• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rec,d my 8x42 HTs today (1 Viewer)

Suppressor
Yes I've seen the pics last year of a faint browness on an SFs armour but several months of use including sweat, dirt, seaweed and goose-poo has failed to leave any marks at all on my SF, or any SF I have seen.

Can't answer for those green FLs though, I don't like to go too close to them. That nauseous green colour might be contagious.

Meanwhile I'll let you get back to your Armour-All. I put that on my car tyres but what you put it on in the privacy of your home is between you and your conscience.

Lee

Ha! will do.
Have a look at the picture you posted of the 6x42 dialyt you can see how the rubber objective caps have discoloured the binocular armour. I agree that it could be seen as adding character just depends how fussy one is!
I clean my bike after every ride and I ride most days so its no wonder I like things to stay looking like new,of course it is doomed to failure in the long run.

Steve at South west optics has a mint 10x42 sf for £1,599 if anyone is interested.
I have owned one too,very nice,but,could not live with the colour.
suppressor.

Ha! will do.
Have a look at the picture you posted of the 6x42 dialyt you can see how the rubber objective caps have discoloured the binocular armour. I agree that it could be seen as adding character just depends how fussy one is!
I clean my bike after every ride and I ride most days so its no wonder I like things to stay looking like new,of course it is doomed to failure in the long run.

Steve at South west optics has a mint 10x42 sf for £1,599 if anyone is interested.
I have owned one too,very nice,but,could not live with the colour.
suppressor.

Wow Suppo, that is fussy. You sound like my bro-in-law who can't stand anything looking anything other than unused. If its raining his bins stay inside his jacket and his camera stays at home. His car looks immaculate whereas ours looks like its done 12,000 miles in France and 25,000 miles in Scotland: which it has!! :-O

Wouldn't it be boring if we were all alike?

Lee

Wow Suppo, that is fussy. You sound like my bro-in-law who can't stand anything looking anything other than unused. If its raining his bins stay inside his jacket and his camera stays at home. His car looks immaculate whereas ours looks like its done 12,000 miles in France and 25,000 miles in Scotland: which it has!! :-O

Wouldn't it be boring if we were all alike?

Lee

A man after my own heart.

Getting back to binoculars Zeiss have really done a lot of work this past few years I wonder how much of the birding market they have regained?
suppressor

The colour of SFs may still seem a little unusual to some folks but checkout the Zeiss Dialyt below.

SF-grey has an honourable precedent in the Zeiss heritage.

Lee

Lee:

Here is another Zeiss that was available in more than one color
the other was a green 2-tone.

The 10x56 Design Selection.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN0690.JPG
    DSCN0690.JPG
    320.6 KB · Views: 80
Lee:

Here is another Zeiss that was available in more than one color
the other was a green 2-tone.

The 10x56 Design Selection.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Thanks for that one. I've never seen one of these beasts but would like to. The focus wheel looks a bit too small in diameter to give good control though, especially in the cold and wet.
BTW I see your pic has a yellow-green cast which has been very popular on BF recently :-O
Of the Design Selection family I have always had an irrational attraction to the 7x45, see below.

Thanks again, Lee

Attachments

• NO 7x45B F.jpg
    NO 7x45B F.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 71
Hi Jerry

Thanks for that one. I've never seen one of these beasts but would like to. The focus wheel looks a bit too small in diameter to give good control though, especially in the cold and wet.
BTW I see your pic has a yellow-green cast which has been very popular on BF recently :-O
Of the Design Selection family I have always had an irrational attraction to the 7x45, see below.

Thanks again, Lee

Just recently one of these was sold in the bay for just under 600 Euros.

Is anyone here who has or had the opportunity to compare the 7x42 BGATP with the 7x45?

Just recently one of these was sold in the bay for just under 600 Euros.

Is anyone here who has or had the opportunity to compare the 7x42 BGATP with the 7x45?

The 7x45 is HEAVY. Too heavy for what it does. Optically, well, it's good. Not sure it's that much better than the 7x42, especially the last versions Zeiss made, but good.

And HEAVY.

Hermann

The 7x45 is HEAVY. Too heavy for what it does. Optically, well, it's good. Not sure it's that much better than the 7x42, especially the last versions Zeiss made, but good.

And HEAVY.

Hermann

Wow Hermann you are right.
The Dialyt 8x56 BGA weighs about 1.0 kg but the 7x45 NightOwl weighs 1.20 kg.

Lee

...anyone here had the opportunity to compare the 7x42 BGATP with the 7x45?

Yes; I have a good example of each. The two views feel much the same to me, very bright and sharp, with the same wide field and a "quiet" view - effortless and lovely. The edge characteristics of the two are different, though: the blurring at the far edge of the BGAT's FOV seems like it's mostly from field curvature, and it will sharpen up a bit with re-focusing; but the blurring at the far edge of the 7x45 feels like it has an astigmatic aspect, and it doesn't improve with re-focusing. In this regard the 7x45 is very much like the 7x42TFL. Both are superb 7x42/45s, in my opinion, though I wouldn't want to carry the 7x45 around all day - mine weighs 1.2kg, without strap or caps, compared to less than 800g for the BGAT.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back