• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A versatile digiscoping adapter (1 Viewer)

Hi Keith

It would also over come the potential problem of overtightening the grip in the excitement of the moment to get that once in a lifetime shot and damaging the scopes eyepiece !

Going to the machine shop over the next couple of days I will post again as to their comments on the practical side of doing this

Regards

Hello All,
I like the idea of modding the adaptor, however unless you can d.iy. or get it done cheaply we are back to paying out more money!.
I`m lucky because I repair the machinist`s computer and he makes any bits I need.
The way I see it is the adaptor works, albeit on the bulky side and will work with most compact cameras.
I have been trying out homemade adaptors for the last few months and narrowed down the essential requirements.
1) It is quick to put on and off.
2) It is accurate ( ie, spot on each time)
3) It is strong enough to support the camera
4) It does not move at the crucial moment
5) Its does no damage to the eyepeice
6) It doesn`t cost an arm and a leg!

This adaptor meets all the requirements (hopefully 5),
except the first (compared with a tube type adaptor).
Well thats my thoughts anyway!
I will get mine modified soon and let you know.
Regards,
Brian.
PS. DO NOT buy a Zeiss stay on case, they are crap!!!

Got my EZ-Pix 2 adaptor today from Scopetronics (same as Baader - larger model) and put it through initial tests.

I have mixed views about the adaptor. Below I have outlined where I see the adaptor being useful and where it will be plain frustrating:

USEFUL:
For taking pictures or video of subject in a specific location. For example a nesting bird, a specific feeder, astronomy pics etc. Here will definitely be an advantage over hand-holding.

FRUSTRATING:
Use in a scenario where the scope has to be refocused pretty frequently. This will require unclamping the adaptor and reclamping each time. On my kit (Swaro AT80HD w 20-60 locking eyepiece) the unscrewing of the main clamp takes too long and will therefore severely limit the opportunity to setup quickly for a shot.

I also believe that the X-Y-Z alignment mechanism, while catering for most digital cameras and scopes is a huge plus, is significantly inferior to the standard collar type adaptor that simply fits over the eyepiece and locks with one screw very quickly.

Finally, I would have to remove my scope case to use the adaptor in it's intended position. As a result, I use the adapter in a 90deg orientation instead.

So had I tested prior to buying the adaptor, would I still buy it .... the answer is a definite yes. I will continue to handhold my camera against my bottlecap based guide for most pictures once the light is fine. For pictures in failing light or of subjects in a predictable location or videoscoping, I will use the guide.

If the following two weaknesses could be worked out in a later model, it would be a killer adapter:

1) Main Clamp too slow to open and close based on screw style mechanism.
2) XYZ positioning mechanism less 'fiddly' for initial setup.

cABLE SHUTTER RELEASE FOR a95

sTEVE,
Excuse my ignorance but can you get a cable release for the A95? Thank you. Andrew

SteveC said:
Well I got my adaptor from David Hinds Ltd this morning and thought I'd share my intial thoughts.

First off its contructed very well, its nearly an all metal contruction apart from the camera support and the adjustment dials which are hardened plastic. The thread mechinism's for adjusting are easily set and the up and down axis has a locking dial to stop any acidental movement.
It fitted to my ES80ED 32xWW eyepiece with no problem and will probably fit scopes with even larger eyepieces, similarly my Canon A95 was also easy to fit, one slight problem is that the camera was a few centemeters lower then than the eyepiece but a small rubber washer soon sorted this out.
In use it is very stable and holds the camera in place well, even though it is a little heavy and bulky it didn't appear to cause any problems and for £30 you really cant complain.
Final thoughts : If your on a small budget or just starting out in digiscoping like me, you can't really go wrong with this adapter. Once set up it only takes a few seconds to fit to your scope as there is only one clamp to tighten, thus saving those other precious seconds to get the shot. Yes it is a bit bulky compared to other adapters, but those adapters cost 2 to 3 times more and it really isnt any bulker than a hide clamp.
What I have noticed now though is the need for a cable remote for the shutter button, the slight pressure on the shutter button does cause a slight shake and the picture does suffer from this. This isnt any fault of the adapter but the nature of digiscoping where the slightest movement is amplyfied by the scope magnification.
Final score then 9/10, it does exactly what its supposed to do and a brillant price.
Hope this helps anyone else thinking of buying one.

adkr said:
sTEVE,
Excuse my ignorance but can you get a cable release for the A95? Thank you. Andrew
You can get a release cable clamp from Jessops for about £22 and a cable for about £10. I bought one and the extra height from the clamp helped raise my camera just that little bit higher, thus removing the need for the rubber washer.

Not sure if canon do an electrical one or not.

Hope this helps

Heres another shot using the adaptor and A95

Steve

Attachments

• grego2.jpg
    grego2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 226
Hi There.
Just wondering if someone can please please help me. I have a Optricon Classic scope and have just bought a kodak z740 digicamera. I would love to do some digiscoping but I've been told I won't be able to get an adaptor fro it. PLEASE tell me this isn't true.

jane.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back