pushed forward (as shown in the earlier post) so the diopter wheel is protected from being moved and the focus mechanism gearing is re-engaged.

Attachments

• Nikon EDG-B Resized.jpg
    Nikon EDG-B Resized.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
Ads .... Now I understand! That "divot" is a white mark used as a reference point for the diopter adjustment.

Oh, really? I never would have guessed. haha Is it painted white? On the pair I had, it was a round indentation, and it wasn't painted so I thought it was a manufacturing defect. Then I noticed it in some photos of other EDG's. If there is supposed to be white paint there, then mine probably did have a manufacturing defect.

Last edited:
As you mentioned, there is an indentation, but they all look to me as though there is white paint, matching the numbers, that highlight the indentation. All the EDG models I have seen look this way.

Hi Bob,

I believe that model is called the HG L here? Anyway, it looks like a great option which I had previously considered. The funny thing is that the few places that still have stock here want $2100 for them which is very close the approx. $2300 price tag of the German/Austrian models I was considering, not that the HG L wouldn't hold it's own.
I didn't want to import a pair as by the time I paid the conversion rate and tax I'd be saving little to nothing for one thing.
When I discovered the EDG (current model) for $1999 (AUD) from a local Nikon run internet store there was nothing more to debate in my mind.
Looking forward to the EDG's arrival.

Cheers

I use the HG L 8 x 42 (Premier in the US) and can recommend them highly. The only drawback I have found is that in low light and close to still water they can occasionally have slight colour distortion amd give a faint greenish hue - beyond that they are superb :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back