• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Paramo jackets - which one? (1 Viewer)

green_ruk

Hi All

I spent an hour yesterday staring at a bank of Paramo outer jackets (and not helped by not having my size in all three for direct comparison)

Having dismissed the fleece+windproof jacket combo (which spookily then becomes waterproof.. ..clever these techie guys) and pull-over jackets I was left with the Pajaro (apparently designed for us outdoors types) Alta and Alta II. Now don't know about you lot but when I ask 'what is the main difference between these' question I don't expect dumb comments like 'this has got big outer pockets' on the Pajaro - der, I can see that thank you...

So, can any of you help me with key practical differences in terms of cut & feel, material used etc.? I can then do the value for money comparisons. And practical issues like water leakage into pockets (I have not yet come across an external bellow type pocket that doesn't suffer in heavy rain)? I notice for example on the Alta jackets that the lower pocket openings are 45degrees and vertical which is not necessarily clever for notebooks

Confused

Rob

I have the Alta II. Can't quite remember why I chose it over the Alta (perhaps it was lighter weight?). Anyway I'm very pleased with it and would happily recommend it. Haven't had any pocket leakage problems yet.

Pajero for me , I like the large lower pockets, good for gloves , hat etc. All depends on the kind of fit you like. A friend has the Velez smock and really likes it .

I wouldn't dismiss the Cascada, seems to work well and have adequate pockets and also quite a bit cheaper than the pajaro, doesn't have armpit vents though.

I wouldn't dismiss the Cascada, seems to work well and have adequate pockets and also quite a bit cheaper than the pajaro, doesn't have armpit vents though.

I use a Cascada and would recommend it to anyone, waterproof, windproof, warm and comfy - what more can you ask for in a coat. The big pockets on the Pajaro are nice but I prefer the angled pockets on the Cascada, much easier to stuff my hands in on a cold day.

I use the Cascada jacket and trousers, found the jacket so good I bought a second one (half price sale). I can thoroughly recommend both items.

I have the Cascade and Alta I. Cascada is a bit lighter but as other's have noted doesn't have the arm vents of the Alta. Nor does it have the slightly odd (in my view) vertical foam inserts which are apparently designed to help keep your rucksack off the small of your back. The Alta II is the later version and is slightly lighter than the I - don't know if there are any other differences.

As others have commented the Cascada is significantly cheaper than the Altas - I paid £100 for mine so may be considered the best value for money 4 seasons jacket in the Paramo range.

Whichever one you choose you'll have made a good choice!

John

I use a Cascada for birding/photography although I've got an Alta for mountains. The Cascada is really cheap now, available in dark green and at £99 from Go Outdoors is perfect for getting damaged in undergrowth/brambles and for the Wildlife photography that I do. If it gets ripped, just sew it up and reproof. The Cascada trousers are a boon in winter as they are both warm and waterproof but only available in blue.

QUOTE=Den;1070541]I use a Cascada for birding/photography although I've got an Alta for mountains. The Cascada is really cheap now, available in dark green and at £99 from Go Outdoors is perfect for getting damaged in undergrowth/brambles and for the Wildlife photography that I do. If it gets ripped, just sew it up and reproof. The Cascada trousers are a boon in winter as they are both warm and waterproof but only available in blue.[/QUOTE]

Another Cascada coat & trousers user...I like the longer length of the coat.
The trousers are available in forest green, the ladies version is http://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/shop/product.php?xProd=424&xSec=132&jssCart=8ce0f297f3e6b2c765e10e03ffce5959["]here[/URL]

Mens in grey here

Paramo are open to ideas on colours etc - see Skippy's posts on OutdoorsMagic

I walk the Brecon Beacons in all weather conditions in winter with a Cascada coat and trousers with just Tshirt underneath, warm and dry. If you are going to be standing around a lot in very cold weather a Mountain pull on is recomended. Wearing them for the first few times is a strange feeling as you can not belive something so light can do the job but they do.Except for very warm summer days I use them all the year round.

I too have a Cascada, which does the trick for me. Only slight niggle is that the cuff fasteners don't have velcro all the way to the end. This means that if I don't want the cuffs tightened fully the end with the press stud flaps about - other than that excellent.

Andrew

Wearing them for the first few times is a strange feeling as you can not believe something so light can do the job but they do.

Often Paramo is dismissed as being too heavy - like you I found that it just isn't...plus you'll wear less under it.

I was out a few days ago in a Montane Quickfire which is an Event membrane coat - it certainly keeps the rain out but feels like a heavyweight crisp packet - not the silk pyjamas feel of Paramo.

.......plus you'll wear less under it......

I've not been tempted to go streaking in it recently :-O

Seriously, I do a lot of walking as well as starting Birding and I've just bought a Pajero and as you say it is really light and warm and is more comfortable to wear than my Berghaus Jacket that I use for walking.

I would have no problems recommending it to anyone.

Hi
I have the Pajaro and having owned the CI single ventile I find this a much better, for me at least, jacket. I love plenty of pockets with plenty of room. This jacket has both, with enough to keep gloves, hat,guides and all my digiscoping gear in without to much trouble. The feel is good when on and any issues for others with weight are not troublesome to me. The hood is variable in volume and tightness with front and rear adjustment, as well as a wired peak that folds away remarkably out of the way. The hood has plenty of room to wear a hat under as well which is great.

The cuffs are cleverly designed to be adjustable without any bits of elastic whipping around in the wind although the hoods adjustment at the front can get in the way of using your bins as the elastic can get in the way.

Possibly a little long in the body for me but I am a tad shorter than most so this may be more my problem than the jackets.

It kept me watertight well enough and nice and warm whilst my Ultravids succumbed to internal water logging so at least the jacket does was it says on the tin.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back