• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Fieldscope DSLR Attachment FSA-L1 on Canon 350D (1 Viewer)

hansbertil

Siberian Jaywalker
I have just bought the Nikon Fieldscope ED82A with eyepiece DS30x and it is very sharp and bright. I have tried some shots with Nikon Coolpix P4 and the Nikon FSB-4 bracket, but find it hard to get the best sharpness. I have tried using a magnifier looking at the camera display, but the display is not as exact as an optical view. The manual says I should use AutoFocusing when digiscoping, which is what I have tested so far. Others say I should set AF to infinity (5 meters and beyond) - have not tried that yet.
Anyway I see Nikon has an adapter for mounting a Nikon Digital SLR to the scope. It is called "Fieldscope Digital SLR Camera Attachment FSA-L1", and turns the scope into a 1000mm telephoto lens (1500 mm on half-size sensor cameras).
I have a Canon EOS 350D and some expensive Canon lenses, and does not want to buy a Nikon DSLR just to shoot through the scope. Finally my question! :scribe:
Does anyone know if it is possible (by using some adapter ring) to connect a Canon SLR to the Nikon FSA-L1 adapter???
I would be happy if that were possible.

I guess this is the same question as: "Can you mount a Nikon Lens on a Canon Camera?"

Hans Nydahl

Last edited:
ermine said:
This

http://www.camerahacker.com/Novoflex/EOSNIK.shtml

would seem to indicate yes, at a price...

Thanks for the tip Ermine! I have read the review and that was exactly what I needed. 200 dollars is cheaper than buying an Nikon DSLR for more than 1000 dollars. I assume the FSA-L1 adapter for the fieldscope must have the same "back" as the Nikon lenses, since it can be mounted on the Nikon cameras...

I found a review on the scope and the FSA-L1 on this link:

http://www.nital.it/experience/fieldscope4_eng.php

Now I will try to find a dealer for the Nikon/Eos adapter.

Last edited:
cp4500 vs Canon 350D

hansbertil said:
Now I will try to find a dealer for the Nikon/Eos adapter.

Hans,
If you haven't found one, you can buy it in NY: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=197094&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Ernmine and Hans,
I used to digiscoop with Nikon CP4500+F/S adapter+Fieldscoop II 60ED + 3 lenses set.
My CP4500 was stolen, and my Canon 350D+sigma 100-300 F/4 is not a replacement.
I have 2 options: to buy CP4500 on ebay (no new ones), or to buy the FSA-L1 adapter and the novoflex Nikon-Canon adapter.
Ignoring the price difference, which option is better?
Is there other options?

Thank you,
Ido

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back